U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of feminism?
I approve of feminism 57 58.16%
I strongly disapprove of feminism 41 41.84%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,964,781 times

Advertisements

I believe in HUMAN liberation. never mind that genital thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:30 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,847,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Feminism, just like anything else in the world, can be misused. Surprise. Surprise. HOWEVER, let me tell you what it was like for women back when I was young.

1. When I got my first job after being married I had to have the written permission of my husband before they would hire me.

2. When they interviewed me they asked me how bad my "monthlies" were and if they would cause me to miss work.

3. I worked right next too a young boy who still lived home with mom and dad and was working to support his car. We were doing the exact same job only I was much better at it. (Not bragging, just the truth.) He was paid almost a dollar an hour more than me. When I asked why I was told that "he's a man and needs more to support a family."

4. I can't even begin to count the number of times I was sexually harrassed and insulted when I wouldn't play along.

5. I couldn't get a credit card in my name. I couldn't buy a house in my name.

All of this did inspire me to go college and get my degrees in the mistaken belief that I would not suffer such indignities in the type of jobs an education would provide. The only thing that changed was the wardrobe of those who treated me in such a manner.

BUT, let me be completely honest here and say that, along the way, there were several good men who encouraged me, mentored me, stood up for me, and helped me achieve my goals. There were also wonderful women who helped me every step of the way.

The main thing is that those who dismiss feminism as unneccessary and harmful don't realize what it was like for women before their rights were realized. The nasty, petty insults that were swallowed on a daily basis and the big, important things like not being able to support your family or own a home or get a job for which you were qualified. Believe me, back in the day we weren't fighting for the "right" to open our own doors. Personally, if someone opens a door for me, I will walk through and say thank you.
It is a sad reminder to me that this was happening not very long ago. At least things have changed, and are still changing. Thank you for your inspiring post.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:33 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,611,577 times
I bet it must suck being a bitter, hateful soul.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I believe in HUMAN liberation. never mind that genital thing.
"I'm just a person trapped inside a woman's body." ~Elaine Boosler

Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 PM
LML

7,109 posts, read 7,942,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
LML - most young women today can't understand what is was like or what you went through. I can't either. That said, that was a long time ago. Women today don't have to deal with those conditions. Women have won the right to equality. Along with that right comes certain responsibilities. Any woman that works for me is treated with the same respect as any man. I
am an equal opportunity hard@@@.
Sir,
Women do not need to be taught our "responsiblities." Nor does it take a hard@@@ to enforce our taking care of those responsibilities. Women have been taking care of their responsibilities since the beginning of time. Our doing so did not begin when those men who were slow in understanding finally recognized that they could no longer prevent us from exercising the rights with which our Creator had endowed us. Unfortunately, too many men believe that is the woman's responsibility to work full time at a paying job that brings necessary income to the family coffers, and then work another full time job cleaning the house, raising the children, being a hostess for their social engagements, and still remain an energetic, loving woman to them. I'll be more impressed if you can convince me of the meeting of your responsibilities toward keeping your home in good shape, being a good and engaged father to your children, and not allowing your hobbies to infringe on our homelife to an extent that prevents you from taking care of your responsibilities there.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I bet it must suck being a bitter, hateful soul.
Who were you referring to?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Sir,
Women do not need to be taught our "responsiblities." Nor does it take a hard@@@ to enforce our taking care of those responsibilities. Women have been taking care of their responsibilities since the beginning of time. Our doing so did not begin when those men who were slow in understanding finally recognized that they could no longer prevent us from exercising the rights with which our Creator had endowed us. Unfortunately, too many men believe that is the woman's responsibility to work full time at a paying job that brings necessary income to the family coffers, and then work another full time job cleaning the house, raising the children, being a hostess for their social engagements, and still remain an energetic, loving woman to them. I'll be more impressed if you can convince me of the meeting of your responsibilities toward keeping your home in good shape, being a good and engaged father to your children, and not allowing your hobbies to infringe on our homelife to an extent that prevents you from taking care of your responsibilities there.
Been there and done that. Raised my kids and ensured they were taken care of physically and emotionally. Taught my girls to be strong, independent young women. Only married once. Don't cheat on the wife. Gave her the choice to work or raise kids. Spent many years working lots of hours to get to the point where I can sit on the couch with a laptop. This past year has been the first time I really slowed down in many. My life was work and family for 20+ years.

Everyone needs to be reminded of their responsibilities. It is the primary reason the country is in such bad shape in my opinion. It does take a hard@@@, sorry. Many young men and women today have no idea what it is to be an employee. There is an entire industry built on training young adults how to be adults. How weird is that?

I don't believe that a women can do it all. It's a myth created by feminists too afraid to admit they might need a man to make it. Kids are a full time job. A career is a full time job. Who can work two full time jobs for any length of time? Why would anybody want to if they had the choice?

Many athiest liberal types who denounce God and espouse evolution have a problem with being viewed as mothers. It is kind of in your DNA to be the nurturing member of our species. It is evolution.

Last edited by GOPATTA2D; 11-19-2009 at 11:16 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Who were you referring to?
Not you. Peace.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:21 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,175,815 times
Quote:
Feminism, just like anything else in the world, can be misused. Surprise. Surprise. HOWEVER, let me tell you what it was like for women back when I was young.

1. When I got my first job after being married I had to have the written permission of my husband before they would hire me.

2. When they interviewed me they asked me how bad my "monthlies" were and if they would cause me to miss work.

3. I worked right next too a young boy who still lived home with mom and dad and was working to support his car. We were doing the exact same job only I was much better at it. (Not bragging, just the truth.) He was paid almost a dollar an hour more than me. When I asked why I was told that "he's a man and needs more to support a family."

4. I can't even begin to count the number of times I was sexually harrassed and insulted when I wouldn't play along.

5. I couldn't get a credit card in my name. I couldn't buy a house in my name.

All of this did inspire me to go college and get my degrees in the mistaken belief that I would not suffer such indignities in the type of jobs an education would provide. The only thing that changed was the wardrobe of those who treated me in such a manner.

BUT, let me be completely honest here and say that, along the way, there were several good men who encouraged me, mentored me, stood up for me, and helped me achieve my goals. There were also wonderful women who helped me every step of the way.

The main thing is that those who dismiss feminism as unneccessary and harmful don't realize what it was like for women before their rights were realized. The nasty, petty insults that were swallowed on a daily basis and the big, important things like not being able to support your family or own a home or get a job for which you were qualified. Believe me, back in the day we weren't fighting for the "right" to open our own doors. Personally, if someone opens a door for me, I will walk through and say thank you.
Wanted to rep you for this, but I have to 'spread it around'. So let these suffice -
Also wanted to mention that sometimes that bias in the workplace still sneaks in, at least it did as late as the mid-90s. After my kids were grown and I decided I was ready for full time employment, my husband managed to get me a job in the auto plant where he worked. They put me on a job installing hoses on engines. After two days doing that my arms were bruised up to the elbows. So I went to the foreman to ask if there was some sort of protection I could wear on my forearms. Or maybe a different job he could put me on. His remark - "we always put women on this job because it's the easiest one in the plant" - caused me to leave in the middle of the shift and never return.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:41 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,646,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
hard to take any one serious with these posts. to address you bias and unequal view of women and relationships (if indeed these posts are not a joke!)

....the cost to family and marriage was enormous. yes perhaps, but before the feminism women were abused and stayed silent. women were unable to have credit or hold a job other than school teacher, secretary or nurse. so most got out of terrible situations and lots went into the work force to earn money for their families.
largest prison population in the world
...and this has to do with women, how? I was under the impression most of prison population are men not women. can't blame a woman for forcing a man to commit crime.
a creeping distrust between the sexes that will never be restored
...men have said this since adam
marriage down 50%
divorce up 50%
this info comes from where?
shame for making men property.
there isn't a man I know who is property of a woman.
shame for abusing men.
true abused men by women are a very small percentage. abuse is never right.
shame for taking his income and property.
it is called a partnership. the income and property are both of theirs.
shame for rotten kids.
men should not help raise their kids. maybe it is the absent father, that if he was around the kids would not be so rotten? eh?
shame for putting him in debt forever against his will...
yeah right what about the women married to cheap men that refuse to spend a dime. a man should be man to have the kind of relationship where him and his wife know the budget.
shame for making him a servant in his own home.
hard to imagine any man putting up with being a 'servant" in hi s own home.
but there is no shame is there
only me me me.
again hard to take a post like this seriously
what does any of this have to do with women? you say nothing at all, but is that really true friend-- is it really all about him?

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-20-2009 at 12:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies