U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of feminism?
I approve of feminism 57 58.16%
I strongly disapprove of feminism 41 41.84%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:44 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,598,264 times

Advertisements

LML, go find a business owner. Talk to him or her about the difficulties of managing a workforce. There are some very good young professionals out there. When I was in the CPA profession the mommy track was a big issue. It is a demanding profession. It always has been. Everyone was warned about the committment. They warned me when I started. Later as I moved up we would have a bet (a pool) over who would crack first. When you take a job like that, you have a responsibility to your client, who is waiting on your work to run their business. For example, many small businesses cant get a loan renewed with audited financial statements. Their employees might not get paid if you don't complete the audit on time. It is not a 40 hour/week job. If a woman takes the job should she get special consideration just because she has kids? Some firms might do that, but isn't that discrimination? Many men sacrifice to provide for their families. They have kids also.

In our current business we also deal with clients and deadlines. In some respects the stakes are larger. I understand the need for family time, but if one signs up to play the game, they better bring 100% to the field. Anything less is wrong. We pay good wages and offer good benefits. We demand a lot, and give a lot in return when we can. Come crunch time, I don't care about soccer practice or anything else that conflicts with work; you agreed to the responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,254,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Canít vote. I believe women should be treated no differently than men.

But what feminism in now is a branch of the liberal political machine.

After NOW and other organizations refused to stand up to the sexist attacks that Sarah Palin suffered and even some of the sexist attacks that Hillary Clinton suffered when it was apparent that Obama was going to win, it became apparent to me that winning and being liberal was more important than fighting for equality for all women.
Bingo! I expected the feminists (I use that term loosely, meaning no disrespect to the original feminists who made our lives so much better) to skewer Sarah Palin, but I was really surprised at the way they turned so viciously on Hillary Clinton. I didn't see that coming.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 AM

38,803 posts, read 19,574,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Someone needs to define "feminism" as a term. Otherwise this thread is just stupid.

If by "feminism" one means a movement which sought to ensure equal and fair treatment for women and girls, then I'm definitely a feminist. But "feminism" has become tainted by all kinds of crap, and because of that, I can no longer casually describe myself as a feminist unless the person to whom I am speaking clarifies the definition.

For example, feminism is repugnant inasmuch as it created an "us and them" war between males and females, led to women and girls imitating the very worst in male attributes, or to absurd attempts to make men and women equivalent (as opposed to equal). Any time one gender asserts that their way and their outlook is superior, and seeks to put down the opposite gender, then one evil has merely been traded out for another.

I find many women who blab about being feminists are actually quite insufferable and man-hating. I doubt that the early feminists, who were truly fighting for equal rights and equal opportunities, would be very sympathetic to the spoiled whining that goes on in feminist camps today.

Feminists should be on the frontlines of the battle against Islamic human rights abuses against women, instead of yammering on about how the U.S. government should provide them with subsidized childcare. Priorities, anyone?? Talk about a bunch of spoiled, idiotic, and privileged white women!
Excellent post and I agree.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:29 AM

38,803 posts, read 19,574,286 times
The original intent of the woman's right's movement is what I strongly support: Equality between women and men versus women being treated as second class citizens, equal rights and pay in the workplace, freedom to vote and the freedom to use their First Amendment rights to speak their minds, etc.

I really hate what the women's liberation movement has become in recent decades: male hating, pro-abortion rights, anti-child, anti-marriage, pro-****, etc.

I like what this poster had to say about the women's rights movement which is linked from another thread. Controversial but this poster hit the nail on the head.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/11657234-post22.html

Old 11-20-2009, 03:13 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,067,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I really hate what the women's liberation movement has become in recent decades: male hating, pro-abortion rights, anti-child, anti-marriage, pro-****, etc.
You sure see something that I don't.
When did feminism become "male hating" or any other thing?
There are different factions who believe different things.
One group does not speak for all.

Why would you even make such an absurd assumption?

I'm not surprised that you agree with a misogynist.
Don't forget: blame women first and always.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,580,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The original intent of the woman's right's movement is what I strongly support: Equality between women and men versus women being treated as second class citizens, equal rights and pay in the workplace, freedom to vote and the freedom to use their First Amendment rights to speak their minds, etc.

I like what this poster had to say about the women's rights movement which is linked from another thread. Controversial but this poster hit the nail on the head.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/11657234-post22.html
You seem to be right. But personally, I see nothing wrong with child phobia or abortion.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,014,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You sure see something that I don't.
When did feminism become "male hating" or any other thing?
There are different factions who believe different things.
One group does not speak for all.

Why would you even make such an absurd assumption?

I'm not surprised that you agree with a misogynist.
Don't forget: blame women first and always.

I guess some live in another world...I don't see any of that either ( unless I deliberately go looking for fringe material) and I know lots of women who are feminists...

But I haven't ever seen any facts from that poster, just emotions and hatred of any woman who doesn't "behave herself".

Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 AM

123 posts, read 175,060 times
i'm all for equality for everyone, but most women and minority organizations as a whole don't seem too interested in equality. all these organizations like NOW and NAACP are about is special interest in my opinion. i'm a black male by the way so please, miss me with the, "you're a sexist/racist comments". if women really wanted equality, they would call themselves humanists.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:00 AM

15,746 posts, read 8,551,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
[/font][/color]

How so?

[color=black][font=Verdana]

Could you please be specific about the sexist attacks leveled against Sarah Palin and Hilary Clinton?
Newsweek mag this week is a political piece on Palin. The cover has her in running shorts. It belittles her as a serious person.

Hillary was took more than a few shots at what she was wearing etc. There were several shots at her that no man would have to deal with.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,014,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Newsweek mag this week is a political piece on Palin. The cover has her in running shorts. It belittles her as a serious person.

First I don't know why it belittles her...running is great exercise....and she obviously loves showing off her legs AND DID pose for the photo of her own free will.
Keep up...NOW did issue a statement about it.

Hillary was took more than a few shots at what she was wearing etc. There were several shots at her that no man would have to deal with.
You're right, this country IS still very sexist.

However, I would find more fault with the SEXISTS who made the remarks(REPUBS) ...not the people who didn't fight them ( and many did).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies