U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of feminism?
I approve of feminism 57 58.16%
I strongly disapprove of feminism 41 41.84%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 01:16 PM

13,496 posts, read 13,981,177 times

Advertisements

there is no such word pre-born in any dictionary I have looked at. the unborn would be a better use for what you are trying to convey. most women, feminist or not are completely against and horrified at all of the atrocities in lifelong's post. to ask what are the feminist doing to address this issue is to single out a group to solve the problem when it is a problem that should concern all the world not just women who believe in equality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 01:23 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,577,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
there is no such word pre-born in any dictionary I have looked at. the unborn would be a better use for what you are trying to convey. most women, feminist or not are completely against and horrified at all of the atrocities in lifelong's post. to ask what are the feminist doing to address this issue is to single out a group to solve the problem when it is a problem that should concern all the world not just women who believe in equality.
You are right. Unborn is the proper term versus pre-born.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:37 PM

13,496 posts, read 13,981,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
You are right. Unborn is the proper term versus pre-born.
chat we agree on some things. I wish abortion was something that no women had to even think about.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:38 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,070,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
R Or, do you reflect the very face of feminism?
Don't put the "face of feminism" burden on me.
I speak for myself.
Do I believe in equality for women? Absolutely.
That's all feminism is.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Your straw man arguments are absurd.

So what are you doing to end the plight of women throughout the world while you demonize the ones in your own country who want equality for both sexes?

You're the one who brought it up, so I would expect that you can answer your own question.

Can't you?

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-20-2009 at 02:03 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 01:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,581,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
chat we agree on some things. I wish abortion was something that no women had to even think about.
But what if the woman is pregnant, but their husbands never want to be a father?

Old 11-20-2009, 01:52 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,162,527 times
Quote:
Just because my views are not shared by yourself or by LML I am not being "intellectually dishonest". Wow...just the B**chy remark one would expect from a feminist too!
I probably wouldn't have called you 'intellectually dishonest' for the remark about the 'pre-born'. But you do come off as anti-woman with the above remark about 'bitchy feminists'.

Quote:
Try watching a sonogram of an baby in the womb when a probe is inserted into the womb. The baby tries to move and get away; unborn babies have survival instincts. They are not just an unfeeling glob of cells as those who throw about the term "fetus" would like other women to believe.
I don't think there's a woman on here (especially not those of us who have had children) who doesn't know that a fetus if given time would eventually be a human child. And this really is NOT an abortion debate - it's about whether one agrees with equal rights for women. Apparantly, you do not.

Quote:
Tell me where the feminist outcry is on the imposition of Shariah Law and genital mutilation of young girls??? Why is it that the modern feminist movement is usually against women defending their lives and those of their families with firearms?Feminists are astoundingly silent and often completely absent on too many serious subjects that directly affect the health, well being, safety, and lives of women and their children.
Don't know about anyone else, but I'd really like a source for your assertion that 'the modern feminist movement' is against women defending themselves.

Quote:
I have found feminists, as a species, to be hypocrits of the most disgusting order. What is your measure of intellectual honesty? One who shares your viewpoints?
Intellectual honesty would entail using correct terms for the concepts one is discussing rather than making up terms to represent one's viewpoint.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:55 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,395,599 times
As a male, I'm all for feminism unless a woman uses her legal rights to take away a man's rights. Or uses her accomplishments to degrade a man or hold it over his head.

Personally, I have no interest in having a stay-at-home wife, but a woman trying to take my place as the head of the household is a big no-no.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:58 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,162,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
For goodness sake start thinking rationally and quit making blanket assumptions. I have never understood why it is that some people need to believe that "all" of any group of people think and act alike. Just look at the false assumptions that some people make. "All black people...." "All Muslims.....", "All Christians.......", "All southerners....." "All men....." "All women....." " All feminists......."

The truth is that groups are made up of individuals with their own ideas and beliefs and while they may share some things in common they definately do NOT share everything in common. Chielgirl and I are both feminist. I am pro-life, Chielgirl is pro-choice. I am a Christian. Chielgirl is an athiest. But we are both strong feminist and both pretty liberal. There are people on this board with whom I agree on some things and disagree on other things. For the most part we are able to have intelligent discussions about issues because we don't make the mistake of believing we must agree about every single thing in order to respect one another's opinions. Try it. You may learn something.
Well stated. And I think you and I are another example of the underlined statement.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
As a male, I'm all for feminism unless a woman uses her legal rights to take away a man's rights. Or uses her accomplishments to degrade a man or hold it over his head.

Personally, I have no interest in having a stay-at-home wife, but a woman trying to take my place as the head of the household is a big no-no.
Funny, I've always looked at my household as a joint effort.
My partner and I are full partners.

So, you agree with equality, but want to be more equal.
Do I have that right?

Old 11-20-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
But what if the woman is pregnant, but their husbands never want to be a father?
Should have used birth control.
It's the woman's choice; pure and simple.
It's her body that is incubator, or not.

Don't want babies, get sterilized.
You don't get to demonize the woman for personal choices you won't make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies