U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of feminism?
I approve of feminism 57 58.16%
I strongly disapprove of feminism 41 41.84%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 04:05 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,153,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
And here is where we have the problem. Most women dont want to pay the costs that come with the equal rights. They want to be treated like men when they want to. But when it does not suit them they crawl back to the whole...but Im a woman thing.

So I am for it but only if it is completely equal.
Got any stats on this? or is it your opinion?
Will there be some, sure; but will there be some men who behae badly, sure.

Or are you judging women on higher standards across the board than you do men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 04:18 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,153,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i feel that the womens movement made some changes in divorce laws that were harmful to men.
i had to pay my ex's credit cards (its called a "negotiated settlement) which made for a huge settlement for the divorce, scrubbed toilets for 3 1/2 years at night and worked a high stress hostile job to pay it all off, $112,000 plus take care of my own sick parents (took care of hers b4 they died). i know i am not a perfect person but i was good to her and her family, everybody says so even her.i didnt deserve that kind of punishment. here in california we got community property so when wives got their own credit cards that meant here guys gota pay em. she was really into credit cards after her mom died. i know the law says he is only 1/2 responsible for her credit cards but it seems the lawyers drag out the case if you dont agree to a a quick settlement, "quick settlement" means you pay her cards. dragging out the case means you gota pay the lawyer fee every month could run more than the cards.
The Straight Facts on Women in Poverty

Women in America are more likely to be poor than men. Over half of the 37 million Americans living in poverty today are women. And women in America are further behind than women in other countries—the gap in poverty rates between men and women is wider in America than anywhere else in the Western world. Consider the following facts:

Poverty rates are higher for women than men. In 2007,13.8 percent of females were poor compared to 11.1 percent of men.

Women are poorer than men in all racial and ethnic groups. Recent data shows that 26.5 percent of African American women are poor compared to 22.3 percent of African American men; 23.6 percent of Hispanic women are poor compared to 19.6 percent of Hispanic men; 10.7 percent of Asian women are poor compared to 9.7 percent of Asian men; and 11.6 percent of white women are poor compared to 9.4 percent of white men.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:49 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,070,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Hard to believe that even in this small sampling of AMERICANS, ya know, those people who believe in liberty, and freedom and human rights and say our troops die for that....8 people believe:

Women shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Shouldn't own property.

Should have to give any income to their husband's or fathers.

Can be beaten by their husbands legally.

Can be divorced and thrown out into the street with nothing, not money, not their children , the husband keeps all.

Can be incarcerated in a mental institution if her family says she should be.
The only place where this is true is in islamic countries. As a previous post points out feminists are un charistically silent.

Cannot smoke.

Cannot own their own businesses.

Only have four career choices...homemaker, hooker, school teacher, nurse.

Legally should be paid a fraction of what men earn no matter what they do.

There's more but those who are against feminism, which is simply EQUALITY, are FOR the above....what horribly SICK individuals......
The only place where this is true is in islamic countries where feminists protests are uncharacteristically silent. If you believe your own post, that the US is as you describe, then you have a much bigger problem then we can deal with here.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,174,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
do you have any idea the prejudice and discrimination men received when they entered nursing?
the same women's movement people that gave the lectures on equality acted like the worst male chauvanists when the shoe was on the other foot.
we become what we hate.
I'd be more likely to consider that a case of what my mother called "job snobbery". Women were expected to become nurses; men were expected to become doctors. And men who wanted to be nurses instead of doctors were looked on as 'sissy boys' for wanting a 'woman's' job. And it was no easier for the woman who wanted to be a doctor instead of 'settling' for being a nurse.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:36 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,072,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
The only place where this is true is in islamic countries where feminists protests are uncharacteristically silent. If you believe your own post, that the US is as you describe, then you have a much bigger problem then we can deal with here.
Sorry, you're totally unaware of the history of this country.

Those things used to be true and FEMINISM changed them. Therefore, those who are against feminism would like those things to be true now.

Here's the list (partial) that the anti-feminist, anti-equality people want:

Women shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Shouldn't own property.

Should have to give any income to their husband's or fathers.

Can be beaten by their husbands legally.

Can be divorced and thrown out into the street with nothing, not money, not their children , the husband keeps all.

Can be incarcerated in a mental institution if her family says she should be.

Have to wear unhealthy undergarments to be considered "decent".

Can't wear pants.

Cannot smoke.

Cannot own their own businesses.

Only have four career choices...homemaker, hooker, school teacher, nurse.

Legally should be paid a fraction of what men earn no matter what they do.

Should never discus politics or business...it's unladylike.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:20 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,840,981 times
Quote:
The only place where this is true is in islamic countries where feminists protests are uncharacteristically silent.
Feminism in Islam was discussed at length earlier in thread.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:25 AM

19,081 posts, read 21,262,959 times
Quote:
Well , there's a new twist this old feminist hasn't seen!!!
Thank you for something new!!!

Womyn! I love it ! You...you ...extremist, you!
LOL *grins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
For instance, my mom has been a single mother, a strong, independent black woman who makes her own money, and doesn't put up with mess from any man (including me lol). But I don't think she considers herself a feminist. Just a woman doin her thing.
That is feminism in a nut shell for me. Just stay out of my way. You don't bother me, I don't bother you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I both approve and disapprove. They want all the same rights but at none of the same costs. I say, if you want equal rights then you get equal rights in every sence of the word(s). Equal time for equal crime. Everything is equal across the board. Both for men and women. The rights women are entitled to men would have to be entitled to as well.

And here is where we have the problem. Most women dont want to pay the costs that come with the equal rights. They want to be treated like men when they want to. But when it does not suit them they crawl back to the whole...but Im a woman thing.

So I am for it but only if it is completely equal.
Tell me how this plays out in my day-to-day. Typical day for Braunwyn and her dh- I get up 6ish, go to work, bust my arse. I get home between 6-8pm. Dh gets up around 5am, leaves for school at 6am and comes home around 1pm. He takes care of the dog, studies, whatever. If he's not slammed, he'll make dinner when I arrive. We'll hang out, he'll study, and I'll work some more or come to CD. Then it's bed time...wash/repeat.

Where does your rhetoric play out in my daily activities? I'm a feminist. What costs am I not paying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I know his point exactly.

Feminism means getting the "good" rights men enjoy, not having to take on the responsibilities and retaing traditional female protections, even creating new ones.

For example: Feminists wanted women to have careers and earn money, but still reatain alimony protections in event of divorce, which heavily favor women. They wanted women to be equal earners, but still put the burden of support and providing on the men. In sum, they want women to be able to provide for themselves (fine) but still treat divorce as if they cannot so the man has to fork over alimony even if the woman is perfectly capable of getting a job.
Poppy ****. Before I married, my dh had tax debt (still does). We file jointly because of the tax deduction and avoidance of the penalty of filing separate. While we make monthly payments to the IRS, however small lol, they seize my tax return. I could jump through a few hoops to avoid this, but I don't. His debt is my debt. If we were to divorce, I would not get any alimony. He would. If we divorce, half of our home is his, even tho he doesn't contribute financially. And rightly so, imo. We're married. That's what I signed up for.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:02 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,070,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Okay, I 'get' your equation. But I do need to ask you for an example of what you call 'misguided fake causes'. Misguided I can maybe go along with, but to call a cause 'fake' you would have to believe that it means nothing to anyone. Obviously it means (or meant) something to someone or it wouldn't be a 'cause'.
Fake would be the wage disparity theory between men and women. It's really a very simple manipulation of numbers that every feminist enthusiastically promotes and believes.
Women work less hours overall then men and take extended leave during their careers. They also choose different careers. Comparisons of M&F that account for this have no such gap. Totaling these numbers may be interesting to some but the results are irrelevant. If women worked twice as hard for half the pay, as some believe, females would hold all the jobs. What employer would hire a man for twice the pay at half production. On it's face the claim is ridiculous. Fem leaders decided a womans place for us. At home raising children was not that place. Fudging the numbers was for the greater good.
The same methods are used in domestic violence and rape.
For a group that claims to not hate men they seem to take a lot of joy in hating us!
Remember, mans best friend is his dog.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:13 AM

19,081 posts, read 21,262,959 times
Quote:
Fake would be the wage disparity theory between men and women. It's really a very simple manipulation of numbers that every feminist enthusiastically promotes and believes.
Women work less hours overall then men and take extended leave during their careers. They also choose different careers. Comparisons of M&F that account for this have no such gap. Totaling these numbers may be interesting to some but the results are irrelevant. If women worked twice as hard for half the pay, as some believe, females would hold all the jobs. What employer would hire a man for twice the pay at half production. On it's face the claim is ridiculous. Fem leaders decided a womans place for us. At home raising children was not that place. Fudging the numbers was for the greater good.
The same methods are used in domestic violence and rape.
For a group that claims to not hate men they seem to take a lot of joy in hating us!
Remember, mans best friend is his dog.
As it stands, part of the issue is balancing home life with work life for many women. Way too many women, based on what I have been reading, take on too much responsibility. For example, I was just reading this...

"A growing number of high level professional women are choosing to leave their jobs to pursue a home life. Why would highly educated, successful women give up promising careers? In her new book,"Opting Out," sociology Professor Pam Stone examines American moms struggling to balance both work and family, noticing that women often aren't opting out — instead they're being shut out. Even the brightest women have fewer options around balancing work and family than society assumes. "
Why are moms giving up careers? - Family and health

But, I think there are options for professional women. The most important decision, imo, for a professional woman is to choose her mate carefully...pragmatically. A mate that will contribute 50% to running the household. I have no doubt that I will not run into the problems many women face because my dh will not leave the running of the household to me (kids, pets, bills, cleaning, etc). We discussed this before we married. And we're discussing it again now that we've decided to have children. Otherwise, it simply won't happen.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:46 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,401,747 times
Quote:
Yes, and feminists fought to get her the right to do and be what she wants to do and be!
To get into the army, yeah maybe. But everything else she did because she had to do.

I'm sure my mother is quite a bit older than the women on this thread, so if anything, her accomplishments are because of women's rights being pushed during the early and mid 20th century. Things were so different from then up until the 80s, which is why I'm pretty sure my mom wouldn't call herself a feminist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies