U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of feminism?
I approve of feminism 57 58.16%
I strongly disapprove of feminism 41 41.84%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:30 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,000,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
You never addressed my question. Here it is again so you don't have to go fishing around for it.

"If you needed rescuing in a burning building, would you want an "incompetent" firefighter who lack the physical strength to rescue you regardless of gender?"
There is no doubt about the fact that some jobs are suitable for men versus women and vice versa.

That being said, I would want the firefighter to be trained and passed physical tests. Gender does not matter to me but yes, a man is better suited for the job.

If a woman wants to be a firefighter, more power to her. She can work out and make herself stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 08:36 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,009,919 times
Quote:
You never addressed my question. Here it is again so you don't have to go fishing around for it.

"If you needed rescuing in a burning building, would you want an "incompetent" firefighter who lack the physical strength to rescue you regardless of gender?"
OF course I wouldn't want a woman to try to rescue me from a burning building...we both die trying to decide who should hold the door!!!

I mean would my ego need more building up or would hers...it's all so confusing!!!!

However, if a fireman had a penis I'd sure feel a lot safer! It makes all the difference in the world.....so women shouldn't EVER be given an opportunity to be firefighters.

Of course, I 'd want a competent firefighter....I'd also like a competent investment broker like Bernie Madoff, a competent AIRLINE PILOT...oh, let's see how those male airline pilots are sleeping...oh, I mean, drinking, er.. I mean doing...Yuppers, put a penis on it and it is perfection personified....ready to be worshipped by the weak.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:42 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,567,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
There is no doubt about the fact that some jobs are suitable for men versus women and vice versa.

That being said, I would want the firefighter to be trained and passed physical tests. Gender does not matter to me but yes, a man is better suited for the job.

If a woman wants to be a firefighter, more power to her. She can work out and make herself stronger.
Thank you! This is the response I was hoping for. I'm all for gender equality in the workplace, which means that the person who gets the job needs to be trully qualified.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:47 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,567,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OF course I wouldn't want a woman to try to rescue me from a burning building...we both die trying to decide who should hold the door!!!

I mean would my ego need more building up or would hers...it's all so confusing!!!!

However, if a fireman had a penis I'd sure feel a lot safer! It makes all the difference in the world.....so women shouldn't EVER be given an opportunity to be firefighters.

Of course, I 'd want a competent firefighter....I'd also like a competent investment broker like Bernie Madoff, a competent AIRLINE PILOT...oh, let's see how those male airline pilots are sleeping...oh, I mean, drinking, er.. I mean doing...Yuppers, put a penis on it and it is perfection personified....ready to be worshipped by the weak.
There is more to gender differences than the simple fact that a man has a "penis" and a woman has a "vagina." In many cases (not all), men are physically stronger than women so in positions requiring strength, men usually (not always) outweight women in those professions. Regarding investment brokers, airline pilots and other professions that do not require physical strength; then women and men should be granted equal opportunity to vie for these positions provided that they have the training, etc.. I don't care what gender my nurse or firefighter is, all I care about is whether they can perform the job or not!

Old 11-22-2009, 08:51 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,048,174 times
I think all women should be feminine. I don't believe they should be feminists.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:53 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,000,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post

So sit around and be your husbands ***** while producing babies. NICE! And while we are at it, why not be his property too?

Old 11-22-2009, 08:56 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,194,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
there you go-- read "small change" bottom 3rd paragraph. this is only 1/2 the assertion. but i need the author and interviewer with kpbs. will call them monday when they are open. im working on it.
Small change: Does ‘microlending’ actually fight poverty? - The Boston Globe
From your link...

"the studies see no impact on gender roles, and find evidence that if any one group benefits more, it’s male entrepreneurs with existing businesses."

How you translate this into a gender issue, I don't know. Of course existing businesses will fare better. That's a matter of simple common sense. Nothing in your link provides evidence to back up your earlier statements.

Quote:
btw did you say "respect"???? have you seen the comments posted to me on this thread???
Most of the time I just skim your posts, since they're usually personal stories. I don't pay any attention to people that respond to them.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:08 PM

19,216 posts, read 12,464,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Are there any feminine women out there who aren't crazy-azz religious?

Last edited by ergohead; 11-22-2009 at 09:34 PM..

Old 11-22-2009, 09:15 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,194,953 times
Quote:
Many of us who voted against it did clarify. We fully support equality but the current brand of feminism is "anti-male, anti-child, anti-marriage, etc." This is why I voted against feminism. No, I am not a neanderthal.
Maybe I missed it, but I have not seen any anti-marriage, anti-child, rhetoric. A number of us are in awesome marriages. We are SAHM's, professionals, singles, etc. Frankly, I feel something else is going on here. I'm just not sure what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Seriously I thought we had moved beyong this point of the discussion. Explain the "current brand of feminism", who exactly are you referring to? Are there current feminist leaders or organizations that you are referring to? People keep bringing this up without clarification, so I am at a loss. I consider myself a feminist, and I am a happily married stay-at-home mom, does that mean I am not eligible in the "current feminist" club?. A feminist is any woman or man who thinks that people should be treated equally, it's really that simple.
Well stated.

Quote:
I can open a door for myself and have opened doors for both men and women out of respect. As a lady, I do enjoy chivalry and having a gentleman treat me like a lady. Unfortunately, the militant feminist movement of the past few decades have vilified this behavior in men so they are avoid chivalry to avoid offending ladies. It's sad.
My dh pulls my chair when we dine. I wait for him to do so. He opens my door, dotes on me, etc. It's our thing. At work, everybody holds the door for everybody else. It's simple common courtesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Woman haters?

I love women, but I have also watched feminism over many years hurt many women, many men, many children, and ruin many a workplace environment. Our country is not a better place after a generation and a half of feminism.
LOL your work place, your children, your life. This is more a matter of social class than anything else. Unsuccessful people would not automatically find themselves in success if women were not allowed to work, vote, etc. Not allowing women access to education wouldn't magically educate you. Thwarting women from choices would not make you a better partner. Take responsibility for your own life.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:02 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,060,346 times
Got anything to say?
You're reiterating previous posts.
Yeah, it was great when men made sexual comments in the workplace; how about those naked posters? Very conducive to a good working environment.
Inappropriate touching, yeah, that's something I should grow accustomed to.
Not.

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-22-2009 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies