U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What do you think of feminism?
I approve of feminism 57 58.16%
I strongly disapprove of feminism 41 41.84%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2009, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,779 posts, read 3,382,526 times
Reputation: 944

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I think it is odd that you automatically thought it was radical feminism. There was nothing that mentioned it.

Anyone can be anti-male, anti-marriage, anti-traditional sentiments, pro abortion and they have a right to be. They do not have to be women or feminists. I do not believe in tradition and would never push it down anybodies throat. I am pro abortion and always will be. Anti male? It happens sometimes. Men. Sigh sigh! When will they learn?

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions that you vote against the same women who fought for your rights.
y'all been demonizing anyone that disagrees with feminisim as "misogynists" and "woman haters" in this here very thread.....

But according to y'all it's ok for someone to be anti-male?

That sort of anti- male sentiment is exactly why I voted "strongly disapprove".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2009, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,064,188 times
Reputation: 11273
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Amuse Myself View Post
See this is exactly what brings a bad taste in my mouth when i hear feminism. I respect the women who fought for equal rights. I'm all for equal rights.

You're reading into something that isn't there, You're sounding more bitter than anything else.

What i said was that i don't like it when it turns to the over zealous "Men are pigs" or "Men are horrible" and what not. Sure alot of us are, mot not all of us are that bad. I also said that i dislike women that try to go BEYOND equal rights. You have got all your way to equal rights, fought bled and cried for them. And i wish that you will finally be able to enjoy the fruit of that labor.

But sounding this bitter and reading something that isn't there. Is not going to change my view on feminism. I'm sorry.
Women are still fighting for equal rights.
You refer to women hating men, have you read your posts, you clearly show contempt and disdain for women.
But I guess that's okay because they're lesser than you are.

You apparently know what they should feel and be.

I don't agree with all men, but I don't feel contempt for them all, nor do I agree with them all. You might try it sometime.

Let me guess, you're a promise keeper.

BTW, no need to respond, I doubt I'll see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,064,188 times
Reputation: 11273
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
y'all been demonizing anyone that disagrees with feminisim as "misogynists" and "woman haters" in this here very thread.....

But according to y'all it's ok for someone to be anti-male?

That sort of anti- male sentiment is exactly why I voted "strongly disapprove".
There are several misogynistic women on this thread, too.
Yeah, that equal rights stuff makes women radicals and man-haters.
Right.

Are you men still angry that women can vote and work outside of the home?

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-23-2009 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,779 posts, read 3,382,526 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Wow, what an angry post.



First I have got to say how offensive to say something as perverse as S.C.U.M would ever reflect the majority of feminists, much less the feminists who have posted here. Valerie Solanas was an unbalanced woman, part of the lunatic fringe.



Not all feminists are lesbians, and not all lesbians are feminists. Huge generalization. And safe houses are sadly still needed in this day and age as gay youth are still rejected by their families, and picked on by their peers.



For once this issue actually has very little to do with men, perhaps men feel slighted and that is why they keep on bringing up this non-existent war between men and women. Feminism is not about the differences between men and women, but rather the similarities.
Valerie Solanos was not ostracized by other feminists like other groups ostracized their radicals. The continued acceptance of radicals such as her is a reflection on the movement as a whole. They even made a movie based on her life. A chapter president for NOW described Solanas as "an outstanding champion of women's rights".

Excerpts from her book were included in another feminist publication by Robin Morgan, who als demonstarted for her release from prison.

Several feminists consider Valerie Solanas a "martyr".

Valerie Solanas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 10:46 PM
 
13,072 posts, read 11,074,869 times
Reputation: 2606
Men and women are different. This should be expected. They have differing commonalities and traits to which are strengths in varying areas depending on the focus.

This is not a bad thing. Being less capable in one aspect, yet more capable in another is not a failure, it is an exception of difference. To think all are equal is a fallacy. Not all are equal and this is especially noted in the variance of sexes. This is not to say that "some women" or "some men" do not contest each other in these areas, but generally as the basics of their differences, there are key noted qualities of each. To quibble over who is best at issues in the general manner that some seem to obtain is pointless.

Accept and embrace the qualities of these each individual strengths, yet note that there are exceptions of those who can reach levels of those in comparison. If that is done, then while "generally" the rule may apply, the exception always stands above.

I respect the "intention" of feminism, but I despise the agenda of such. The intention is to state equality as a general rule of possibility, the agenda demands such as an absolute and the fact is that as a rule man and woman are not the same and never will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 47,313,389 times
Reputation: 6944
From my experiences feminists are collectivists and do not care about individualism nor do they celebrate or respect differences. Feminists that I have had the unfortunate experience with were chauvinists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Men and women are different. This should be expected. They have differing commonalities and traits to which are strengths in varying areas depending on the focus.

This is not a bad thing. Being less capable in one aspect, yet more capable in another is not a failure, it is an exception of difference. To think all are equal is a fallacy. Not all are equal and this is especially noted in the variance of sexes. This is not to say that "some women" or "some men" do not contest each other in these areas, but generally as the basics of their differences, there are key noted qualities of each. To quibble over who is best at issues in the general manner that some seem to obtain is pointless.

Accept and embrace the qualities of these each individual strengths, yet note that there are exceptions of those who can reach levels of those in comparison. If that is done, then while "generally" the rule may apply, the exception always stands above.

I respect the "intention" of feminism, but I despise the agenda of such. The intention is to state equality as a general rule of possibility, the agenda demands such as an absolute and the fact is that as a rule man and woman are not the same and never will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,064,188 times
Reputation: 11273
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
From my experiences feminists are collectivists and do not care about individualism nor do they celebrate or respect differences. Feminists that I have had the unfortunate experience with were chauvinists.
Excellent generalization.
I'm so pleased to see that you know more about me and thousands of other women that you can determine exactly what we are and what we believe.

Good go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Geneva, IL
12,976 posts, read 11,792,833 times
Reputation: 14677
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Valerie Solanos was not ostracized by other feminists like other groups ostracized their radicals. The continued acceptance of radicals such as her is a reflection on the movement as a whole. They even made a movie based on her life. A chapter president for NOW described Solanas as "an outstanding champion of women's rights".

Excerpts from her book were included in another feminist publication by Robin Morgan, who als demonstarted for her release from prison.

Several feminists consider Valerie Solanas a "martyr".

Valerie Solanas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is your point. One militant, deranged feminist now represents what I and all other women believe somehow. Some of her writings were interesting, some utterly crazed. From your link:

"After her release from prison in 1971, she was regarded by some as a martyr. When she persisted in stalking Warhol and others over the telephone, however, she was arrested again. An interview with her was published in the Village Voice in 1977. She denied that the SCUM Manifesto was ever meant to be taken literally.Solanas drifted into obscurity and was in and out of mental hospital."

It would be the same as me saying well I guess I respect men, but I don't like Mussolini, so.......... all men must be like Mussolini, so I guess I don't like men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Geneva, IL
12,976 posts, read 11,792,833 times
Reputation: 14677
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
y'all been demonizing anyone that disagrees with feminisim as "misogynists" and "woman haters" in this here very thread.....

But according to y'all it's ok for someone to be anti-male?

That sort of anti- male sentiment is exactly why I voted "strongly disapprove".
Don't you get it, this thread is not about men, and please show me one post that expressed anti-male sentiment. BUT, there sure are a lot of posts that show total disdain for women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2009, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,779 posts, read 3,382,526 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
What is your point. One militant, deranged feminist now represents what I and all other women believe somehow. Some of her writings were interesting, some utterly crazed. From your link:

"After her release from prison in 1971, she was regarded by some as a martyr. When she persisted in stalking Warhol and others over the telephone, however, she was arrested again. An interview with her was published in the Village Voice in 1977. She denied that the SCUM Manifesto was ever meant to be taken literally.Solanas drifted into obscurity and was in and out of mental hospital."

It would be the same as me saying well I guess I respect men, but I don't like Mussolini, so.......... all men must be like Mussolini, so I guess I don't like men.

Here we go again again assuming.... woman=feminist.

You and many other feminists in this thread have made that assumption and try to attack anyone who disagrees with feminism as a woman hater, despite the fact that several women have come out in this thread against feminism.

Assuming all women are feminists is sterotyping women....oh wait a second.....isn't that what feminism was supposedly trying to dispel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top