Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of feminism?
I approve of feminism 57 58.16%
I strongly disapprove of feminism 41 41.84%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 01:30 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,883,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I agree that political correctness be damned when it comes to violations of human rights, especially in the US. For the most part I think education and understanding about other cultures and other religions is critical in determining what beliefs are tolerated, and what beliefs are violations or abuses.

I do think some of the issues facing Muslim women, especially in the Middle-East are compounded by the war. I really don't want to get into a debate over the war, but rather the repurcussions for women. For about 8 years I have followed an organization called RAWA, that from conception fought for democracy of all people, but specifically women in Afghanistan. Now they are not just rebelling against fundamentalism, but also US occupation, and have become very militantly anti-American. It is very sad, because they used to have strong ties with feminist organizations in the US, but now not so much. Articles on their website are at times difficult to read, but well worth it.

And also worth mentioning that there are initiatives out there worth supporting, such as The Afghan Women Empowerment Act, S. 229 (http://www.capwiz.com/now/issues/alert/?alertid=13935851 - broken link).
'

Yeah, I don't want to invite a debate on that topic either, only want to say that war always has such a destabilizing effect on any social struggle and it's very sad when progress that was so hard won is rolled back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 01:32 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,137,880 times
Quote:
I agree that political correctness be damned when it comes to violations of human rights, especially in the US. For the most part I think education and understanding about other cultures and other religions is critical in determining what beliefs are tolerated, and what beliefs are violations or abuses.

I do think some of the issues facing Muslim women, especially in the Middle-East are compounded by the war. I really don't want to get into a debate over the war, but rather the repurcussions for women. For about 8 years I have followed an organization called RAWA, that from conception fought for democracy of all people, but specifically women in Afghanistan. Now they are not just rebelling against fundamentalism, but also US occupation, and have become very militantly anti-American. It is very sad, because they used to have strong ties with feminist organizations in the US, but now not so much. Articles on their website are at times difficult to read, but well worth it.

And also worth mentioning that there are initiatives out there worth supporting, such as The Afghan Women Empowerment Act, S. 229 (http://www.capwiz.com/now/issues/alert/?alertid=13935851 - broken link).

Would Muslims who believe in equality for women be deemed extremists by the rest of the Muslim world?

Old 11-19-2009, 01:40 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Zimbochick, if you have to ask, then chances are you probably don't understand the true definition of feminism either.

Chielgirl is a tireless defender of Islam, and Islam is the most anti-feminist (to put it mildly) force in the world today. Our founding feminist mothers would roll over in the graves to see an entire generation of female youth slobbering all over themselves to defend rapists and murderers and garden-variety oppressors.
I'd be very interested in your pointing me anywhere at any time where I defend any religious belief.
Knock yourself out, I'll wait... and wait... and wait.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:52 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the womens movement was founded to right some wrongs.
it resulted in part in doing so.
but the cost to family and marriage was enormous.
largest prison population in the world
a creeping distrust between the sexes that will never be restored
marriage down 50%
divorce up 50%

it used to be "we"
now its only "me me me".
the sky is cryin sing it.
Shame on women not wanting to be owned by men.
Shame on them for demanding equality.
Shame on them for not accepting abuse.
Shame on them for demanding equal pay for equal work.
Shame on them for demanding the vote.
Shame on them for wanting to own property.
Shame on them for being people.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Would Muslims who believe in equality for women be deemed extremists by the rest of the Muslim world?
Anyone have an answer???

Old 11-19-2009, 03:33 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,553,701 times
Quote:
I would think they would be viewed as extremists by the majority of muslims.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...icle524704.ece

Qantara.de - Feminist Islam

Old 11-19-2009, 03:38 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,369,530 times
Can’t vote. I believe women should be treated no differently than men.

But what feminism in now is a branch of the liberal political machine.

After NOW and other organizations refused to stand up to the sexist attacks that Sarah Palin suffered and even some of the sexist attacks that Hillary Clinton suffered when it was apparent that Obama was going to win, it became apparent to me that winning and being liberal was more important than fighting for equality for all women.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I would think they would be viewed as extremists by the majority of muslims.

Fatwa is now a feminist issue -Times Online

Qantara.de - Feminist Islam
Thank you.

As TV's Craig Ferguson would say, "ReMINNNND you of anyone?"

Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,553,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
But what feminism in now is a branch of the liberal political machine.

How so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
After NOW and other organizations refused to stand up to the sexist attacks that Sarah Palin suffered and even some of the sexist attacks that Hillary Clinton suffered when it was apparent that Obama was going to win, it became apparent to me that winning and being liberal was more important than fighting for equality for all women.
Could you please be specific about the sexist attacks leveled against Sarah Palin and Hilary Clinton?

Old 11-19-2009, 05:23 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,393 times
Quote:
I think the thing is--and I actually took a grad class on feminism and the Middle East--that those who are loudest and most extreme seem to exceed their actual numbers. That's true in any culture, even ours. The extremes at both ends of the political spectrum make tons of noise. For a lot of reasons, these extremes have gained control in some Muslim countries. While life for many women may not be great in many Muslim countries, on the whole, I believe that most people are in the middle. They live their lives pretty much as other people do.

A good book that shows this is *Three Cups of Tea.* It is the true story of how one American man built and continues to build elementary schools throughout Afghanistan and then Pakistan. He believes that from simply educating girls at an elementary level in small and remote villages, much change can follow. It's a cool back. If anyone has any extra money, I'd give it to an organization like that guy's. Almost all the money goes directly to building and staffing the schools. The guy's name is Greg Mortenson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies