Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 05:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Just to add to what pghquest said justifying any government expens with "it's just a few million" or whatever the figure may be is one of the problems with government today from your local government to the federal level. Those few millions add up to billions. It's just a few pennies when I get change each day but at the end of the year it's usually about $20. Anybody here going to refuse that money because it just a few pennies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 09:52 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
According to the following report, I count 15 staff positions for Laura Bush. The role the first lady is expected to play has changed since the days of Lincoln.

NATIONAL JOURNAL: 2007 White House Salary List (http://www.nationaljournal.com/about/njweekly/stories/2007/whsalaries.htm - broken link)

Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 AM

857 posts, read 2,001,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
I know its from July but worth bringing back up!

In my own life, in my own small way, I have tried
give back to this country that has given me so much,
she said. "See, that's why I left a job at a big
law firm for a career in public service, "...
Michelle Obama

No, Michele Obama does not get paid to serve as the First Lady and she doesn't perform any official duties. But this hasn't deterred her from hiring an unprecedented number of staffers to cater to her every whim and to satisfy her every request in the midst of the Great Recession. Just think, Mary Lincoln was taken to task for purchasing china for the White House during the Civil War. And Mamie Eisenhower had to shell out the salary for her personal secretary from her husband's salary.

Total Personal Staff members for other first ladies paid by taxpayers:
Mamie Eisenhower : 1 paid for personally out of President's salary

J.Kennedy: 1.
Roseline Carter: 1
Barbara Bush: 1
Hilary Clinton: 3
Laura Bush: 1

Michele Obama: 22

How things have changed! If you're one of the tens of millions of Americans facing certain destitution, earning less than subsistence wages stocking the shelves at Wal-Mart or serving up McDonald cheeseburgers, prepare to scream and then come to realize that the benefit package for these servants of Ms Michelle are the same as
members of the national security and defense departments and the bill for these assorted lackeys is paid by YOU, John Q. Public:

Michele Obama's personal staff:

1. $172,200 - Sher, Susan (Chief Of Staff)
2. $140,000 - Frye, Jocelyn C. (Deputy Assistant to the President and Director of Policy And Projects For The First Lady)
3. $113,000 - Rogers, Desiree G. (Special Assistant to the President and
White House Social Secretary for Mrs. Obama)
4. $102,000 - Johnston, Camille Y. (Special Assistant to the President and
Director of Communications for the First Lady)
5. $100,000 - Winter, Melissa E. (Special Assistant to the President and
Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
6. $90,000 - Medina , David S. (Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady
7. $84,000 - Lel yveld, Catherine M. (Director and Press Secretary to the First Lady)
8. $75,000 - Starkey, Frances M. (Director of Scheduling and Advance
for the First Lady)
9. $70,000 - Sanders, Trooper (Deputy Director of Policy and Projects

for the First Lady)
10. $65,000 - Burnough, Erinn J. (Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary
11. $64,000 - Reinstein, Joseph B. (Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary
12. $62,000 - Goodman, Jennifer R. (Deputy Director of Scheduling and
Events Coordinator For The First Lady)
13. $60,000 - Fitts, Alan O. (Deputy Director of Advance and Trip Director
for the First Lady)
14. $57,500 - Lewis, Dana M. (Special Assistant and Personal Aide to the First Lady
15. $52,500 - Mustaphi, Semonti M. (Associate Director and Deputy Press Secretary
to the First Lady)
16. $50,000 - Jarvis, Kristen E. (Special Assistant for Scheduling and Traveling Aide
to the First Lady)
17. $45,000 - Lechtenberg, Tyler A. (Associate Director of Correspondence
for the First Lady)
18. $43,000 - Tubman, Samanth a (Deputy Associate Director, Social Office
19. $40,000 - Boswell, Joseph J. (Executive Assistant to the Chief Of Staff

to the First Lady)
20. $36,000 - Armbruster, Sally M. (Staff Assistant to the Social Secretary
21. $35,000 - Bookey, Natalie (Staff Assistant)
22. $35,000 - Jackson, Deilia A. (Deputy Associate Director of Correspondence
for the First Lady)

Total = $1,591,200 in annual salaries)

There has NEVER been anyone in the White House at any time
who has created such an army of staffers whose sole duties
are the facilitation of the First Lady's social life. One wonders
why she needs so much help, at taxpayer expense.

Note: This does not include makeup artist Ingrid Grimes-Miles, 49,
and "First Hairstylist" Johnny Wright, 31, both of whom traveled
aboard Air Force One to Europe.
Copyright 2009 Canada Free Press.Com
canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/12652

And let me get this straight. The press ripped S.Palin to pieces over her $150,00.00 wardrobe during the elections that wasnt tax payers money but there sillent on this...sad

Yes, I know, The Canadian Free Press had to publish this perhaps because America no longer has a free press and the USA media is too scared that they might be considered racist or suffer at the hands of Obama.
Sorry America !
The only thing that is true here is that yes, michelle obama has 22 staffers.
Everything else is either a blatant lie (Laura Bush did not have 1 staff member - i don't know the exact number, but it was comparable to MO), or just made-up speculation (you're really going to comment on Mary Lincoln's white house duties?)

nice try, though.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:14 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
This crap has been completely debunked over and over. Right here on CD too! Just do a search. Why oh why do you just blindly accept this drivel when you see it? Do you believe everything you read from the left? My guess is no. So don't believe everything from the right either. Do your own research and let the FACTS guide you, not third hand puke from extremely biased and bitter sources. Don't be a sheep. It just makes you look stupid and gullible.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
According to the following report, I count 15 staff positions for Laura Bush. The role the first lady is expected to play has changed since the days of Lincoln.

NATIONAL JOURNAL: 2007 White House Salary List (http://www.nationaljournal.com/about/njweekly/stories/2007/whsalaries.htm - broken link)
I counted 16 on the 2008 list. 2008 White House Office Staff List - Salary - washingtonpost.com

Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post

Plus Mary Lincoln was crazy and depressed. "Oh, I'll just have a set of china, I guess..."

Old 11-19-2009, 11:57 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
While I find the fact that people are complaining about the first lady having/needing a staff just unreasonable, I find this reply just as pathetic. I mean seriously, when did we start justifying the need for things based upon cost per capita?
I'm not justifying anything. I'm replying to the OP's list of salaries. The entire OP focuses on cost, so I replied in kind.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:05 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Hmmm...a quick check through the history of First Ladies shows that Jackie Kennedy actually had a staff of forty, while Hillary Clinton was able to make do with just thirty-five...

Old 11-19-2009, 12:07 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
The only thing that is true here is that yes, michelle obama has 22 staffers.
Everything else is either a blatant lie (Laura Bush did not have 1 staff member - i don't know the exact number, but it was comparable to MO), or just made-up speculation (you're really going to comment on Mary Lincoln's white house duties?)

nice try, though.
Pay the OP no mind. It's just a slow news week.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:12 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
I'm curious as to why the OP skipped Nancy Reagan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies