Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:35 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,791 times

Advertisements

I'm still waiting on the evidence that 99% of all terrorists are Muslim bit..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:37 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Who's denying it?
That was my whole point, but the mere suggestion of fruitcakes on the left seemed to make you defensive of your side.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:40 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The war on terror is a military activity.
against what country?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,063,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
against what country?
Any country that supports terrorism.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
against what country?
Against no country. I was pointing out the obvious to the poster who mentioned the war on poverty. I guess some people can't see the difference between a rhetorical device and literal use of language.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I'm still waiting on the evidence that 99% of all terrorists are Muslim bit..........
To bring some actual stats into it, here are the stats according to the National Counter Terrorism Center's 2008 Report on Terrorism. I don't know of a stat about the actual number of terrorists because I doubt they answer surveys about being a terrorist. These are the stats about the number of deaths by perpetrator category:

http://wits.nctc.gov/ReportPDF.do?f=...annexfinal.pdf

Islamic Extremists (Sunni) - 8284
Unknown: 3721
Secular/Political/Anarchist: 2513
Christian Extremist - 932
Other - 906

Old 11-19-2009, 12:02 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
I'm out of reps for a while, but that's a good answer. The war on terror is a global war. It's Terrorists without Borders (sort of like the term most people are familiar with, "Doctors without Borders".)

A few years ago, when I started reading about the Islam frame of mind, especially those on the extreme of it, one of the authors said that Muslim extremists have patience, and that they will integrate into our society and use our own laws to their advantage, from within.

I can see that taking shape. They will use political correctness and any organization that stands ready to defend their "civil liberties". They are intelligent, and they will study and become doctors and lawyes and engineers and teachers/professors. They may already be in those professions. Hasan was a psychiatrist, trying to brainwash his patients. I recently came across a physician here in the US who got his medical degree at the University of Mosul. Nice, quiet, gentle man, probably a follower of "peaceful" Islam. At least, I'd like to think so and give him the benefit of the doubt.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:16 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post

Ok and how many countries fit that description? How many countries do you think we should be invading?

Old 11-19-2009, 12:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
There are others that do not like the phrase "War on Terror" including me.

The "War on terror" against
Osama Bin Laden, a radical Islamist trained by the US during the 1980s to conduct guerilla attacks against the Soviet Army in Afghanistan and The "War on terror" against Al-Qaeda.

From Wikipedia:

The phrase "War on Terrorism" was first widely used by the Western press to refer to the attempts by European governments, and eventually the US government, to stop attacks by anarchists against leaders and officials. For example, on 24 January 1878, Russian Marxist Vera Zasulich shot and wounded a Russian police commander who was known to torture suspects. She threw down her weapon without killing him, announcing; "I am a terrorist, not a killer."

On September 20, 2001, during a televised address to a joint session of congress, President George W. Bush launched the war on terror when he said, "Our war on terror begins with al Qaeda, but it does not end there. It will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated." Bush stated in an unscripted and controversial comment: "This crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while." Bush later apologized for this remark due to the negative connotations the word crusade has to people of Muslim faith. The word crusade was not used again.

The Director of Public Prosecutions and head of the Crown Prosecution Service in the United Kingdom, Ken McDonald—Britain's most senior criminal prosecutor—has stated that those responsible for acts of terror such as the 7 July 2005 London bombings are not "soldiers" in a war, but "inadequates" who should be dealt with by the criminal justice system. He added that a "culture of legislative restraint" was needed in passing anti-terrorism laws, and that a "primary purpose" of the violent attacks was to tempt countries such as Britain to "abandon our values."

He stated that in the eyes of the British criminal justice system, the response to terrorism had to be "proportionate, and grounded in due process and the rule of law":

“ London is not a battlefield. Those innocents who were murdered...were not victims of war. And the men who killed them were not, as in their vanity they claimed on their ludicrous videos, 'soldiers'. They were deluded, narcissistic inadequates. They were criminals. They were fantasists. We need to be very clear about this. On the streets of London there is no such thing as a war on terror. The fight against terrorism on the streets of Britain is not a war. It is the prevention of crime, the enforcement of our laws, and the winning of justice for those damaged by their infringement.”

In January 2009, the British Foreign Secretary, David Miliband, wrote "ultimately, the notion is misleading and mistaken" and later said "Historians will judge whether [the notion] has done more harm than good".

Bush's use of the word "crusade" makes my stomach turn. I am very glad Obama did away with the phrase

Old 11-19-2009, 01:06 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
To bring some actual stats into it, here are the stats according to the National Counter Terrorism Center's 2008 Report on Terrorism. I don't know of a stat about the actual number of terrorists because I doubt they answer surveys about being a terrorist. These are the stats about the number of deaths by perpetrator category:

http://wits.nctc.gov/ReportPDF.do?f=...annexfinal.pdf

Islamic Extremists (Sunni) - 8284
Unknown: 3721
Secular/Political/Anarchist: 2513
Christian Extremist - 932
Other - 906
Interesting. From those stats, that is about 50% -- not even close to 99%!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies