U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 01:33 PM

39,020 posts, read 23,141,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Eric Holder even has said we have never captured a foreign terrorist on a foreign battlefield and brought them to America for trial
Why is it such a matter of contention where someone was apprehended?
We extradite people all the time from one jurisdiction to another. In this case, we extradited a terrorist from military jurisdiction to civilian jurisdiction? Didn't we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 01:38 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,679,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
We extradite people all the time from one jurisdiction to another. In this case, we extradited a terrorist from military jurisdiction to civilian jurisdiction? Didn't we?
I haven't followed this discussion so excuse me if I'm off topic. In my opinion, the concern is the drastically different rules and methods of functioning between the military and civilian police. They operate under completely different systems, and it's not reasonable to expect the military to follow the same rules as the police. They find out where a guy is and kick in the door versus getting a warrant. They have to move very quickly and are often under fire and don't have the luxury of the same circumstances like taping off an area to gather evidence and interview witnesses, and mark spent shells on the sidewalk for forensics.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I haven't followed this discussion so excuse me if I'm off topic. In my opinion, the concern is the drastically different rules and methods of functioning between the military and civilian police. They operate under completely different systems, and it's not reasonable to expect the military to follow the same rules as the police. They find out where a guy is and kick in the door versus getting a warrant. They have to move very quickly and are often under fire and don't have the luxury of the same circumstances like taping off an area to gather evidence and interview witnesses, and mark spent shells on the sidewalk for forensics.
I appreciate the different rules. Different rules apply in different jurisdictions, too. And bounty hunters don't have to follow the same rules as civilian police.
I don't think that AG Holder made this decision lightly. I'm sure the Justice Department did a careful vetting of the evidence that would be available to the prosecution and evidence that might be challenged. They have no intention of letting KSM go. So given that, why is it such a matter of contention that we captured KSM in foreign territory?

Old 11-19-2009, 03:57 PM

23,873 posts, read 17,571,986 times
holder is wayyyy over his head.

way to pick 'em, bammers!

Old 11-19-2009, 03:58 PM

12,482 posts, read 8,509,536 times
Quote:
Name one enemy combatant that was captured on foreign soil and tried in civilian American court, any war any time in history that this has happened

Old 11-19-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Name one enemy combatant that was captured on foreign soil and tried in civilian American court, any war any time in history that this has happened
This hasn't happened before. So what????

Because it hasn't happened before, it shouldn't ever happen? That's not an argument. Make an argument for why it shouldn't happen, and make a good argument.

We extradite people, even from foreign soil, and successfully try them.

We have tried terrorists before, in NYC, in federal court, with success.

We actually have court precedents recognizing that different authorities have different standards for the treatment of prisoners.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the different rules. Different rules apply in different jurisdictions, too. And bounty hunters don't have to follow the same rules as civilian police.
I don't think that AG Holder made this decision lightly. I'm sure the Justice Department did a careful vetting of the evidence that would be available to the prosecution and evidence that might be challenged. They have no intention of letting KSM go. So given that, why is it such a matter of contention that we captured KSM in foreign territory?
He made this choice because he knew he could call Rove Bush and Cheney to testify.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
This hasn't happened before. So what????

Because it hasn't happened before, it shouldn't ever happen? That's not an argument. Make an argument for why it shouldn't happen, and make a good argument.

We extradite people, even from foreign soil, and successfully try them.

We have tried terrorists before, in NYC, in federal court, with success.

We actually have court precedents recognizing that different authorities have different standards for the treatment of prisoners.
The reason it has not happened is because military tribunals are used. The guy already confessed and a tribunal would execute him. Her his very confession will be ruled not admissible. Why would Holder do this? To put bush and Chaney on the stand. This is a terrible error .

Old 11-19-2009, 04:14 PM

12,205 posts, read 7,340,869 times
Quote:
The reason it has not happened is because military tribunals are used. The guy already confessed and a tribunal would execute him. Her his very confession will be ruled not admissible. Why would Holder do this? To put bush and Chaney on the stand. This is a terrible error .
Why would his confession not be admissible? He made a video for his followers before he was even captured taking full credit for the attack and detailing exactly how he did it. Why would they not admit that confession/boast into court and skip all the bull that was obtained with torture?

Old 11-19-2009, 04:39 PM

13,155 posts, read 16,871,109 times
Quote:
I agree. I think it is a calculated (but terrible) move. There's more to this decision than we know, and whatever it is, it's designed to be in the Administration's favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies