U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 PM

8,640 posts, read 7,778,514 times

Advertisements

Want to bet there is still free tuition for the illegal immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 PM

47,576 posts, read 59,065,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
So let's spend nearly 40% on defense? That's a better allocation of funds? I know it's a state institution, however, I feel that allotting some money either to the institution or the students (more grants, scholarships) is a good way to decrease college drop out rate, thus help continue to solidify the US as a core research nation.
If someone is so worried about spending on the military, well nothing stops them from signing up and getting a GI bill.

Or here's an idea, to keep tuition the same, how about cutting the big salaries of the professors of these liberal schools in half? Certainly the professors wouldn't mind a big pay cut to keep these students happy.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
So you don't benefit from an educated workforce to compete globally? Wow, that's an interesting take.
Nope. When you push for globalism, remember it's far cheaper to import immigrants who are already trained and ready to work and will work for far less than these arrogant kids who think everything should be handed to them on a silver platter.

And you're for open borders and unlimited immigration so you should be understanding of the fact that there are plenty of people who want jobs here and will work them more cheaply. There's no real good reason to burden taxpayers will the costs of education when the educated from third world countries can easily be enticed to move here.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What about students in the past? Didn't parents always foot the bill for their child's college education 30-40 years ago as most college students then were traditional students that did not work while in college? The whole concept of students working while going to school part-time is more of a recent phenomenon of these past few decades.
I think you have it backward, I believe 30-40 years ago, far more students didn't have the entitlement attitude and worked to help pay tuition and living expenses. Today they believe that 15-18 hours to show up to class every week is a "full load" and that the rest of their time must be devoted to partying, video games, concerts, and the famous spring break activties.

In the past it was common for kids to go 15-18 hours to class, work 30-40 hours besides.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:42 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,413,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Nope. When you push for globalism, remember it's far cheaper to import immigrants who are already trained and ready to work and will work for far less than these arrogant kids who think everything should be handed to them on a silver platter.

And you're for open borders and unlimited immigration so you should be understanding of the fact that there are plenty of people who want jobs here and will work them more cheaply. There's no real good reason to burden taxpayers will the costs of education when the educated from third world countries can easily be enticed to move here.
While that sounds so anti-American it is a true statement.
Can't disagree you on on your points. PhD's in other countries will work for a mere $35-$40K USD per year and they live well on that type of salary in their country.

And they come here to go to college and pay much higher tuition rates as international students. The trend though is that colleges in other countries are catching up and many now go to college in their own country.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:48 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,413,643 times
Quote:
I think you have it backward, I believe 30-40 years ago, far more students didn't have the entitlement attitude and worked to help pay tuition and living expenses. Today they believe that 15-18 hours to show up to class every week is a "full load" and that the rest of their time must be devoted to partying, video games, concerts, and the famous spring break activties.

In the past it was common for kids to go 15-18 hours to class, work 30-40 hours besides.
I'll attest to that. Joined the Reserves and worked two jobs to save..once I qualified, I had GI money to spend on tuition..then I had 2 part time jobs while going to school full time and managed to keep a 3.9 GPA (that dang physics class beat the crap out of me).

Granted I had no social life for those 4 years..but it was all worth it when I got that Engineering degree. That was over 20 years ago.

I'm currently taking classes at the local Community College and I can tell you the drive, the ethic just isn't there. The competitiveness isn't there..they are happy to "just pass". My class of 35 is down to 12 since August.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,052,730 times
Quote:

Hey,

I go to school full time and would work more hours at my job if they could provide it.

I do not think all my free time should be partying, video games, concerts. In my life, I have never been to one party at college campus (I am scared of them after the things I hear) and I have only been to one concert.I study in my free time and obviously use time management to set up some free time for personal enjoyment.

Just wanted to let you know that not all students think this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'll attest to that. Joined the Reserves and worked two jobs to save..once I qualified, I had GI money to spend on tuition..then I had 2 part time jobs while going to school full time and managed to keep a 3.9 GPA (that dang physics class beat the crap out of me).

Granted I had no social life for those 4 years..but it was all worth it when I got that Engineering degree. That was over 20 years ago.

I'm currently taking classes at the local Community College and I can tell you the drive, the ethic just isn't there. The competitiveness isn't there..they are happy to "just pass". My class of 35 is down to 12 since August.
I too agree here. There is no work ethic. Last year, I was working 2 part jobs and going full time. One job went to a different location so I could no longer go there.

Right now, I have a 3.8 at my university. Before that, I went to Community College and you are soo right. There is no drive. They are there to just pass and stay on parents insurance.

SO very sad.

Last edited by Theliberalvoice; 11-20-2009 at 11:10 PM..

Old 11-21-2009, 12:23 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,101,941 times
If someone is so worried about spending on the military, well nothing stops them from signing up and getting a GI bill.

Why should these be my only options? I wanted to help children, specifically autistic children. Going to college helped me with that, fighting in a war wouldn't help in obtaining that.

It's more telling of where our priorities are as a nation. We present two options. Option 1: take out loans and go into debt. Option 2: Military. Doesn't anyone see a problem with this?

Or here's an idea, to keep tuition the same, how about cutting the big salaries of the professors of these liberal schools in half? Certainly the professors wouldn't mind a big pay cut to keep these students happy.

Professors don't make that much. It's mostly the administration. I was a science major, most of professors were not into politics.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:40 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,101,941 times
Quote:

Not for open borders or unlimited immigration. Nor am I a "kid" that thinks everything should be handed to them on a silver platter.

In fact, I'm a guy who had more like 25 hrs of classes and worked about 20 hrs a week. I took out loans for my tuition. I got about 10k in scholarships. I worked hard to get where I'm at.

Most kids in the UC system are like me. My family is very typical of the average UC demographic. Suburban Californian with a family making roughly 80-100k a year. One parent college educated. One immigrant parent. Pretty much the average demographic of a UC student. I got a 4.5 in high school. 1220 SATs (out of 1600).

But your false nostalgia and warped political views are such that we shouldn't focus on the future doctors, lawyers, adminstrators, teachers, scientists, etc...

It's actually better for business to have an educated population. Hence why CA, despite all its problems, remains a place of innovation.

If it wasn't for the UC system and other universities in CA, we would have a much poorer CA.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
But your false nostalgia and warped political views are such that we shouldn't focus on the future doctors, lawyers, adminstrators, teachers, scientists, etc...
Again - why should we? We've got people knocking down the doors to get into this country and we can simply import all those job descriptions and they'll work for a lot less money than those USA-born students you see rioting.

Why should it be just construction workers who must compete with the third world for jobs? When it comes to saving the taxpayers' money, not raising taxes and finding cheap imported labor for those jobs, suddenly people want USA born even if the anchor generation? It doesn't really make sense to have unlimited immigration to fill only some jobs in order to save money for a select few, we can import doctors, lawyers, and so on too who'll work for low wages - and work harder than these rioting types would ever work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies