U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:02 PM

27,903 posts, read 33,489,197 times

Advertisements

Don't let the door hit you were the good lord split ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 01:06 AM

2,653 posts, read 4,605,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
By all means let's cut education spending first!

Sadly, we must not scrimp on the $680 Billlon Dollar military budget that equals the entire rest of the World's military spending combined! (with only 20% of World GDP) A figure that could pay for Obama's health care plan 12x times over. .......If we did that we would be "caving into terrorism".

Pay for your own education free loaders!

The USA will be leading the way again. Just you wait till all this military spending and survival-of-the fittest education policy produces results!

Man I can't wait! ..................... Brazil here we come!
Gee, I did'nt know the state of CA spent $700B on defense?

Oh, wait they don't. They don't spend a dime. What do they spend $200B a year on?
-Sky high pension & bloated compensation packages for the public employees whose unions fuel the democratic legislature's campaigns.
-Billions in healthcare and other gov't services for Illegal immigrants who should'nt even be here.
-Billions more to supplement federal welfare payments to one of the hghest levels in the US.
-Countless millions on regulateing every aspect of peoples lives
- Millions more for panels, commisions and oversight boards doing duplicate, triplicate and waste-plicate work that really exist solely to provide landing spots for termed out politicans in Sacramento.

So if all the kids in Berkerly wanna go complain - head due east to Sacramento and go talk to your fellow liberals who are in the state legislature, run the public employee unions, LULAC, La Raza, etc. and hold all those feather bedding commision jobs.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:34 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,086,580 times
That is ridiculous but if they don't like paying that kind of ridiculous rate, then they have options just like others do. Community colleges don't cost $30-50K a year. They offer a better deal and if these kids don't have the math skills to realize that, maybe they aren't cut out for college at all.

It's not that easy. Clearly you have not been there. Community colleges are HIGHLY impacted as well.

You're pro-immigration so why can't you see we can just as easily import our future doctors, future teachers and every thing else just like you were so happy to see the blue color types replaced by cheaper imports? Plenty of doctors in India and Pakistan, plenty of teachers there too as well as software programmers who will gladly work for far less wages and look how much we can save by simply importing them rather than putting these kids through school at $40K a year each.

Doesn't have ANYTHING to do with this situation. With an increased population there will still be a need for an increased amount of college educated people. Work for lower wages? Not always the case. In fact, typically not the case.

As far as not understanding the situation of the average American college aged person, whe I was that, I worked 40-50 hours, took a full load of courses, commuted to save money by living at home. I paid my own way - and that was when minimum wage was considerably less than $7 an hour. Yeah, so I ate a lot of macaroni and cheese, ramen noodles, peanut butter sandwiches, drove a used car which I had bought myself, and didn't have the wild spring break vacations in luxury resorts like Cancun, but I survived.

No you did not work 40-50 hrs a week with a full course load. That's simply a lie. When did you have the time to work 40-50 hrs a week and study? Nice fabrication. Luxury vacations to Cancun? I don't know of a single person at UCSB who went to Cancun on a luxury vacation spring break...

As far as kids today, believe it or not there are kids today who work long hours, attend classes at a community college which is very affordable, they pay their own way, and are majoring in studies that will get them real life jobs.

Again, easier said than done.

Again - why should we pay $40K or more year to educate these kids over 5 or 6 years when they'll come out demanding $100,000 or more salaries when immigrants would come already trained, ready to work and be happy with $50,000 a year? Cheap imported labor isn't just for the blue collar class you know. You certainly justify the displacement of American construction workers and anyone without a degree. What goes around, comes around.

Nobody is "demanding" 100k salary straight of college. Didn't justify the displacement of American construction workers...simply said that they did not have their wages lowered by illegal immigrants. Displacement? The majority of construction workers are American. Are you sure you are reading my posts? Or are you simply so biased you can't see past your own agenda?

Old 11-23-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
How horrible $10,000 to go to CAL.
That's not including housing, books, campus fees, and food. It comes out closer to 25-30k a year. If you aren't a CA resident...it's MUCH pricier.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
As someone who started college during Obama's first term (1979), it's not much different. Add to that the fact that my first house had an interest rate of 13%, I'm not sure why you think you have been given less of a chance at the american dream. I went to college, bought a house, and pay my bills.

It's called hard work, smart choices, and living within your means. And, oh yeah, making your own way.

You may subsidize the baby boomer generation, but as someone without children, I subsidized your education. I call that fair.
Not really...I paid 50k for my education, that's with 20k of parental help, and 10k of scholarships, not to mention working. My generation will have a MUCH higher debt burden than your generation, yet recieve less benefits.

It's funny to me that people think for some odd reason that this "okay". Its funnier when people rattle off platitudes and compare two dissimilar situations. The 'ole "I did it in my day"...not realizing things change. Tuition skyrocketed. The job market is one of the TOUGHEST in history.

That's great that you have a nice middle class life. Good job. But to imply that somehow people who complain of RIDICULOUS fee increases are out of line? People just want parity, that's all. You paid cheap tuition, why should we have to pay these outrageous rates?

We should reverse this new norm of sending off those wanting to obtain a good education FAR into debt. This isn't sustainable.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:59 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,246,246 times
Well when you have a state that is in the closest danger to defaulting on its debt in 100 years ;something has to give.The thing is they have not made good chioces if you think this increase is bad.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
That's not including housing, books, campus fees, and food. It comes out closer to 25-30k a year. If you aren't a CA resident...it's MUCH pricier.
What a lot of kids that aren't in California do is live off campus, stay living in their parents' homes and commute, buy used books and work. Minimum wage today is high and in a state like California, $10 an hour would be considered low pay in any job - $10 an hour can earn someone over $20k a year which can easily pay the tuition, books and fees. Live at home and you eliminate the housing costs.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Not really...I paid 50k for my education, that's with 20k of parental help, and 10k of scholarships, not to mention working. My generation will have a MUCH higher debt burden than your generation, yet recieve less benefits.

It's funny to me that people think for some odd reason that this "okay". Its funnier when people rattle off platitudes and compare two dissimilar situations. The 'ole "I did it in my day"...not realizing things change. Tuition skyrocketed. The job market is one of the TOUGHEST in history.

That's great that you have a nice middle class life. Good job. But to imply that somehow people who complain of RIDICULOUS fee increases are out of line? People just want parity, that's all. You paid cheap tuition, why should we have to pay these outrageous rates?

We should reverse this new norm of sending off those wanting to obtain a good education FAR into debt. This isn't sustainable.
Minimum wage has skyrocketed also. Back when tuition was $4000 a year instead of $10000 a year, a college student was working for $2 an hour.

Funny how college students never riot over Britney Spears concert tickets selling for $400 or the costs of spring break vacations and the costs of partying. They'll wait all night in line to be the first to buy a $600 video game player and it's no problem that video game cassettes are up to $60 each.

What is $10k a year for tuition when it guarantees someone high wages when they graduate? The whole purpose in going to a university is to earn more money than everyone else so why not consider it an investment in your future?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
No you did not work 40-50 hrs a week with a full course load. That's simply a lie. When did you have the time to work 40-50 hrs a week and study? Nice fabrication. Luxury vacations to Cancun? I don't know of a single person at UCSB who went to Cancun on a luxury vacation spring break...
I most certainly did. A full course load is 15-18 hours a week. There are 168 hours in a week. Do the math.

Or I'll help you -- 168 - 15 = 153 hours remaining after a 15 hour class time. 150 if taking 18 hours a semester. Working 50 hours leaves still over 100 hours in the week to sleep and study. You only need 35-40 hours a week to sleep so that still leaves 60 hours in the week.

Yes, I worked, I didn't party all night, didn't watch much television or many movies or play many video games. I certainly didn't have time for rioting but I still had time to do things I liked to do.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What a lot of kids that aren't in California do is live off campus, stay living in their parents' homes and commute, buy used books and work. Minimum wage today is high and in a state like California, $10 an hour would be considered low pay in any job - $10 an hour can earn someone over $20k a year which can easily pay the tuition, books and fees. Live at home and you eliminate the housing costs.
Umm...I would have to drive 200 miles to get to class. That's working FULL time and not going to class. For many people, living at home is not an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies