U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:12 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,883 posts, read 1,764,412 times
Reputation: 326

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What about students in the past? Didn't parents always foot the bill for their child's college education 30-40 years ago as most college students then were traditional students that did not work while in college? The whole concept of students working while going to school part-time is more of a recent phenomenon of these past few decades.
Things were alot cheaper then, they could have worked and paid on their own, but for some reason they didn't. Today is a different story. Hell, back then you could have 1 income and own 2 cars, a house, a 4 member family, send the kids to college and still go on vacation. Today it can't be done, kids need to take a bigger role in their future than they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:16 PM
 
63,084 posts, read 28,292,542 times
Reputation: 8003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Here's a radical proposal for many parents who use the public school system: Why don't they take the money that they save on their child's education expenses and apply that towards a college savings account for their child so their child would not be forced to take out costly loans, etc? It may take a little sacrifice but isn't their child's education worth it?
You're joking, right? Kids are in public school for 13 years, K-12, BUT the parents pay school taxes EVERY SINGLE YEAR whether their kids are K-12 school-age or not. The public schools here get 78% of the annual property taxes. There ARE NO 'savings.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:36 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,690,132 times
Reputation: 35847
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well the current "parent" generation are boomers..you know the materialistic ones.

The previous generation before them were savers. The boomers may have had their education paid for by their "saver" parents.

Who really knows..me..my parents were "savers" but I told them to keep their money. I joined the military for 8 years and used the GI bill to go to school when I got out.
I have great respect for those who served in our military so thank you. For many young adults, the military isn't a viable option. You made an excellent point concerning saving which is a concept that our nation's young adults desperately need to learn. Parents can set an great example for their children by foregoing some luxuries and saving up for their child's college education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:39 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,690,132 times
Reputation: 35847
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
Things were alot cheaper then, they could have worked and paid on their own, but for some reason they didn't. Today is a different story. Hell, back then you could have 1 income and own 2 cars, a house, a 4 member family, send the kids to college and still go on vacation. Today it can't be done, kids need to take a bigger role in their future than they do.
I can agree with you on this point. I do think that parents can set a positive example for their child by foregoing some luxuries to save up for their child's education. The childen learn the whole ME ME ME nonsense from their parents. If more kids can observe their parents making sacrifices and saving more, they will more likely to do the same when they have their own families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:43 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,690,132 times
Reputation: 35847
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're joking, right? Kids are in public school for 13 years, K-12, BUT the parents pay school taxes EVERY SINGLE YEAR whether their kids are K-12 school-age or not. The public schools here get 78% of the annual property taxes. There ARE NO 'savings.'
Not everyone pays property taxes. I do understand your point and many parents pay more in property taxes than it would cost them to educate their child in a private school. The point I was trying to make was that most parents can put away some money each month towards their child's future college expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:44 PM
 
Location: 78737
343 posts, read 1,260,816 times
Reputation: 145
I spoke with my sister yesterday who went to UCLA in 1986, her tuition was $705.00 a year back then. Why?

Here is the reality:
"In the 1980s,higher education made up 17 percent of the state budget, and prisons accounted for 3 percent. Today those figures are 9 percent and 10 percent"

Why UC has to raise tuition / UCLA Today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:44 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,883 posts, read 1,764,412 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I can agree with you on this point. I do think that parents can set a positive example for their child by foregoing some luxuries to save up for their child's education. The childen learn the whole ME ME ME nonsense from their parents. If more kids can observe their parents making sacrifices and saving more, they will more likely to do the same when they have their own families.
Very true indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:51 PM
 
Location: California
29,725 posts, read 32,216,945 times
Reputation: 24908
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
These kids do have an alternative..go to community college for 2 years while working P/T and save money. If you're past the first two years, then take a year off to work and save money and then go back.
This is one of my favorite parts about the CA education system. You can get guarenteed entry into schools like UC Berkeley and UC Davis by transfering from a Community College...even if you didn't qualify for either upon graduating from highschool. This "backdoor" entry into elite universities is an amazing opportunity. Yes, you have to maintain certain GPA and take specific lower division classes, but you save so much money in the process! This is the route my son is taking right now and is especially good if you don't have a specific major in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 70,471,555 times
Reputation: 27525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This is one of my favorite parts about the CA education system. You can get guarenteed entry into schools like UC Berkeley and UC Davis by transfering from a Community College...even if you didn't qualify for either upon graduating from highschool. This "backdoor" entry into elite universities is an amazing opportunity. Yes, you have to maintain certain GPA and take specific lower division classes, but you save so much money in the process! This is the route my son is taking right now and is especially good if you don't have a specific major in mind.
And what most people don't understand is that the first 2 years are the same regardless if you spend it at a CC or at the University. Maybe 1-2 classes get missed (if you know your major). It's all general ed stuff.

Cost is so much less. And when you graduate after 4 years..what they look at is the final piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 02:02 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,690,132 times
Reputation: 35847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This is one of my favorite parts about the CA education system. You can get guarenteed entry into schools like UC Berkeley and UC Davis by transfering from a Community College...even if you didn't qualify for either upon graduating from highschool. This "backdoor" entry into elite universities is an amazing opportunity. Yes, you have to maintain certain GPA and take specific lower division classes, but you save so much money in the process! This is the route my son is taking right now and is especially good if you don't have a specific major in mind.
I agree and I'm a strong proponent of the community college system as a "second chance" for those who were ineligible for university admissions as freshmen. They serve an excellent way for students to save money especially when they are undecided. I am concerned with the state's budget affect on the course offerings at the community colleges and how it impacts students who need to take specific coursework to gain admissions to their university of choice. With the CSU and UC campuses getting more selective in their admissions due to fiscal reasons, more and more students are finding themselves trapped at the community colleges with limited transfer options. My heart goes out towards these students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top