U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2009, 01:22 PM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 7,996,982 times
Reputation: 3602

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
One is being tried by the federal government.

One was tried by the State of California.


One was a popular sports and entertainment figure, with a lot of supporters. Who always denied any involvement with the crime.

One is a self-admitted terrorist, who confessed, possibly under duress, to killing thousands of people to further a political agenda.

The only similarity is that, like OJ Simpson, KSM will be tried by a jury, and juries can be unpredictable. And that's true for EVERY jury trial, so the OJ Simpson trial has no real relevance, but was brought up purely for the emotional reaction it engenders.
Have to disagree with your basic premise here. As I stated, the two trials are different but the fact of civilian juries in each makes it revelant, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2009, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth Texas
12,482 posts, read 8,534,108 times
Reputation: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think it's missing your point at all. A trial in absentia handles the matter of a lack of Miranda rights, evidence gathered without a lawyer present and so on.

Certainly the use of coercive interrogation methods will be brought up, and will have to be defended, but the facts of the case are not in question. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed's confession may be tossed because it was obtained under coercion, but other terrorists have named KSM as the mastermind, and unless their statements were the result of coercion, they will be allowed, on top of all the evidence the government has amassed against KSM.

We have tried terrorists before in civilian courts, and have convicted those terrorists. There is NO reason to believe that trying KSM will have different results.

Prosecuting Terrorism in New York :: Middle East Quarterly
We have never tried an enemy combatant that was captured on foreign soil back to America for a civilian court trial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 01:30 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
10,584 posts, read 7,990,922 times
Reputation: 4151
How is KSM going to get a fair trial?

The Constitution has a ban on "cruel or unusual punishment". It seems to imply that the punishment should fit the crime - that me magnitude of the punishment, should be similar to the magnitude of the crime.

Might it be a good idea to apply that principle to the concept of the "fairness" of the trial?

KSM should get a trial that is at least as fair as the one he gave the 3,000 people in the World Trade Center, Pentagon, and in the planes.

That shouldn't be hard. I'd be happy to provide him a "trial" that's that fair, personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 01:52 PM
 
176 posts, read 262,514 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the PROBLEM with having a civilian trail is the rules that go with it

as you said he 'admitted' his guilt....was this before or after the miranda that wasnt given???

evidence is overwhelming???? was there a warrant????

can he get a 'fair' trail with 12 IMPARTIAL jurors???



sorry but e should never be brought onto US soil, and tried in a civilian court....he should have a military tribunal, then a military hanging...period

btw I am a 9/11 survivor and lost friends and family that day
Agreed, he should tried and be executed in Cuba. He doesn't deserve to set foot on our soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 02:02 PM
 
13,180 posts, read 12,719,450 times
Reputation: 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoshin1115 View Post
Agreed, he should tried and be executed in Cuba. He doesn't deserve to set foot on our soil.
I love how wingers by doing away with fair trials and going straight to executions of suspected terrorists this makes them more patriotic and brave.....LOL

We sure do have lots of brave pot bellied key board warriors in this forum.

Last edited by padcrasher; 11-19-2009 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth Texas
12,482 posts, read 8,534,108 times
Reputation: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I love how wingers that that if they are for doing away with fair trials and going straight to executions of suspected terrorists this makes them more patriotic and brave.....LOL

We sure do have lots of brave pot bellied key board warriors in this forum.
How about the president that said we will find him guilty and execute him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 02:08 PM
 
10,543 posts, read 11,706,940 times
Reputation: 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I love how wingers that that if they are for doing away with fair trials and going straight to executions of suspected terrorists this makes them more patriotic and brave.....LOL

We sure do have lots of brave pot bellied key board warriors in this forum.
The administration says that he will be convicted, and have said that he will not be released if on the off chance, he isn't. That doesn't sound any less fair than what's being said. Oh, yeah, he also confessed and wanted to plead guilty.

Can you see through the monitor to know that people are pot bellied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 02:08 PM
 
13,180 posts, read 12,719,450 times
Reputation: 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
How about the president that said we will find him guilty and execute him
You can find literally dozens of posts of mine critizing Obama for having no spine when it comes to sticking up for Constitutional principles.

I only wish we still had real Conservatives left to stand with liberals on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 02:11 PM
 
15,208 posts, read 16,111,854 times
Reputation: 25170
Honest question here--not trying to blame Bush for anything that's happened in the past--

Why hasn't KSM been tried in a military tribunal before now? What are the impediments to doing so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 02:13 PM
 
10,543 posts, read 11,706,940 times
Reputation: 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Honest question here--not trying to blame Bush for anything that's happened in the past--

Why hasn't KSM been tried in a military tribunal before now? What are the impediments to doing so?
He should have been, in my opinion. I don't know what the reasons are though to have an opinion on those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top