U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want the government to spy on you
Yes, I support Big Brother, expand the Patriot Act. 6 17.14%
No, its Unamerican, repeal the Patriot Act. 29 82.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 03:37 PM

33,873 posts, read 14,863,988 times

Advertisements

As usual most americans have no idea what the patriot Act says. Actually it was based on the RICCO Act which has been force for quite some time. They base thier vote on what they have heard on the news, whiich we know always gets it's facts straight.

Most repuplicans I know, being one I know quite a few, do not support a police state but, do support the Patriot act.

Please tell me exactly what you do not like about the act. Supply verbage from the act itself to support your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 04:05 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,481,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
As usual most americans have no idea what the patriot Act says. Actually it was based on the RICCO Act which has been force for quite some time. They base thier vote on what they have heard on the news, whiich we know always gets it's facts straight.

Most repuplicans I know, being one I know quite a few, do not support a police state but, do support the Patriot act.

Please tell me exactly what you do not like about the act. Supply verbage from the act itself to support your decision.

Sec. 206: Allows one wiretap authorization to cover multiple devices, eliminating the need for separate court authorizations for a suspect's cell phone, PC and Blackberry, for example.

Warrantless wiretaps

Sec. 215: Allows easier access to business records in foreign intelligence investigations.

The entire wording allows for the reading of any citizens library records, without warrant.

Sec. 213: Allows "Sneak and peek" search warrants, which let authorities search a home or business without immediately notifying the target of a probe.

Need I address this one? The police can enter a suspects home without notifying the owner.

Section 6001 of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 allows intelligence investigations of lone terrorists not connected to a foreign nation or organization.
While not part of the Patriot Act, this provision also sunsets on Dec. 31 and is under review. Civil liberties groups say the provision could sweep in protesters and those suspected of involvement in domestic terrorism. Language passed by the Senate Intelligence Committee would make this section permanent.

The wording is to loose on the Patriot act. If tightned up, it could be a good thing. Thats not happening though.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:07 PM

34,060 posts, read 32,655,973 times
Obama seeks Patriot Act extensions

Obama seeks Patriot Act extensions - Washington Times

Obama's voting record:

"a 2003 Illinois National Organization for Women questionnaire in which Obama wrote that he would vote to “repeal the Patriot Act” or replace it with a “new, carefully crafted proposal.” When it came time to reauthorize the law in 2005, though, Obama voted in favor of it. He started out opposing it: In Dec. 2005, Obama voted against ending debate--a position equivalent to declaring a lack of support for the measure. Then in February of that year, Obama said on the floor that he would support th Patriot Act’s reauthorization. In March 2006, Obama both voted for cloture and for the Patriot Act reauthorization conference report."

Barack Obama on Homeland Security

Old 11-19-2009, 10:06 PM

6,013 posts, read 6,767,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Obama seeks Patriot Act extensions

Obama seeks Patriot Act extensions - Washington Times

Obama's voting record:

"a 2003 Illinois National Organization for Women questionnaire in which Obama wrote that he would vote to “repeal the Patriot Act” or replace it with a “new, carefully crafted proposal.” When it came time to reauthorize the law in 2005, though, Obama voted in favor of it. He started out opposing it: In Dec. 2005, Obama voted against ending debate--a position equivalent to declaring a lack of support for the measure. Then in February of that year, Obama said on the floor that he would support th Patriot Act’s reauthorization. In March 2006, Obama both voted for cloture and for the Patriot Act reauthorization conference report."

Barack Obama on Homeland Security

so you agree or disagree with that?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:56 AM

913 posts, read 728,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
So much for personal rights and small government; republicans prefer Stalinist spying policies.

Read full story at: Poll: Support Seen for Patriot Act - ABC News

The Patriot act is good

yup it's just republicans! joe, you should seriously grow up. the police state has been put in place by both sides. time for you to wake up and smell the coffee!

Old 12-21-2009, 03:58 PM

25,237 posts, read 13,475,984 times
Those that give up freedom for security gain neither.
Casper

Old 12-21-2009, 04:24 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,226,485 times
Quote:
So much for personal rights and small government; republicans prefer Stalinist spying policies.

The Patriot act is good
I thought you would appreciate Stalinist type spying policies. Obama could put them to good use hunting down conservatives not terrorists like it was intended.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:29 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,371,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I thought you would appreciate Stalinist type spying policies. Obama could put them to good use hunting down conservatives not terrorists like it was intended.
Actually I have more in common with conservatives than I do liberals. So no I a against such policies. If Obama did do that it would be Bush's fault for giving him those powers. Bush created the imperial presidency and many posters here on CD blindly supported it because they liked Bush. Now that someone who they don't like is in office they are scared. The sad thing is you would think they would learn a lesson and want to abolish Bush's fascist policies, but would gladly have them as long as someone they liked was in office. I am against giving any president these kinds of powers.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:41 PM

30,177 posts, read 15,886,960 times
Quote:

The Patriot act is good
So what does this have to do with government spying on Americans? The Patriot Act (most of which, as I understand it, has been enshrined in law long before the "Patriot Act") is what allows the government to do wiretaps on suspected terrorists, or other suspected criminal activity, here in the U.S. They must have that capability.

What do you people want; to so hamstring our law enforcement that we cannot stop an attack before it becomes a reality?

The biggest criticisim following 9-11 was that we didn't do enough to prevent it; that we "failed to connect the dots". We had islamic terrorists takeing flight training her on our soil (but they didn't care t learn to land — obviously, they din't need to, did they?) Hello? Red flag? Someone should have started asking questions and perhaps "wiretapping" someones phones! We might have prevented 9-11!

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-22-2009 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 12-21-2009, 04:47 PM

30,177 posts, read 15,886,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The original patriot act was the constitution, which allowed Americans to spy on their government.
Which if we had been doing, as we should, Obama would never have been elected.

But certain "idiots" only ridiculed those of us who flagged Obama and had serious concerns about his associations and beliefs. The left still defends this scoundrel like he is some kind of saint. They refuse to believe that he is what he himself has said he is (I don't think the left reads much — and they depend on people like Chris Matthews for their news. And Chris got a "tingle up [his] leg" when listening to Obama, so surely he was good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies