Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:46 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post

This shouldn't surprise anyone.

For the past 20 years, the GOP have been the complete toadies of corporate interests. They work tirelessly for big business and against the public. If someone is not aware of this, it's only because they haven't been paying attention for quite awhile.

Nothing to see here, folks. Please move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 08:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post

For the past 20 years, the GOP have been the complete toadies of corporate interests. They work tirelessly for big business and against the public. If someone is not aware of this, it's only because they haven't been paying attention for quite awhile.

Freezing rates was not supposed to happen til Feb 2010.
The bill passed in May giving the banks 6 months to jack up rates/fees.
What good would freezing now do as opposed to February ?

If Congress really was looking out for the taxpayers instead of the banks then that freeze would have been effective when the bill passed last May.

So instead of 12% interest we now have 30% interest on CC's.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:30 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
This goes to show you have absolutely no idea what your talking about as well as you have not followed up on whats been going on recently. This is not happening only to those with crappy credit. This is happening to those customers with excellent credit, never late and never go over there balance. someone like me, which is why it wasn't hard for me to pay off two of my cards and close them

I know exactly what is going on. I know credit and financing very well.

I have NOT been rate jacked at all. But I never keep any balances either.

I read your story about your house, congrats on your first home. That is a great feeling.

Negative credit can remain on your report for only 7 years, not 10 like you posted. If there is any remaining items on your report from 10 years ago it must be removed by law, if it is still there PM me and we will get it removed!

Also, 33% of your credit score is based on open lines of credit and closing cards can harm you over time. Your available credit drops therefore it hurts your score. If your limits were low then the effect is less.

If you have any cards and carry zero balances and zero to very low fees, you need to keep them. Many credit unions offer no fees and low rates right now for their cards.

Congrats on your home, that is a great moment in your life and you have worked hard to obtain.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:33 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:

Stop blaming the GOP and corporations.

NO ONE FORCED YOU TO APPLY FOR THE CREDIT CARD DID THEY?

Answer is no.

You should not have used them, maxed them out and had balances.

If you were in the know, there are many cards and credit unions with cards you could have done a balance transfer to and saved you tons of money and no or low fees.

If you have decent credit and balances do us all a favor, grab a zero interest rate card for 6 months, balance transfer those cards and you wont have to worry about it.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:34 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:

It is precisely why I am no longer 'independent" and will NEVER vote Republican EVER again in my lifetime.. unless they do a complete 360!! I've voted Republican before and my observation of the party is exactly as yours is.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:37 AM

Smile Are you a finacial advisor, by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Stop blaming the GOP and corporations.

NO ONE FORCED YOU TO APPLY FOR THE CREDIT CARD DID THEY?

Answer is no.

You should not have used them, maxed them out and had balances.

If you were in the know, there are many cards and credit unions with cards you could have done a balance transfer to and saved you tons of money and no or low fees.

If you have decent credit and balances do us all a favor, grab a zero interest rate card for 6 months, balance transfer those cards and you wont have to worry about it.

Thank you for that ingenuous analysis.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
It is precisely why I am no longer 'independent" and will NEVER vote Republican EVER again in my lifetime.. unless they do a complete 360!! I've voted Republican before and my observation of the party is exactly as yours is.

Like you, I'm a former Republican, unlikely to ever support that ridiculous caricature of a political party ever again.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Well..you former Republicans should go look up that bill that the Democratic Congress passed back in May. They gave the banks from May 2009 until Feb 2010 time to "adjust" their rates and fees in anticipation of the freeze.

How can anyone blame this on the Republicans when the Dem Congress passed this bill 6 months ago ?

If anything you should be turning your backs on both Dems and Repubs..both are cut from the same cloth.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:50 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well..you former Republicans should go look up that bill that the Democratic Congress passed back in May. They gave the banks from May 2009 until Feb 2010 time to "adjust" their rates and fees in anticipation of the freeze.

How can anyone blame this on the Republicans when the Dem Congress passed this bill 6 months ago ?

If anything you should be turning your backs on both Dems and Repubs..both are cut from the same cloth.
And has been in power since 2006....

Old 11-21-2009, 08:55 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

But the Dems aren't the ones blocking something that could fix a mistake of the original bill and set things right.. the Republicans are!

The Dems are trying to set it right.. perhaps their was oversight when they originally proposed the law, which ultimately we needed anyway.. and they are now trying to set it right.

once again the Repubs are acting like children.. blocking the change to correct it and then saying.. see.. see. see.. you did this.. .. yeah.. they did, but now they are trying to correct it.

Hey.. at least the Dems are trying to do something about it . .. rather than the great big nothing we've gotten from the Republican party the prior 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies