Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:33 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,778,510 times

Advertisements

Definitely worth a reprint, especially in this era of leftist fanatics who think that govt has to take over more and more for us to survive and prosper... and are determined to impose that government on us no matter what the people - or the Constitution - want.

Capitalism is, of course, simply the free exercise of markets without restrictions or interference of government, except for such things as contract enforcement and fraud prosecution.

As Jacoby points out, isn't it amazing - and a blessing - the way the actions of thousands (or millions) of self-interested, individual people, trying to maximize their own profits, combine to produce prosperity and plenty for the entire nation?

---------------------------------

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/jeff/jacoby112703.asp

Giving Thanks for Capitalism

by Jeff Jacoby
First published Nov. 27, 2003

Isn't there something wondrous — something almost inexplicable — in the way your Thanksgiving weekend is made possible by the skill and labor of vast numbers of total strangers?

The level of coordination required to pull it off is mind-boggling. But what is even more mind-boggling is this: No one coordinated it.

No turkey czar sat in a command post somewhere, consulting a master plan.
The social order of freedom, like the wealth and the progress it makes possible, is an extraordinary gift from above. On this Thanksgiving Day and every day, may we be grateful.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
As Jacoby points out, isn't it amazing - and a blessing - the way the actions of thousands (or millions) of self-interested, individual people, trying to maximize their own profits, combine to produce prosperity and plenty for the entire nation?
Yes, and if it worked out that way all the time, wouldn't life be grand?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Yes, and if it worked out that way all the time, wouldn't life be grand?
Even if it worked out that way MOST of the time (which, in fact, it does), life is a lot grander than what's going on now.

Or do you habitually demand 100% perfection, and throw out anything that doesn't meet that standard?

Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times
The Pilgrims were capitalists?

For some of you, I realize your entire being is tied to your bank balance, but I have much more important things to be thankful for than an economic system.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:24 PM

If you look in the dictionary under "completely missed the point", you'll find nvxplorer's picture.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
If you look in the dictionary under "completely missed the point", you'll find nvxplorer's picture.

No, you missed the point. Using Thanksgiving and capitalism in the same sentence is insulting and a bit disturbing. Your OP reminds me of those preachers who claim God wants us to be wealthy. Nice attempt at appeal to emotion - "Aw...look at all those capitalists doing God's work" - but I'm not impressed.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Using Thanksgiving and capitalism in the same sentence is insulting and a bit disturbing.
Only to people who think capitalism is a bad thing.

But who cares what they think?

Besides, they were "disturbed" long before I posted this article.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:35 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
Quote:
Even if it worked out that way MOST of the time (which, in fact, it does), life is a lot grander than what's going on now.
What's going on now is the direct result of way too much faith in laissez-faire free-market capitalism. When will you people learn that it doesn't work? Managed capitalism is all that has ever worked...

Old 11-19-2009, 12:36 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,049,927 times
Let's make everything 100% capitalist....no ifs, ands, or buts.

Hope you can afford to send your kid to school, no more tax financing. Hope you can afford toll roads, no more free roads. Hope you can pay for the police and fire department, they will bill you every time. Hope that your credit card isn't declined when the ambulance picks you up.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Only to people who think capitalism is a bad thing.
Did I say capitalism was a bad thing?

What disturbs me is that Thanksgiving has nothing to do with turkey or airline tickets. It has everything to do with family and friends.

You wanna know what Thanksgiving is about? Here, meet Evelyn Mount: http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/11161461.html
Quote:
But who cares what they think?
Apparently, you.

Quote:
Besides, they were "disturbed" long before I posted this article.

As long as no one disturbs my sleep, I'm fine with them (whoever "they" are).

Last edited by nvxplorer; 11-19-2009 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies