U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:46 PM

29,669 posts, read 32,123,917 times

Advertisements

That's too bad. I've known a couple of people who have gone thru this. It's no fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 09:48 PM

4,059 posts, read 3,788,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Anyone who drives with an alcohol level over the legal limit has a --problem

They don't know when to quit drinking !
The legal limit is arbitrary and being over it is no indication of a "problem". Rather than not knowing when to quit drinking, s/he doesn't know when not to drive.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:57 PM

6,550 posts, read 12,648,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Apples to oranges.

First, have there been any tests to which apply such determination on ones skill of doing the action of putting on mascara while driving to establish if it is a consistent act that proves dangerous or an action to which most or some would be unable to do so dangerously?

Some can eat, text, talk on the cell phone and even read a bit while driving safely. Some can not.

As for drinking, in the tests done as such a 100% of the drivers show a severe lack of ability to respond quickly to scenarios. This has been tested.

So, while you may be somewhat correct that "some" doing such actions may apply such in dangerous manners, it is simply a generality of variable skill while intoxication is consistently proven.
You're off a bit here. For starters, I can pretty well guarantee without any sort of study that a driver's performance and alertness will decrease

A) When eating
B) While texting
C) While Talking on the Cell

Just like drinking, this isn't up for debate. Can some do it better than others? Again, just like drinking, I'm sure some can...

The question isn't if any of these other things impairs driving, but how much worse an individual's driving gets...

Again, yeah, there are people who can text and drive better than someone else might drive with their full attention on the road. Likewise there are those who drive better with a .15 BAC than someone else who may not have had a drop.... It's all relative to the person.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,429,860 times
I hope she learns a lesson. Not everybody that gets drunk needs help or most college student would be commiutted.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:08 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,129,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
You're off a bit here. For starters, I can pretty well guarantee without any sort of study that a driver's performance and alertness will decrease

A) When eating
B) While texting
C) While Talking on the Cell

Just like drinking, this isn't up for debate. Can some do it better than others? Again, just like drinking, I'm sure some can...

The question isn't if any of these other things impairs driving, but how much worse an individual's driving gets...

Again, yeah, there are people who can text and drive better than someone else might drive with their full attention on the road. Likewise there are those who drive better with a .15 BAC than someone else who may not have had a drop.... It's all relative to the person.
The A, B, C are elements of properly dividing attention. Drinking impairs motor reflex. It is not the same. The illusion of people who drink and drive is that they think that because they can reason, think in manner that is not "intoxicated" that their motor reflexes are are also in accordance. This is not the case and proper testing has shown this to be true.

I understand your reasoning, but in the case of a chemical such as alcohol, it is not the same as divided attention. Divided attention can be trained and improved with proper driving techniques. An impaired persons motor reflexes do not improve.

Edit:

BTW, here is testing done by DOT. .15 BAC is most certainly out of the range and I doubt you could support your premise that a person with .15 BAC have better reaction times.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...hnicalsum.html

Last edited by Nomander; 11-19-2009 at 10:16 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 PM

6,013 posts, read 6,754,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee
Already funny how people react...specially after Bush daughter was trashed...now it is nothing...which it actually is, but if it was Palin's daughter or Bush his daughter....OMG, the hypocricy....
so you got your pants in a bunch and felt the need to make this thread which even isnt a comparison senator kerry wasnt president hes a politician but never president if you want to make the case of presidents daughters this scenario is not for you

Old 11-20-2009, 07:23 AM

2,665 posts, read 3,346,052 times
If this were candidate Palin's daughter being arrested for a crime they'd be an outcry over how it reflects on the parents; reporters swamping the story. Candidate Kerry will get a media pass and the blather you can read here.

Just pointing out the liberal hypocrisy for the one lib who may actually be able to recognize it.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:26 AM

12,482 posts, read 8,562,235 times
I do not think that families should be used a an issue. Kerry has all the issues he needs without dragigng family into it.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:27 AM

12,482 posts, read 8,562,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
If this were candidate Palin's daughter being arrested for a crime they'd be an outcry over how it reflects on the parents; reporters swamping the story. Candidate Kerry will get a media pass and the blather you can read here.

Just pointing out the liberal hypocrisy for the one lib who may actually be able to recognize it.
I agree the hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:45 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,237,940 times
As all DUI's should (in my opinion), she should spend time in jail. But, keep it in perspective: Palin has a bastard (illegitimate child) grandson, Limbaugh was convicted of a drug felony, Gingrich is an adulterer, GOP congressman Sweeney got drunk with college students with weed being smoked in the room, Larry Craig having sex in a men's room, Huckabee advisor Dick Morris and his prostitution scandle and on and on it goes. But let's not forget Matthew 5:31-32 "anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery." I know it is a bit of a rambling post, but it is early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies