U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 03:15 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,897,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
hard to avoid natural disasters since the US is prone to everything from earthquakes to floods to tornadoes to hurricanes.
I have insurance to compensate in such a event.
Only true to a point.
You build a house next to a river. What questions what risks should you be worried about? Do you want to risk loosing everything on a fairly regular basis?
You have insurance as do I. But I also thought about a few things and made my risks a minimum. At least as much as humanly possible.
I didn't build next to a river, or below sea level or in tornado alley.
If I built in Tornado alley I would build an Earth shelter. No not full proof but certainly less dangerous than a trailor.
Thats my point. Relying on others to make things all right for you is foolish at best and down right stupid at worst.
The Fed should be condemning these properties that get wrecked year after year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 03:16 PM

20,326 posts, read 37,832,470 times
There is so much blame to go around on the Katrina disaster that I don't know where to start.

Bad levees is the fault of the Army COE.
Governor was a idiot.
Mayor was a moron.
A bunch of the NOPD deserted their posts.
FEMA response was pitiful.
Bush did a flyover, gee Mom, look at all that water....

All I know is that yet again the world shakes its head in disbelief at the folly and decrepitude in our "rich" nation ... Katrina disaster ... the I-35 bridge collapse in Minneapolis ... ludicrous border security ... 45M w/out health insurance ... thousands of soldiers dead/maimed from IED attacks on poorly armored Humvee's ... soldiers buying steel plates from local Iraqi businesses to up-armor their Humvee's ... the list goes on and on ... not to mention that the handling of the aftermath of Katrina is still an on-going mess
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:16 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,053,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
Yeah all those busses and trains that remained parked and got flooded didn't run anyway huh?
This was the fault of the local governments.
Did you ever see the evacuation plan that Nagin had ready to use? It was beautiful but he never tried to use it when he should have before the hurricane hit, only after the flood hit did he try and then his buses were under water.

That plan was a beauty and would have worked if applied before the hurricane not after it.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
From what I understand, money was issued to the state to fix these problems and the city kept using the money for other things and ignored fixing it. How is this the fault of the Engineers?
You have the correct information but the Dems in control of the city and state government just didn't want to waste all that money on flood control.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:18 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,359,543 times
I blame Bush for Katrina.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:20 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,754,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
We already knew this

Old 11-19-2009, 03:22 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,897,953 times
Quote:
Bush caused a Hurricane?
Bush didn't let NO or LA use the money given to them way back when for Levee upgrades?
Or Bush was in charge of letting people know that hey when it floods and you live next to a river that the river won't skip your house?
NO owns the how bad Katrina was for them. They live there they understood the risks and yet ignored the risks. They own it.
I live on a Mountain. We get some rough winters. We have power outages quite often.
I double insulated, I have a top shelf stand by generator and plenty of fuel for it.
That is taking responsibility for where I chose to live.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There is so much blame to go around on the Katrina disaster that I don't know where to start.

Bad levees is the fault of the Army COE.
Governor was a idiot.
Mayor was a moron.
A bunch of the NOPD deserted their posts.
FEMA response was pitiful.
Bush did a flyover, gee Mom, look at all that water....

All I know is that yet again the world shakes its head in disbelief at the folly and decrepitude in our "rich" nation ... Katrina disaster ... the I-35 bridge collapse in Minneapolis ... ludicrous border security ... 45M w/out health insurance ... thousands of soldiers dead/maimed from IED attacks on poorly armored Humvee's ... soldiers buying steel plates from local Iraqi businesses to up-armor their Humvee's ... the list goes on and on ... not to mention that the handling of the aftermath of Katrina is still an on-going mess
I sure won't disagree with all you say but the FEMA thing tends to be political in nature. They had all the food and water they needed on the ground in Baton Rouge before the storm hit and then they couldn't get it into the city because of the flood. They flew in a lot by helicopter, but larger planes would have been nice but then you still had to get the supplies into the city.

All kinds of people were wrong about that one but Nagin was the one who owes those people the most and if he had ordered the evacuation on Saturday when he should have most of them would have refused to leave and had to be forced to leave.

Too much blame and lots of people to stack it on, I agree with you about that.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Have you ever heard of the huge fan that Bush and Cheney had in the Gulf that blew up that storm along with Rita? Then they rented it to China for the huge storm that blew up on them. I don't what happened to that fan after 2005 but it has to be around somewhere.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:33 PM

11,797 posts, read 15,818,315 times
I agree with those here who say there were people during Katrina who could not get out of New Orleans. It took me four years to get out of that sweaty armpit of a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies