Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 05:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Like someone said on another forum:
"I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy."
If some fecal lump is busting into my house the cops can't get there in time to stop them.
I'm already there. So is my gun. I'll stop them.
If I'm even home at the time...I'll stop them. I don't think cops do anyone any good. They're nothing but a bunch of armed thugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 05:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I consider a firearm to be an insurance policy. Like a house fire, being assaulted is an unlikely event, but we still purchase fire insurance. Most of the times I travel without a gun because I think the places I go are quite safe. When I worked a job that took me into the industrial/slum areas of a city I was carrying a gun because I thought the possibilities of being assaulted were high enough warrant being armed.

I keep my guns clean and oiled. When I carry there is a cartridge in the chamber and the hammer is locked back and the thumb safety is engaged. I am practiced enough to reliably put 7 rounds in a 4” circle at 20 ft. I have not forgotten the lessons I learned in 'Nam. Be aware, be alert and be armed.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:05 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I consider a firearm to be an insurance policy. Like a house fire, being assaulted is an unlikely event, but we still purchase fire insurance. Most of the times I travel without a gun because I think the places I go are quite safe. When I worked a job that took me into the industrial/slum areas of a city I was carrying a gun because I thought the possibilities of being assaulted were high enough warrant being armed.

I keep my guns clean and oiled. When I carry there is a cartridge in the chamber and the hammer is locked back and the thumb safety is engaged. I am practiced enough to reliably put 7 rounds in a 4” circle at 20 ft. I have not forgotten the lessons I learned in 'Nam. Be aware, be alert and be armed.
Agree completely, but the obsession with guns seen in some, and the fearmongering seen in the OP, is a bit disturbing.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:13 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The OP said taht we're either carriers or victims.
Where did I ever say that people should be disarmed?
Of course I think there is no reason to carry guns.
It simply escalates encounters and more people are killed by morons with weapons.
Perhaps you should move to a less crime ridden area or consider counseling for your fears.

I choose not to live in fear, but to enjoy my life.
You may be on to something here. Maybe EVERYONE should move to less crime-ridden areas! Of course, I will give you partial credit when this idea eliminates crime.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:15 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The OP said taht we're either carriers or victims.
Where did I ever say that people should be disarmed?
Of course I think there is no reason to carry guns.
It simply escalates encounters and more people are killed by morons with weapons.
Perhaps you should move to a less crime ridden area or consider counseling for your fears.

I choose not to live in fear, but to enjoy my life.
Living in fear? Lol, how cliche'. Bear in mind that there is a rather large difference twixt being afraid and being prepared for the worst. Far more people are 'killed by morons' behind the wheel of a car, or trying to fix their own gas appliances, than are negligently shot, and, if the truth were actually presented, rather than emotionally stunted opinions, many people are saved and protected every day by being armed. Yes, there are 'morons with weapons' out there, however , that is not sufficient reason for me to consider myself in thier company, or to lump everyone who chooses to arm themelves in with them.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:24 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
At least, that's what a lot of anti-gun-rights people will tell you while making the argument that "Nobody needs a gun", or "Nobody need such-and-such kind of gun", etc.
This is probably the most misleading thread title of the month... and there was heavy competition! Congratulations.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:41 AM

873 posts, read 1,803,321 times
Better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:46 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Its kind of like living a life thinking the government will get you a job, find you a place to live, pay for your bills, and protect you. The Government's only function is to allow you to do those things for yourself reasonably and freely. The police are there as a deterrent to crime, not to prevent it from happening. They do that by arresting and prosecuting those who commit crimes so others know they'll most likely be caught and punished and even harmed if they attempt it.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:56 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Actually, I could NOT "easily" do that. The odds are for me witnessing a crime--yet I've never done so, unless I was personally involved. Most of those have been simple assaults. Had an attempted burglary once--which I foiled, by putting the guy in a headlock and walking him out the door. He never came back.

None of the incidents I have ever been involved in involved the presence of a gun. A knife, yes...and I removed the weapon from the person in both cases. So...where are all these guns? Owning a gun will not keep me from being shot--if someone were so inclined. And does nothing more than provide a potential weapon to the attacker. Someone could break in and steal the gun, for instance. And then I've provided a gun to a criminal. How is THAT wise? No, better not to have them at all...until I need it to end my own life because it's become necessary.
You took me totally out of context, which, I suppose is easy enough to do when discussing by writing. No matter. No, having a gun does not ensure victory against any attacker, be they two or four legged, but nether does not being armed ensure anything. I have used firearms in defense before, against both animal and human predators, and am quite glad I was armed at the time these incidents occurred. I'm still alive and in one piece because I was. Anyone attacking my home, or trying to make food of me and mine in any way, has , not just me to contend with either. Should an intruder or attacker, get past me, my wife is a force to be reckoned with as well, and she is actually more likely to shoot to kill, with extreme predjudice, than I am. Nothing is ever certain, and despite all the training and caution one can take on, anything can happen, I just feel that being armed, despite being necessary in my lifestyle, evens the odds a bit.It's worked quite well for me my whole life, I see no reason to change my ways. What is 'wise' is relative. What works for you and I won't wash in another persons stream.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:05 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
If the OP wants to fuss about anything in this case s/he should fuss about the police, or the woman herself, not securing the windows.

What this has to do with gun control and liberals is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies