U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the world overpopulated?
Yes 66 68.04%
No 31 31.96%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:57 AM

2,871 posts, read 3,203,442 times

Advertisements

The Illuminati - lol. Thats hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 05:09 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,379,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
The Illuminati - lol. Thats hilarious!
Bunch of BS, IMO.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:33 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,218,436 times
It's not that the Earth can't support a large (7Billion+) population, it's just that humans aren't populating the planet in an efficient and resourceful way.

Additionally, the third world not only continues to starve, but it continues to grow. I wonder how long that will last.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:41 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,535,459 times
Probably not overpopulated now, but the exponential trajectory headed to 12 billion within a couple decades should concern us all.

People talk about open space as if that's what defines carrying capacity. It has a lot more to do with food, water, health care, shelter, etc... There'll always be room to put another house ... somewhere. That's not the issue.

I'm sure there would be enough in an ideal world, but the greed and selfishness that defines our system leads me to believe we can't handle it.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:38 PM

8 posts, read 16,513 times
The planet is overpopulated because we lack enough water to live in the arid regions. If we could build cisterns and aqueducts like the ancient Persians and Romans did we could end flash flooding and divert the excess water to the deserts. 71% of the earth is covered by ocean and we could build floating islands from our trash (plastic barrels, bottles and styrofoam) that could collect rain, grow food, generate energy and house refugees where they could own 'land'. We could build an orbiting solar furnace that could convert seawater to hydrogen that could be used as fuel and a source of water. These are the things that I would do, I have no idea what my fellow humans will do.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,346,780 times
This thread is another of many on here that highlights the utter ignorance and inability to accept scientifically based info about our planet. Trying to argue is like.....Head meet wall head meet wall head meet wall.. Not getting anywhere

Old 11-21-2009, 11:14 PM

10,655 posts, read 11,348,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
This thread is another of many on here that highlights the utter ignorance and inability to accept scientifically based info about our planet. Trying to argue is like.....Head meet wall head meet wall head meet wall.. Not getting anywhere

And your point being what???? SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSlB1nW4S54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVpN312hYgU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MjoP...eature=related

Old 11-24-2009, 12:04 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,796,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
To be honest, of all those prophetic apocolypse flicks from the early 1970s, "Soylent Green" always appeared to be the closest to any observable truth if things were allowed to continue. If I remember correctly, it was a time of intense Global Climate Warming, Politicians and Big Business leaders had special privilages and did not adhere to any of the rules they forced and imposed on the average ******* living in the streets.

Wait a minute That sounds almost like now

Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Probably not overpopulated now, but the exponential trajectory headed to 12 billion within a couple decades should concern us all.

People talk about open space as if that's what defines carrying capacity. It has a lot more to do with food, water, health care, shelter, etc... There'll always be room to put another house ... somewhere. That's not the issue.

I'm sure there would be enough in an ideal world, but the greed and selfishness that defines our system leads me to believe we can't handle it.
Here you go:

Environmental Sustainability - Mankind Using Earth's Resources at an Alarming Rate (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091124/sc_afp/environmentsustainabilityus - broken link)

Old 11-24-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Well, who else is creating pollution, garbage, and toxic chemicals? Forget global warming for now. How about the giant plastic soup in the Pacific Ocean?

I personally have never seen an animal manufacture garbage and toxins.
You mean like all those Oceanic Garbage Gyres brought to us by the wonderous inventions from the scientists employed by Big business ???

Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch

Surely Professor Richard Lenski with all his genius and his research brilliant team of Poindexter clones will be able to create a FrankenOrganism from his infamous E.coli experiments and implant them inside the digestive tracts of aquatic creatures so that they'll be able to digest this new food supply brought to them by humans ???

current work

I mean there is no reason for those pathetic animals not being able to gobble up our filth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies