U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the world overpopulated?
Yes 66 68.04%
No 31 31.96%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,070,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
Advances really don't have a lot to do with large populations. If it did, China with over 1 billion would be leading the world in all phases of technological and medical research, but they seem to have a difficult time just finding enough food for everybody, finding enough leaded paint for kids toys, and enforcing strict reproductive policies. Western Europe, America, and Japan lead the world in these advances, and all these areas have fairly stable populations with population growth nearly neutral not including immigration.
China is behind on population control? I guess I missed that part. They allow only one child per family and have been known to abort girls with regularity. They even use sterilization on their women if they get pregnant the second time. I think they have taken care of things quite well. Oh well they had over a billion people before they got serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,349,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Moderator cut: trolling
The world is not overpopulated, cities are overpopulated.

people are currently starving

species are disappearing by the day

we have past peak oil

we do not have resources to sustain the worlds population

the planet is warming, water levels rising, coastal cities will disappear

we continue to drive suv's, cool our houses to 66 degrees in the summer, heat our pools, cuts down trees.

Nah we will be fine keep having 6 kids.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Don't know anything about him... I don't have time to listen to talk radio where they make up acronyms for all the politicians.
Oh mercy no, I started using that name for old Turban way back there when he went down to Gitmo with all those other Congress critters and realized he had been wrong about how terrible it was. I don't remember hearing one of those talk radio hosts calling him that but then, I don't make listening to them a practice, either.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:38 PM

714 posts, read 1,914,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
China is behind on population control? I guess I missed that part. They allow only one child per family and have been known to abort girls with regularity. They even use sterilization on their women if they get pregnant the second time. I think they have taken care of things quite well. Oh well they had over a billion people before they got serious.
I never said they were behind on it, in fact, it'll probably be the reality of what other places will have to do to prevent the starvation of a large part of the population. I was referring to the fact that it's the large population that prevents them from making scientific advances.

However, it's also true that their policies and enforcements differs in different parts of the country, urban vs. rural areas and so forth.

Overpopulation won't be that big of a deal in America except in the context of illegal immigration because of people risking anything and everything to come here. It's less than 5% of the world population and not expected to get much past 400 million, if that much, by 2050. It's also the bread-basket of the world. But it'll be a far larger problem in Africa, parts of Asia, India, Pakistan, etc. So the good news is American families should be able to reproduce as much as they want for many more years and watch the rest of the world fight it out!!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
people are currently starving

species are disappearing by the day

we have past peak oil

we do not have resources to sustain the worlds population

the planet is warming, water levels rising, coastal cities will disappear

we continue to drive suv's, cool our houses to 66 degrees in the summer, heat our pools, cuts down trees.

Nah we will be fine keep having 6 kids.
What is the average number of producing families? I think 6 is a bit high for the US.

Who says the planet is warming? Even Algore gave up on that when they changed to climate change in case it really is cooling.

People have been starving since we had 4 billion on Earth and not many more make it every year today. If you look you may find that the reason people are starving is largely a distribution problem. Like we send food to some nations, their leaders ship it right out and sell it to someone else and let their people starve.

Why haven't all our sea level cities been inundated since sea levels are rising so drastically.

All hail global warming and remember that the UN is bent on taking over the US, one way or another, and global warming seemed so good years ago. It seemed like such a good way back then and then nothing happened so they had to shift over to climate change.

BTW, what do you know about the UN's Agenda 21? Look it up on google.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:00 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,349,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What is the average number of producing families? I think 6 is a bit high for the US.

Who says the planet is warming? Even Algore gave up on that when they changed to climate change in case it really is cooling.

People have been starving since we had 4 billion on Earth and not many more make it every year today. If you look you may find that the reason people are starving is largely a distribution problem. Like we send food to some nations, their leaders ship it right out and sell it to someone else and let their people starve.

Why haven't all our sea level cities been inundated since sea levels are rising so drastically.

All hail global warming and remember that the UN is bent on taking over the US, one way or another, and global warming seemed so good years ago. It seemed like such a good way back then and then nothing happened so they had to shift over to climate change.

BTW, what do you know about the UN's Agenda 21? Look it up on google.

BTW do you know about all the scientist who say global warming is happening. The species going extinct? The island in the south pacific that will be the first to have environmental refugees because there island will b covered in water? The melting polar ice caps.

Lets make it real simple. Take a look at pictures of glacier national park even 10 years ago and then today and tell me it's all ok.

Not believing global warming is just an excuse to continue to act like self-centered beings who think the world revolves around them.

News flash human race. The planet can and will get rid of us if we continue to destroy it.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:36 AM

10,236 posts, read 13,546,336 times
Yes, I think the world in general has over-populated. However, in America I think a large chunk of the blame is on too much immigration (illegals).

Old 11-20-2009, 12:46 AM

109 posts, read 149,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yes it is over populated by 4 people, who shall we throw off the planet.
HAHAHA! Please let Anderson Cooper be one of 'em.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:48 AM

2,739 posts, read 7,652,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
As of 19 November 2009, the human population of the world stood at 6.798 billion. Many estimate that the human population will reach 9 billion in 2050, and will continue to grow until at least 2050 as well. But many economist conclude that the risk of famine is slowly increasing. Do you think the world is overpopulated?

Yep...it's way over-populated, especially China, India, Japan, and a handful of European countries. Check out this population density map:
File:Countries by population density.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bud

Old 11-20-2009, 12:59 AM

109 posts, read 149,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
BTW do you know about all the scientist who say global warming is happening. The species going extinct? The island in the south pacific that will be the first to have environmental refugees because there island will b covered in water? The melting polar ice caps.

Lets make it real simple. Take a look at pictures of glacier national park even 10 years ago and then today and tell me it's all ok.

Not believing global warming is just an excuse to continue to act like self-centered beings who think the world revolves around them.

News flash human race. The planet can and will get rid of us if we continue to destroy it.
Wow! Refreshing to hear some common sense thinking. Funny how we'll be arguing about climate change for the next 20 years, deciding whether it's a natural occurrence of the result of mankind. The reality is we have the technology to live in cleaner urban surroundings, to produce food more efficiently without petrochemicals, and live in harmony with the planet. Why is it man will always argue before acting. Think of the U.S. with twice as many people in it. I mean seriously, common sense tells us don't s**t where you eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies