U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a tax on cosmetic procedures to fund health care reform?
Yes 9 39.13%
No 13 56.52%
Not sure 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:34 PM

5,217 posts, read 4,140,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Unlike some republicans, I really am in favor of everyone having health care and I know it has to be paid for one way or the other, but...that said, something about this just strikes me as fundamentally wrong. I can't put my finger on what bothers me exactly, but I don't like it. It doesn't seem right to me to penalize people by a tax just because they want to have some type of elective surgery. Maybe I'm more of a republican economically than I've realized in the past. I dunno.

And no, I have not personally had cosmetic surgery and I doubt I ever will (don't do pain well)...though I wouldn't absolutely rule it out.

What do you think?

elective surgery is just that.. and that IS a luxury type item..unlike other medical care. Luxury items are taxed and so too should surgeries that are elective or Luxuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 06:38 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,975,794 times
Do they tax your casket, too ?

Old 11-20-2009, 06:38 PM

14,810 posts, read 13,640,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
"Tampons are medical devices" and you might be taxed on them as well.

(in the Senate version) ... $40 billion fee that Mr. Baucus wants to impose on medical devices. Device manufacturers would pay $4 billion a year in excise taxes

The Innovation Tax - WSJ.com
At my age, that's one tax I will escape.

But I still have my own teeth and I DO brush them.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:39 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,423,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
elective surgery is just that.. and that IS a luxury type item..unlike other medical care. Luxury items are taxed and so too should surgeries that are elective or Luxuries.
Why now ? For all these years they were not covered under insurance.
No one complained..if they wanted them they paid out of their pocket.

Leave them alone..why go after them now when you've ignored them for years.

The smell of $$$$ I guess.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:58 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,989,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Sorry, didn't see this posted. I voted in your poll, by the way since you pointed it out.

Yeah, it's a luxury, in a sense, but if someone is coughing up the money to pay for it themselves, that seems like enough to me. It's just seems fundamentally wrong to me. Again, I'm surprising myself by like I said in the OP, finding a bit more "republican sentiment" in myself than I thought I had.

I just think it's wrong to single people out that way if they want to have a cosmetic medical procedure that badly enough to pay for it out of their own pockets.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:01 PM

15,667 posts, read 29,456,811 times
Quote:
Unlike some republicans, I really am in favor of everyone having health care and I know it has to be paid for one way or the other, but...that said, something about this just strikes me as fundamentally wrong. I can't put my finger on what bothers me exactly, but I don't like it. It doesn't seem right to me to penalize people by a tax just because they want to have some type of elective surgery. Maybe I'm more of a republican economically than I've realized in the past. I dunno.

And no, I have not personally had cosmetic surgery and I doubt I ever will (don't do pain well)...though I wouldn't absolutely rule it out.

What do you think?
As far as I am concerned having a baby is highly elective. I am all for slapping a nice fat (no pun intended) tax on that type of procedure.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-20-2009, 07:20 PM

14,810 posts, read 13,640,767 times
Hmmmmm.......this health care funding plan reminds me of a very, very old funny that I've seen several times over the years. It was all about taxation and how the government has taxed everything except a man's.......ummm.....member. It then went on to outline the government's tax plan depending on the.....uh......length.

If you Google it with a few key words you might even find it posted somewhere.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:27 PM

30,153 posts, read 15,863,586 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Welcome to Obamacare. They are going to tax anything and everything. This is why you are going to wind up paying far more under this "plan" (scam).

Old 11-20-2009, 07:27 PM

26,512 posts, read 24,382,533 times
Quote:
Again, I'm surprising myself by like I said in the OP, finding a bit more "republican sentiment" in myself than I thought I had.
I don't think it's necessarily "Republican sentiment". I think it just makes sense to not tax something simply because it's an easy target. Like I said in the other thread, it's similar to having a special tax on expensive food in order to fund government food stamps.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 11-20-2009 at 08:19 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 07:35 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,989,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't think it's necessarily "Republican sentiment". I think it just makes sense to not tax something just because it's an easy target. Like I said in the other thread, it's similar to having a special tax on expensive food in order to fund government food stamps.
Yeah, I dunno. Even though, as I said, it's unlikely to ever affect me personally, it just bothers me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies