U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 01:55 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,111,830 times

Advertisements

Oki was so small and so expensive to leave the island that I went diving quite frequently.
We did 2 dives on Sat & Sun mornings (out of the water by 10) & usually one night dive each week.
Running on Saturday & sometimes Sunday and Thursday evenings.

The Keramas were great fun for both snorkeling and diving.
I miss the diving and warm weather, and the Okinawans are wonderful people.

I do like the traveling from here.
I'm off to the Czech Republic tomorrow for a day trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 02:10 PM

10,979 posts, read 7,756,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What does this have to do with the topic of this thread?
Ohhhh, nothing.

I live in a village in the foothills of the Himalayas for between 2-4 weeks most years.
I live with the locals and have a marvelous time; there is now electricity and pit toilets but that's about it.
I'm never so happy as when I'm there.

Funny, I live in Europe and am never wanting for something to do or see.
Maybe it's the people, not the countries or culture.
Funny, I live in America and I experience no violence, hatefulness or fearfulness.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:28 PM

10,870 posts, read 12,916,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Interesting re Mexico. Why do so many want to move to the U.S.?

I've never understood that.
I hope I didn't miss someone else replying to this.

Being a frequent Mexico visitor that has Mexican friends living in Puerto Vallarta I feel I am a little qualified to answer this. My friend worked his way up as a bartender to the owner of the smallest bar I've ever seen, to now a much nicer bar in the Marina Vallarta area.

I tell my friends all the time I am trying to figure out a way to move to Vallarta. My friends asked me this same question the first time I mentioned it.

Mexico is a very large country. It is one enormous city (Mexico City) with many other large tourist towns. Mexicans that live in these areas, generally speaking, are not fleeing to the us. It is the Mexicans that live in tiny rural towns, of which there are 1,000's, or Mexicans living in crime ridden border towns.
They get word from a family member working a restaurant in Cleveland "I made $500 in a week!". That's what a waiter in Vallarta makes in a month working 60 hours/week.
Many folks in the smaller towns can't even get work. So instead of moving to Vallarta to make $500/month.... they come here where the "big" money is.
Not to even mention how many come here for that "large" payday and send money home every month. Simple economics... they can make A LOT more here.
Met another Mexicano on a cruise ship. He just started so he was at the bottom of the list in hours which means 6 months straight on the boat, then 6 off. (As you move up in position it's 5 on, 5 off and so on. Most Captains work 1 month on and 1 off). This guy left his 2 daughters and wife in a tiny little Mexican town to make more money in 6 months then he could possibly make in a year in Tinytown, Mexico.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:39 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Quote:
That's so funny.
There were a group of us at lunch today and the restaurant served ice in the drinks (they cater to US clientelle). All of the Germans were removing the ice.

I prefer my water tepid, but absolutely relate.
LOL In Thailand you can't order a beer that doesn't come with ice cubes in it. In fact it was at a hard rock cafe that I nearly got into a fight with some Australians. They kept calling the Thai people little brown monkeys.
Why because they were annoyed about ice in their beer.
I got annoyed because:
1. Its their country and we are the visitors
2. My wife is Thai and she was sitting next to me.
3. A band was playing some classics and they were ruining the good time.
oddly enough a Russian guy was sitting next to our table and he joined sides with me. Irony of ironies he was a former Soviet sailor. We had been having a great chat and the Australians ticked us both off.
All they had to do was ask for no ice. I guess it was easier to just be rude.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:41 PM

805 posts, read 1,291,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I tell my friends all the time I am trying to figure out a way to move to Vallarta. My friends asked me this same question the first time I mentioned it.

Thanks for the info about Mexico. Very interesting.

What is it you like about Vallarta?

Old 11-20-2009, 03:56 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,111,830 times
tinman, Since I don't drink, I don't see your part of the culture.
I get to see parents take their kids into bookstores and temples and allow the kids to climb on monuments and gates with "Do Not Climb" signs in front of them.

I prefer the non-touristed areas where I can have some fun.

I think I'll be diving in the Gulf of Siam in February. I want to get up to Chiang Mai as well.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 PM
LML

7,109 posts, read 7,931,713 times
Quote:
Oki was so small and so expensive to leave the island that I went diving quite frequently.
We did 2 dives on Sat & Sun mornings (out of the water by 10) & usually one night dive each week.
Running on Saturday & sometimes Sunday and Thursday evenings.

The Keramas were great fun for both snorkeling and diving.
I miss the diving and warm weather, and the Okinawans are wonderful people.

I do like the traveling from here.
I'm off to the Czech Republic tomorrow for a day trip.
My late husband was stationed on Oki just before he was sent to Viet Nam and he loved it there. I've always been glad that he had that time of enjoyment. My daughter loved her day trips when stationed in Germany and I loved them too when I was there visiting. It was great to be able to go to so many different countries on weekend jaunts. Sigh. I kind of miss her living there so that I had a good excuse to visit. One of my favorite things to do was cruising down the Rhine and seeing all the castles and gardens.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:40 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,362,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I hope I didn't miss someone else replying to this.

Being a frequent Mexico visitor that has Mexican friends living in Puerto Vallarta I feel I am a little qualified to answer this. My friend worked his way up as a bartender to the owner of the smallest bar I've ever seen, to now a much nicer bar in the Marina Vallarta area.

Mexico is a very large country. It is one enormous city (Mexico City) with many other large tourist towns. Mexicans that live in these areas, generally speaking, are not fleeing to the us. It is the Mexicans that live in tiny rural towns, of which there are 1,000's, or Mexicans living in crime ridden border towns.
They get word from a family member working a restaurant in Cleveland "I made $500 in a week!". That's what a waiter in Vallarta makes in a month working 60 hours/week.
Many folks in the smaller towns can't even get work. So instead of moving to Vallarta to make $500/month.... they come here where the "big" money is.
Not to even mention how many come here for that "large" payday and send money home every month. Simple economics... they can make A LOT more here.
Met another Mexicano on a cruise ship. He just started so he was at the bottom of the list in hours which means 6 months straight on the boat, then 6 off. (As you move up in position it's 5 on, 5 off and so on. Most Captains work 1 month on and 1 off). This guy left his 2 daughters and wife in a tiny little Mexican town to make more money in 6 months then he could possibly make in a year in Tinytown, Mexico.
Many posters here, mainly the Bush supporters, are under the impression that illegals don't work and just collect welfare.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:46 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,736,099 times
I have lived in the United Kingdom (and while there did some traveling around Europe), as well as the US and spend a substantial amounts of time Latin America. I have also visited Indonesia and to be honest I like the U.S. best and appreciated it more so after living abroad. The U.K. and other parts of Europe were the places I have been that I liked the least. This is mainly because of cost. If you have money Europe is probably wonderful, but if not you are going to get murdered on exchange rates and killed again on taxes.

I like the U.S. best probably because its home, but I would not mind living in the DR or certain parts of Indonesia, but the parts of Europe I visited are just to expensive to justify and positives of moving there.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:50 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,736,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Many posters here, mainly the Bush supporters, are under the impression that illegals don't work and just collect welfare.
Which explains clearly why 41% of illegals get public assistance accounting for 58% of all welfare payments.

National Writers Syndicate - FBI statistical report on Illegals

Btw I voted for Kerry and Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies