U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 02:32 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,067,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Close, but never close enough to get dirty or know about any corruption.
It is obvious that in 2007 Obama needed their support to get elected and he is now trying to pay them back for all the money and "support" in the election. I just wonder how long we can afford to supply the money for his paybacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 03:46 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,723,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
You know this was going on when hussein obama was involved with ACORN.
Gee lookey here. Dc calls him by his middle name again. Wonder why that is?

Old 11-20-2009, 04:05 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,904,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I wonder if Larry Flynt will confirm all those meetings. Again, we have O'Keefe, a guy who was thrown out of Republican Dirty Tricks School and seems to have developed quite a complex over his own significance, nosing around among people from a downscale culture until he can get somebody somewhere to say something that will seem offensive to uptown white sensibilities. Maybe next he could go out into the back country of South Carolina and see if he can't eventually get some good ole boy to say something vaguely racist.
So sag what are you trying to say?
That guys on the right do bad things too so this should be over looked?
or
Its not a big deal because teen prostitution is just something that happens?
or
Are you saying these ACORN issues are just a few random anomalies that don't represent a bigger problem?
What ever I disagree. We have 1 of the 2 primary parties using ACORN to cheat the system and paid for with tax dollars.
I know I know you work in DC and are neutral. Its just hard to believe that anyone who is neutral or cares about the integrety of our elected reps could not care about ACORN and all the issues that surround them.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:59 PM

20,187 posts, read 12,848,684 times
If Obama can sit in Rev. Wright's church for 25 years and never hear a racist word uttered from him he surely can head up ACORN and never know they are crooked and would help sell underage girls for sex. Roll eyes.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:11 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,120,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Why don't you read the link by Glenn Greenwald and finally find out how bad you are being PLAYED by right wing propaganda?

I encourage everyone who bashes ACORN just to reflect on your sense of proportion?

Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

They are pulling your strings!
Maybe you could save time and effort and just give us the money quote.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:26 PM

10,655 posts, read 11,359,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
If Obama can sit in Rev. Wright's church for 25 years and never hear a racist word uttered from him he surely can head up ACORN and never know they are crooked and would help sell underage girls for sex. Roll eyes.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 PM

10,833 posts, read 11,582,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Why don't you read the link by Glenn Greenwald and finally find out how bad you are being PLAYED by right wing propaganda?

I encourage everyone who bashes ACORN just to reflect on your sense of proportion?

Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

They are pulling your strings!

Quote:
But even if you take these film-makers at face value and assume the worst, the reality is that ACORN has thousands of employees and the vast majority of them spend their days trying to help poor people through perfectly legal means (and receive very little compensation for doing so). Even before yesterday's Senate vote, the amount of federal money that went to ACORN was very small. This is a relatively insignificant organization in the grand scheme of things, but it's an organization that has unquestionably fought over the years to improve the lives of the less fortunate in this country.
Seriously? Where's that violin?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:01 AM

19,183 posts, read 27,766,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So sag what are you trying to say?
That guys on the right do bad things too so this should be over looked?
or
Its not a big deal because teen prostitution is just something that happens?
or
Are you saying these ACORN issues are just a few random anomalies that don't represent a bigger problem?
I'm saying that O'Keefe is not just a liar, but a deliberate liar, who sets out to find evidence however he can to support his preconceived notions. He was thrown off the staff of his college newspaper, a former college friend has indicated that she put him off after he enlisted her help in doctoring secretly recorded audio tapes of phone conversations with receptionists at Planned Parenthood in order to make them sound more juicy, and he was later asked to leave Republican dirty tricks school (The Leadership Institute) for activities endangering their tax status. O'Keefe has been nothing in his life but a rogue and outlaw in service to nothing more than his own vision of extreme right-wing causes.

Quote:
What ever I disagree. We have 1 of the 2 primary parties using ACORN to cheat the system and paid for with tax dollars.
ACORN receives tax dollars for work performed when it is the successful bidder on contracts opened for bids by federal agencies such as HUD.

How exactly is the system cheated in your view when eligible voters are registered to vote, and then encouraged to do so?

Quote:
I know I know you work in DC and are neutral. Its just hard to believe that anyone who is neutral or cares about the integrety of our elected reps could not care about ACORN and all the issues that surround them.
The only actual issue that surrounds them is the fact that in the 2008 election cycle they were successful in registering more than 900,000 eligible minority and other low- and moderate-income voters primarily from urban communities. This makes them a target of right-wing demagogues who are only too aware of the fact that if eligible minority and LMI voters had actually voted in the 2006 elections at the same rate that eligible more upscale white voters did, an additional 7.5 million ballots would have been cast. This is not a demographic that favors Republicans. It is in the very strongly vested interest of Republcians to keep those eligible voters from ever actually voting, and one way to do that is to undercut ACORN.

What sort of actual evidence against ACORN has been presented? Phony voter registration cards? These are produced by EVERY voter registration drive. None of these bogus cards led anywhere to even a single incident of an ineligible voter actually being able to vote. By contrast, hundreds of thousands of actually eligible voters were able to vote. Money-laundering charges? Even the right-wing doesn't take those seriously. Promoting child prostitution? Sure...in the same sense that Macy's promotes shoplifting in that some of it's sales associates have been caught doing that very thing by authorities far more reliable than James O'Keefe.

People need to consider the idea that this entire anti-ACORN campaign is a phantasm fabricated for entirely partisan purposes by a desperate Republican Party that is scared out of its mind over what ongoing demographic changes in this country mean for its future.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:33 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,904,581 times
Nice attempt sag.
Voter regestration is important. But most important is that it is not corrupted. Yes every election we do see voter fraud. 2008 we saw quite a bit of fraud committed by ACORN employees. Perhaps no illegal votes were cast by anyone regestered by ACORN. That is a concern but not my greatest. My greatest concern is with all the scandals that surround ACORN. Its not 1 isolated event. They just keep coming and coming. Say what you will but if ACORN were as closely associated with the rep's as they are the Dems's you would be screaming. Guess what so would I.
Perhaps ACORN does some good work. I think its been demonstrated that they have been caught doing some really bad work also.
How is the system cheated.
Well they were hired to regester eligible voters. They also regestered the Disney characters, the Dallas cowboys and a host of others. In other words they regestered a whole lot of nothing as well. Not just 1 office or 1 employee.
In the privact sector quality control that poor would more than likely cost them their contracts.
That is my point.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:09 AM

19,183 posts, read 27,766,906 times
Quote:
Nice attempt sag.
Unlike James O'Keefe, I'm not trying to tell you what to think. I'm asking why you think what you do when the evidence for it is so scanty and the reasons for suspecting ulterior motives on the part of ACORN's attackers are so plentiful.

Quote:
Voter regestration is important. But most important is that it is not corrupted. Yes every election we do see voter fraud.
No. Voter fraud is when an ineligible voter votes or in some cases makes a deliberate effort to vote. You saw ZERO cases of voter fraud in 2008 that were associated with ACORN.

Voter registration fraud is when an individual canvasser in a voter registration drive deliberately prepares and submits falsified voter registration cards. ACORN runs one of the most sophisticated voter registration fraud detecting operations in the country. It regularly identifies offenders to authorities and provides them with evidence for use in prosecution.

Quote:
2008 we saw quite a bit of fraud committed by ACORN employees. Perhaps no illegal votes were cast by anyone regestered by ACORN. That is a concern but not my greatest. My greatest concern is with all the scandals that surround ACORN. Its not 1 isolated event. They just keep coming and coming.
Why doesn't the actual evidence keep coming and coming? There is nothing even remotely suspect about the actual operations of ACORN's voter registration drives. You can point to all the Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck cards you want, and I will keep pointing to Macy's associates arrested for shoplifting. These are the actions of nefarious individuals, not of either Macy's or ACORN.

O'keefe and Giles were thrown out of the Philadelphia ACORN office when they tried their stunt there. Does Breitbart have the tape of that? The Washington Post indicated that it does have a copy of the police report for that incident and that James O'Keefe is individually named in it.

Quote:
Say what you will but if ACORN were as closely associated with the rep's as they are the Dems's you would be screaming.
LOL. There are all sort of organizations out there trying to register and otherwise work for the rights of upscale white people who might be likely to vote Republican. Nary a peep out of me.

Quote:
Perhaps ACORN does some good work. I think its been demonstrated that they have been caught doing some really bad work also.
ACORN has for decades worked to promote the housing, financial, workplace, voting, and other rights of those Americans who often have the most trouble in getting and using those. That's why they have earned the support of such financial backers as the Ford Foundation, the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the charitable arms of such corporations as JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Citigroup, UPS, and Hyatt.

Quote:
How is the system cheated. Well they were hired to regester eligible voters. They also regestered the Disney characters, the Dallas cowboys and a host of others. In other words they regestered a whole lot of nothing as well. Not just 1 office or 1 employee. In the privact sector quality control that poor would more than likely cost them their contracts.
That is my point.
My point is that, like shoplifting, turning in bogus voter registration cards is a crime committed by an individual employee against his or her employer. ACORN is the victim here. ACORN does not benefit in any way from bogus cards. There is zero chance that anyone named Mickey Mouse is going to be registered by any local registrar, and even less chance that someone claiming to be Mickey Mouse will actually show up on election day and try to vote. Bogus cards are a waste of everyone's time, starting with ACORN's. But by law in most places, any voter registration drive operator is required to turn in ALL cards that it receives, no matter how dumb they might appear to be. It is for the registrar's office to determine which cards are valid and which are not. That is not the job of those sponsoring the registration drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies