U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 01:31 AM

9,742 posts, read 9,086,172 times

Advertisements

Why did Reid release the text if it's a secret? Roy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 05:14 AM

13,155 posts, read 16,930,927 times
We are going to spend $849 billion to cover 47 million uninsured. Think about that. Doesn't that sound excessive? Especially since they readily admit that it will still leave 30 million uninsured.
Do these numbers make sense to you?

And Congress thinks they are qualified to write, judge, and pass their own healthcare bill? Do they even know what they are doing? Do they care, except for the victory and power they can already taste, the people be damned?

Old 11-20-2009, 06:37 AM

33,984 posts, read 32,503,039 times
Why does only one company - Blue Cross/Blue Shield - have a related tax hike?

If you are in a government run healtchcare plan and you have to pay a monthly abortion premium, does that make you an accomplice to murder?

Republican Leader John Boehner | Sen. Reid’s Government-Run Health Plan Requires a Monthly Abortion Fee

Old 11-20-2009, 06:48 AM

22,243 posts, read 14,794,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
We are going to spend $849 billion to cover 47 million uninsured. Think about that. Doesn't that sound excessive? Especially since they readily admit that it will still leave 30 million uninsured.
Do these numbers make sense to you?

And Congress thinks they are qualified to write, judge, and pass their own healthcare bill? Do they even know what they are doing? Do they care, except for the victory and power they can already taste, the people be damned?
You do know the significance of the impact that spiraling health care costs have on our economy, right? The fact that small business cannot afford to be in business, in large part due to those spiraling costs, that means that the backbone source of jobs in America is drying up. Along with that, our economy is drying up. If you are outraged, and you should be, direct your outrage to the GOP. They, pretty much in unison, have and continue to do whatever they can to prevent any reform. Direct your rage where it belongs, at a time when we desperately need to get some control on the health care costs, the GOP opts not to participate and consequently, not provide spending constraints and Conservative ideas in formulating a more balanced bill. That's who you should be mad as hell with. The GOP's reasons for doing it, are stictly political. I am not saying that if the situation were reversed, the Dems would not be acting the same way. In fact, they most probably would, as they are just as politically motivated. I am saying, that if there ever was a time when politics as usual needs to be suspended, this is it!

Old 11-20-2009, 06:58 AM

9,742 posts, read 9,086,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you are in a government run healtchcare plan and you have to pay a monthly abortion premium, does that make you an accomplice to murder?
Nice appeal to emotion.

No, murder is illegal. Abortion is not.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:14 AM

13,155 posts, read 16,930,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You do know the significance of the impact that spiraling health care costs have on our economy, right? The fact that small business cannot afford to be in business, in large part due to those spiraling costs, that means that the backbone source of jobs in America is drying up. Along with that, our economy is drying up. If you are outraged, and you should be, direct your outrage to the GOP. They, pretty much in unison, have and continue to do whatever they can to prevent any reform. Direct your rage where it belongs, at a time when we desperately need to get some control on the health care costs, the GOP opts not to participate and consequently, not provide spending constraints and Conservative ideas in formulating a more balanced bill. That's who you should be mad as hell with. The GOP's reasons for doing it, are stictly political. I am not saying that if the situation were reversed, the Dems would not be acting the same way. In fact, they most probably would, as they are just as politically motivated. I am saying, that if there ever was a time when politics as usual needs to be suspended, this is it!
Methinks you are leaning a bit too far to the left. Did you forget the meetings that dems held and refused republicans access? are you not aware of the recommendations the GOP has made, which were ignored - not even considered? Right yourself, man, you're about to tip over the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Nice appeal to emotion.

Legal does not = right
Legal abortion equals = legal murder. Dress it up as you like, it's still a death.

If MY money is being used to kill a baby (in whatever stage of development and growth), and I don't object, then I'm a participant. If I object vehemently, and others more powerful still insist on taking my money for that purpose, then I am an unwilling participant.

I hope they implement an abortion tax, like the bo-tax, so that abortion can pay for itself.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:15 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,380,527 times
Quote:
Nice appeal to emotion.

True. It is called genecide.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:28 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,136,821 times
So without any healthcare reform or regulations, the rich have no problem, most people with jobs, State and Federal Employees have no problem, $hit on everybody else. The unemployed lose their job and healthcare, while paying taxes to support healthcare for State and Federal Employees. My SIL works for the State, healthcare covers her and her husband who does not work for the State. Who's paying for this?

Old 11-20-2009, 08:35 AM

1,650 posts, read 932,064 times
Quote:
Why did Reid release the text if it's a secret? Roy?
Shhh Roy can't tell you it's a secret

Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 AM

22,243 posts, read 14,794,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Methinks you are leaning a bit too far to the left. Did you forget the meetings that dems held and refused republicans access? are you not aware of the recommendations the GOP has made, which were ignored - not even considered? Right yourself, man, you're about to tip over the edge.
It's nice of you to be concerned about my balance. You seem to be either too young or mis-informed about the GOP strategy,or perhaps you agree with it. It is the same strategy used, successfully, in 1993, when Bill Kristol warned Republican leaders ithat Clinton's plan was a "serious political threat" to the party. I am aware of the the Republican "recommendations" and see little in the way of real benefit, other than Tort Reform. The fundamental problem remains, the GOP's lack of real engagement in the process will not kill a bill this time. They have been asked numerous times to get involved. They don't and they won't, for political reasons. That posturing will result in an unbalanced and overly costly initial step toward a solution. I don't see where reforming health care is a left/right issue, its needed by all of us. The Rep/Dem issue is simply a political fight about on who's watch the process starts. I am no fan of Congress, Dem or Rep, my "contempt" of them is pretty much bipartisan. It's just that this issue is huge for America, and it's currently the Dems that are working on a solution, unfortunately for us, they are doing it alone.

Last edited by florida.bob; 11-20-2009 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies