U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:15 AM

10,962 posts, read 7,736,887 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
And I guess reading for COMPREHENSION isn't your strong suit, is it?

He was never "no longer" able to get out of the chair. He was told by the paramedics who took him home that the moment he was placed there he'd never be able to get out of that chair. Those people KNEW what position they were putting that man in, AND LEFT HIM THERE TO ROT, ANYWAY!
Listen to yourself. Moderator cut: RUDE "those people left him to rot"???!!!
Wake up Jill! It was his own fault that he was in the position that he was in. No one else's. And for you to continuously blame others only serves to turn people off to your point of view.

Quote:
In addition, as I pointed out in my previous post, his wife DID try to get him help. They tried for several weeks, but everyone kept telling them he'd have to come to them, they wouldn't go to him! How the hell was he supposed to do that when paramedics left him stuck in a chair with a knee injury that prevented him from getting up???
The guy weighed 550 pounds..Before he broke his knee!!!! I have news for you: This guy lost hope long before he sat down in that recliner and all of this could probably have been avoided had he invested in counseling.
Yes I do realize that costs money.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-20-2009 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 07:22 AM

878 posts, read 2,493,261 times
This is such a sad story and it possibly shows the need for better education of the public of how to navigate health services. I can only imagine that the people involved did not know what they could actually do and after making various attempts to get help, possibly from the wrong places, gave up and let this condition take over their life. With approximately 30% of adults in SC being obese, maybe his weight wasn't seen, in general, as the problem that it actually was. IMHO, someone in this man's position should have been counseled in the hospital when he was having knee surgery and some type of physical therapy along with nutritional counseling should have been given to him and his family.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:26 AM

9,644 posts, read 8,347,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
Good post Jill. If I may, I think people blame the wife for the food she supplied to her husband. That she had control over as he was immobile. I want to think that the wife felt it was her duty to take care of and obey her husband. I think religion played a part in their decision making.

Being without health insurance did not help in this case also. I would not be surprised if more deaths from obesity are recorded in this great wealthy country we live that does not provide health insurance for its citizens.
Obey? Seriously did you just say that

My mother was as christian as they come and she never felt she had to Obey anyone

Old 11-20-2009, 07:41 AM

34,990 posts, read 33,885,620 times
If he had sores and was >gulp< stuck to the recliner, she wasnt cleaning him up. Not that she was likely being evil but they were maybe in some awful co-dependent spiral. If you're normal yourself and you see anyone, let alone your own husband, in this situation you call for help! And negotiate paying for it later.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:00 AM

14,810 posts, read 13,574,437 times
Liberals (and liberal media like MSNBC) can use this sad case as another "lack-of-health-insurance-killed-my_____________" rallying cry but, honestly, we don't know what really happened or what efforts on the part of everyone involved i.e. hospital, social services, patient, physician, wife etc. were made to help him. We only know what the wife is quoted as having said and how MSNBC has spun it. There could be countless other factors in play here e.g. the hospital could have recommended a nursing home and the patient refused.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:01 AM

952 posts, read 1,866,377 times
I agree with Delusianne, there is NO WAY his wife was cleaning him up if he was stuck to the recliner. I think she could have done much more for him in the way of getting some type of help. There are agencies that deal with these types of cases. I agree with Cunucu also in that we really don't know the whole story. As a former nurse, I know that sometimes people are offered help and they refuse.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:19 AM

14,810 posts, read 13,574,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I'm getting so sick and tired of having to ask people this question around here!

DID YOU BOTHER TO READ THE ARTICLE????

The man went into the hospital for a knee injury and was sent home because they had no insurance to keep him there for treatment or recovery. When he first arrived home, his wife TRIED to find help for him, but couldn't get anyone to come to them to provide it, and he COULDN'T get up from the chair because of his KNEE INJURY.
And do YOU believe that this article from a left wing news source tells the WHOLE, ENTIRE, COMPLETE story? If so, you seriously need a reality check.

The man was accepted as a patient at this hospital (fact), treated until hospitalization could no longer be justified (fact) and, as a former nurse--44 years and now retired--I can tell you that a far more likely scenario of the facts surrounding his discharge is that the hospital recommended a nursing home and that he refused.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:22 AM

29,988 posts, read 35,897,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Yes this man is being used. NO ambulance can refuse to pick you up and take you to the hospital. The hospital cannot refuse medical care unless it is a private hospital.....
Exactly. This is pure propoganda. I don't believe for a minute that someone who gets online from his laptop, apparently nearly right up to the very end, while sitting in a chair from which he cannot move, does not have the means to continue to reach out for help.

So the wife tried for WEEKS to get help? What about the MONTHS he had been home and in the chair? Can you imagine how fast this man would have received help if the wife had called the local news channel to complain that EMT-Paramedics had dumped him in his chair to die? Local press would have been all over that one.

But no, the only press is on the week of a cloture vote for Obamacare and after the man has died. It sounds as though the man and his wife had and have, respectively, very poor decision making skills.

There is almost always more to every story reported by the lame-street-press then reaches the public eyes/ears. That some folks drink up every word as reported as gospel leads me to say: have another glass of Kool-Aid!

P.S. The cloture vote to enslave you to pay for every other person's healthcare, whether they our in the country legally or not is tomorrow night. Have you called your Senators?
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Time is short people! Don't fall for this "he died because he was uninsured" propganda! How many times is that cited as a cause of death on the death certificate anyway? Show me!

Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,963,954 times
And it wasn't even the wife that finally dialed 911. It was the guy's mother.
There's more to this story than we are being told by this article.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:33 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,511,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
If he had sores and was >gulp< stuck to the recliner, she wasnt cleaning him up. Not that she was likely being evil but they were maybe in some awful co-dependent spiral. If you're normal yourself and you see anyone, let alone your own husband, in this situation you call for help! And negotiate paying for it later.
Actually, I was thinking that she would only be able to clean certain areas. Who can lift a man who weighs over 500 pounds? Snaking your arm under wouldn't work, either.

Now, while she called for help, she wasn't finding people who could help with the transportation problem. Transporting a person of that weight with a mobility problem requires multiple people for lifting and special equipment for transporting. "Special" meaning you cannot just dump them into a car. I wonder how many volunteer organizations there are in that area that can also deal with the issues involved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or