Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 02:37 PM

37,048 posts, read 41,988,658 times

Advertisements

This shouldn't be part of any healthcare debate. He did what he did because he didn't want to do anything else. It's extremely sad that nobody he knew would step in and do something for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 02:42 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,261,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
It sounds like there was a little mental illness involved here both in the denial of the wife and the husband to allow himself to get that bad.
There is help out there for people who have no insurance if nothing more then going to the hospital and not paying. Thats better then dying.

I do believe people can be addicted to food just as some people are addicted to drugs.

Depression no doubt played a huge part for both of them.

Sad story.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. He killed himself- and it was his right to do so. He found someone to help him and that's how he wanted. HAd he wanted help, he could have gotten it. Why do we have to meddle with or second guess his choice?

Old 11-20-2009, 02:48 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,154,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree. He killed himself- and it was his right to do so. He found someone to help him and that's how he wanted. HAd he wanted help, he could have gotten it. Why do we have to meddle with or second guess his choice?
His behavior indicates he was clearly depressed. It is a shame there was no intervention from any of the friends or other family members. Perhaps something could have been done to help him.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,143,441 times
Let me start out by saying I'm a liberal Democrat who supports health care reform.

Having said that, this situation has nothing to do with health insurance. As others have said, this is about people failing to take responsibility for their own actions. You can't blame the paramedics - they did what they were asked to do. Besides, if they had put this guy in his bed then the only difference is that he would have died there.

The biggest mystery to me is why anyone would continue to bring the massive amounts of food necessary to maintain a weight of 800 pounds to a person who is unable to get up and get it themselves. The bedridden (or recliner-ridden in this case) person doesn't even have to have any willpower. He (or she) can only eat what is brought to them. You bring them reasonable amounts of healthy food each day, and that's what they'll eat. Every case of morbidly obese people getting to the point where they can't even get up has to have a facilitator. And that person (or persons) is just as responsible as the obese person for the situation.

It's a mystery to me.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:26 PM

346 posts, read 406,634 times
I wonder who was paying for porky's grub every day? Maybe they could have used that money to peel his fat arse off the chair and take him to the hospital.

I think it's a redneck thing. I had a buddy who grew up in West Va. He said his uncle broke his leg and sat around in his recliner for three years without getting the cast removed. I guess he used to **** in a five gallon bucket and have his cousin empty it. Eventually his leg became gangreen and was chopped off. I guess this is all somebody elses fault too.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:40 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,860,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Let me start out by saying I'm a liberal Democrat who supports health care reform.

Having said that, this situation has nothing to do with health insurance. As others have said, this is about people failing to take responsibility for their own actions. You can't blame the paramedics - they did what they were asked to do. Besides, if they had put this guy in his bed then the only difference is that he would have died there.

The biggest mystery to me is why anyone would continue to bring the massive amounts of food necessary to maintain a weight of 800 pounds to a person who is unable to get up and get it themselves. The bedridden (or recliner-ridden in this case) person doesn't even have to have any willpower. He (or she) can only eat what is brought to them. You bring them reasonable amounts of healthy food each day, and that's what they'll eat. Every case of morbidly obese people getting to the point where they can't even get up has to have a facilitator. And that person (or persons) is just as responsible as the obese person for the situation.

It's a mystery to me.
you are 100% right! the bottom line is that this man CHOSE to kill himself by overeating and his wife CHOSE to assist him in this slow suicide by continually bringing him the food, just like a pusher, only food instead of drugs.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:46 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,261,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
His behavior indicates he was clearly depressed. It is a shame there was no intervention from any of the friends or other family members. Perhaps something could have been done to help him.
What business is it of anyone? Why do we have to call it a disease? Maybe he just wanted to lie down in his recliner and go. Not our business. Now, if someone had forced him to lie there, or if he had been a child, that's society's business- otherwise, not.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:27 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,294,167 times
Quote:

It's a mystery to me.

lack of health insurance did NOT kill this man, no matter how much some here may want to rant otherwise. the man was holding online sermons everyday. you're telling me he couldn't have sought help from these folks? couldn't have reached out to the media? in order for a man that big to stay that big (and to apparently gain 300 pounds in less than a year) he would have to eat a ridiculous amount of food. simply reducing his caloric intake would have caused him to lose weight even w/o him moving a muscle.

sad story, but this has little to do w/ insurance. this sounds more like a man w/ severe depression that just gave up and slowly killed himself

Old 11-20-2009, 04:51 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,154,550 times
Quote:

It's a mystery to me.
Can't believe I just repped a liberal Democrat. (JK)

But you are right on the mark, janettvj.

Forgotten in this whole thread is the fact that the article quotes the hospital as saying the man died of a heart attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
What business is it of anyone? Why do we have to call it a disease? Maybe he just wanted to lie down in his recliner and go. Not our business. Now, if someone had forced him to lie there, or if he had been a child, that's society's business- otherwise, not.
Situations like these are the business of family and friends who love him. They have a moral obligation to try and interrupt the destructive cycle and if they are unsuccessful, the onus falls totally someone else, in this case the patient and his wife.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:17 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,378,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
I want to think that the wife felt it was her duty to take care of and obey her husband. I think religion played a part in their decision making.
Speculation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies