Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:00 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times

Advertisements

After reading this quote from one of those founders I just wondered if that amendment is still part of the Bill of Rights.

"The whole of that Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals... [i]t establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." --Albert Gallatin, letter to Alexander Addison, 1789

I was thinking that those who want to take away the rights of the people concerning ownership of guns aren't even a majority but they are after the guns, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:05 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
The spirit of it is contained in the 9th and 10th amendments.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The spirit of it is contained in the 9th and 10th amendments.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
I think I should have placed Amendment 10 in my original question. You can see the powers of the states being thrown away more and more every day and too many people don't even know what Amendment 10 says.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:17 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
What kind of nickel-dime, bruhaha are you trying to start now, Roy? Supreme court has affirmed the 2nd. as an individual right. What more do you want? There will always be some on the far left who believe that all guns should be banned and there will be some on the far right that believe that every person should be armed at all times. What's your point? Or are you just whining that there are anti gunners in the world?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:19 AM

I actually got stopped on the streets of DC once by a C-Span interviewer and cameraman and asked if I could recite the 9th amendment. Sad to say I failed. Certain ones get lots more attention than others. I'd say the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 8th are better known than the others. You rarely if ever hear anyone invoking their 3rd or 7th amendment rights.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
What kind of nickel-dime, bruhaha are you trying to start now, Roy? Supreme court has affirmed the 2nd. as an individual right. What more do you want? There will always be some on the far left who believe that all guns should be banned and there will be some on the far right that believe that every person should be armed at all times. What's your point? Or are you just whining that there are anti gunners in the world?
Actually this topic is very relevant right now. The court has applied it to the District of Columbia in Heller because it's a federal entity but has not yet ruled if it applies to the states and localities by way of the 14th amendment. That's a hot one coming up.

I'll go on record as supporting its extension to the states and localities.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
Well I find it interesting with the 18th amendment to barring alcohol in 1919.
Later we repealled it 1933.
hmmmm interesting if you think about that kind of control over what people drink.
Shows us government ammendments of Rights verse trying to BARR something got over turned. The income tax was created in 1913 doesnt mean it is a good idea either. I see nothing in the 16th amendment that promotes freedoms for rights for people. Other amendments show us the process for elections, womens right to vote, ending slavery etc. Income is not about freedom its about taking from people.
How did this get passed!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:52 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Actually this topic is very relevant right now. The court has applied it to the District of Columbia in Heller because it's a federal entity but has not yet ruled if it applies to the states and localities by way of the 14th amendment. That's a hot one coming up.

I'll go on record as supporting its extension to the states and localities.
My apologies to Roy and his OP. You're right it is a hot button issue. I to believe that the 2nd. ammendment should be interpreted as written and that the Supreme court ruling should pre emp state restrictions.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I was trying to point out that a founder had said a thing like that but Eric Holder is still trying to get rid of privately owned guns. Did you fail to read the quoted words? Do you not know about Holder and guns?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
My apologies to Roy and his OP. You're right it is a hot button issue. I to believe that the 2nd. ammendment should be interpreted as written and that the Supreme court ruling should pre emp state restrictions.
We were getting along fine on this post until you said the Supreme Court had a right to take away our guns. They are violating our 2nd Amendment rights and the 10th Amendment when they try to do that to states.

OK, apology accepted but I understood why you said what you originally said. I still worry about the whole thing with Holder in Justice and all those people in czar offices that would be glad to see us lost our guns.

Isn't that something? There is not a gun in our house and never has been other than air rifles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies