U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 AM

1,477 posts, read 1,358,938 times

Advertisements

I noticed a drastic increase in thug culture during the Bush presidency. He obviously had something to do with it.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 AM

9,644 posts, read 8,344,108 times
Speaking to the young and breaking the cycle

Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 AM

12,738 posts, read 7,364,993 times
I think Bill Cosby nailed it when he pointed the finger at black males for not stepping up to the plate and being fathers to their children. Lack of a father figure in the family unit is probably the biggest cause of thug mentality IMO.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:58 AM

10,720 posts, read 16,850,328 times
What I find sad is the people who perpetuate this thug image: Ice Cube, Snoop Dog, 50 Cent, Dr. Dre and other hip hop celebrities live like the preppiest white guys. They send their kids to private school. They don't live in the ghetto even in mansions. They choose to live in exclusive white neighborhoods. A lot of their friends are white. They don't speak like gangsters or talk tough outside of work. The problem is many Black youth look up to these people and only understand them based on what they see on television or videos. I wish they could see how these people really live. The notion that you are weak if you act White is a trite and stupid statement. The reality is the most succesful thugs are essentially white guys when they are off camera.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 AM

51,325 posts, read 50,591,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I've had enough of this idiotic behavior in the black community. It's just down right sick. There is a segment of the black population that is causing problems for the blacks that are productive and want to live a higher quality of life.

MOST black areas in major cities are total WAR ZONES. I talk with friends and family about this isse very often.

It's hard for blacks with decent incomes to find establishments that cater to blacks because those damn thugs have destroyed black communities across the country.

They tear up the properties and the violence is unbelievable. I'd like to go to a high end restaurants and stores owned by blacks but it's hard to find areas in major cities that have not been over taken black poor black thug culture.

Heck I'd like to go high end stores owned by whites if they were opening up shop in black areas but they don't and I cannot blame them.

I would bet and like to believe if those destroyed black areas in the cities were majority middle class to upper class blacks with decent to high incomes and high net worth, whites and blacks alike would open businesses in those areas.

It am totally disappointed considering all of the years of hard work blacks have put in fighting for civil rights. I also would like to add that whites helped fight for the civil rights of blacks as well. It seems as if it has been wasted. :-(

I'll probably get bashed for this thread because someone will make up 1 million excuses is to why the behavior is justified.

What are some possible solutions?
I wish I had the solutions. I'd be running the country.

But in truth, change is slow, but change is happening. I work with a lot of black people--not just five or ten--and they are all educated professionals--mostly engineers, but also accountants and other business types. Some of them grew up in the ghetto during the 60's and had parents who made them take advantage of head start programs and educational opportunities that appeared during that time.

There likely will always be that core group of ignorant black people who will stay in the gutter because that's all they know and all they want to know, just as there will always be that core group of ignorant white people who will stay where they are.

I'd say any possible solutions have to do with education.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:01 AM

394 posts, read 442,449 times
It's actually not POOR black culture that is the problem. Many of these blacks and even some whites who embrace this criminal thug culture are not even poor. That is what is ridiculous.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:13 AM

921 posts, read 955,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Possible solutions? one is for people to stop labeling these areas, that includes people of all ethnic backgrounds.

Let me explain...
Once an area gets labeled as a bad neighborhood, people start talking and it becomes common belief or thought, that it is an area to not go into.
I agree with you on the fact that people should stop labeling these areas.

A couple of riff-raff defected people in a neighborhood should not cause the whole area to be labeled in that manor.

All people who live or grew up in those areas are not bad people, it's just that the local media always report every little criminal detail they can find in those areas but when it comes to the so called "Upper Class" areas, none of their crimes are reported & there's a lot going on in those areas.

I myself grew up in a rough area which was labeled as "ghetto" but my family & I did not use that label to define who we are & our morals for life.
Due to my father dying when I was very young, my mother was left to raise us as a single parent & at that time we had no choice but to live in an affordable area.
None of us turned out to be "Ghetto" at all.

That label did not follow any of us because I am now a professional woman who graduated from college, and all of my family stayed out of trouble & also avoided that "media portrayed" lifestyle.

So it's wrong to label a whole area / community based on a couple of bad seeds.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:09 AM

6,321 posts, read 8,652,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

What are some possible solutions?
This Black thug culture you mentioned is the byproduct of other things. The reason crime is higher among Blacks is because Blacks have more of the factors that contribute to higher crime rates in general. In Black America there's too much poverty,teen mothers,female headed homes and unemployed Black fathers,a lack of Black businesses etc. With these things being higher among Blacks you get more social problems coming from Blacks or social problems disproportionate to our numbers.

The solutions utimately is to reduce unemployment among Black men and reduce Black teen pregnancy.

Studies show that an employed father is more likely to marry or settle down with the mother of his children. This two parent situation would help to reduce the amount of delinquency found in poor Black areas. The biggest factor shapping Black male unemployement has been the decline in manufacturing jobs because Black males have been heavly concentrated in manufacturing work. So when manufacturing jobs decline in America it hurts Black employment more.

Reducing Black male unemployement can come from gov't economic policies that expand job creation for all and from an increase in entreprenurship coming from Black men. More Black males need to become self employed. The Black dollar needs to circulate at least 8 times before leaving Black hands. To reduce teen pregnancy we need more comprehensive sex education. Too many teen mothers who aren't mature enough to raise kids properly and often on their own will produce too many thugs basically. When these things are reduced(unemployment,teen mothers) then you will see real changes in Black communities.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:33 AM

6,321 posts, read 8,652,316 times
Some insight.

Quote:
I see a very strong association between some of these problems like gang behavior and violent crime and joblessness. For example, if you look at a recent longitudinal study conducted by my colleague at the University of Colorado -- we are doing a book together -- Delbert Elliot. He found, for example, that by the time white males and black males reached the late 20s, the violent crime ratio is 4 to 1 -- 4 black to 1 white. Much higher violent crime rate among black males. However, when he controlled for employment, there was no significant difference in the violent crime rate between white males and black males. No significant difference.

frontline: the two nations of black america: interview with william julius wilson

Old 11-20-2009, 11:35 AM

7,994 posts, read 10,916,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnamecanido View Post
It's actually not POOR black culture that is the problem. Many of these blacks and even some whites who embrace this criminal thug culture are not even poor. That is what is ridiculous.
Exactly. It is lack of personal values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or