U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:07 AM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,521 posts, read 13,557,255 times
Reputation: 8079

Advertisements

I've had enough of this idiotic behavior in the black community. It's just down right sick. There is a segment of the black population that is causing problems for the blacks that are productive and want to live a higher quality of life.

MOST black areas in major cities are total WAR ZONES. I talk with friends and family about this isse very often.

It's hard for blacks with decent incomes to find establishments that cater to blacks because those damn thugs have destroyed black communities across the country.

They tear up the properties and the violence is unbelievable. I'd like to go to a high end restaurants and stores owned by blacks but it's hard to find areas in major cities that have not been over taken black poor black thug culture.

Heck I'd like to go high end stores owned by whites if they were opening up shop in black areas but they don't and I cannot blame them.

I would bet and like to believe if those destroyed black areas in the cities were majority middle class to upper class blacks with decent to high incomes and high net worth, whites and blacks alike would open businesses in those areas.


It am totally disappointed considering all of the years of hard work blacks have put in fighting for civil rights. I also would like to add that whites helped fight for the civil rights of blacks as well. It seems as if it has been wasted. :-(


I'll probably get bashed for this thread because someone will make up 1 million excuses is to why the behavior is justified.


What are some possible solutions?

 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 AM
 
8,287 posts, read 11,483,140 times
Reputation: 4938
possible solution? I doubt you are even black!
 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 AM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,521 posts, read 13,557,255 times
Reputation: 8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
possible solution? I doubt you are even black!
LOL.........I've beeen on CD for a while now. Not in this forum but many know I am black because they have seen me in real life.

Why would I spend time posting over 3000 posts to all of a sudden pretend I am black?


You must be offended.



Solutions?

Last edited by Ron.; 11-20-2009 at 07:44 AM..
 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:42 AM
 
7,994 posts, read 10,916,884 times
Reputation: 2703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I've had enough of this idiotic behavior in the black community. It's just down right sick. There is a segment of the black population that is causing problems for the blacks that are productive and want to live a higher quality of life.

MOST black areas in major cities are total WAR ZONES. I talk with friends and family about this isse very often.

It's hard for blacks with decent incomes to find establishments that cater to blacks because those damn thugs have destroyed black communities across the country.

They tear up the properties and the violence is unbelievable. I'd like to go to a high end restaurants and stores owned by blacks but it's hard to find areas in major cities that have not been over taken black poor black thug culture.

Heck I'd like to go high end stores owned by whites if they were opening up shop in black areas but they don't and I cannot blame them.

I would bet and like to believe if those destroyed black areas in the cities were majority middle class to upper class blacks with decent to high incomes and high net worth, whites and blacks alike would open businesses in those areas.


It am totally disappointed considering all of the years of hard work blacks have put in fighting for civil rights. I also would like to add that whites helped fight for the civil rights of blacks as well. It seems as if it has been wasted. :-(


I'll probably get bashed for this thread because someone will make up 1 million excuses is to why the behavior is justified.


What are some possible solutions?
You won't get bashed, this thread will simply get swept under the rug. For some reason, people do not want to acknowledge the issues you brought up.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Central, IL
3,408 posts, read 3,462,965 times
Reputation: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I've had enough of this idiotic behavior in the black community. It's just down right sick. There is a segment of the black population that is causing problems for the blacks that are productive and want to live a higher quality of life.

MOST black areas in major cities are total WAR ZONES. I talk with friends and family about this isse very often.

It's hard for blacks with decent incomes to find establishments that cater to blacks because those damn thugs have destroyed black communities across the country.

They tear up the properties and the violence is unbelievable. I'd like to go to a high end restaurants and stores owned by blacks but it's hard to find areas in major cities that have not been over taken black poor black thug culture.

Heck I'd like to go high end stores owned by whites if they were opening up shop in black areas but they don't and I cannot blame them.

I would bet and like to believe if those destroyed black areas in the cities were majority middle class to upper class blacks with decent to high incomes and high net worth, whites and blacks alike would open businesses in those areas.


It am totally disappointed considering all of the years of hard work blacks have put in fighting for civil rights. I also would like to add that whites helped fight for the civil rights of blacks as well. It seems as if it has been wasted. :-(


I'll probably get bashed for this thread because someone will make up 1 million excuses is to why the behavior is justified.


What are some possible solutions?
Possible solutions? one is for people to stop labeling these areas, that includes people of all ethnic backgrounds.

Let me explain...
Once an area gets labeled as a bad neighborhood, people start talking and it becomes common belief or thought, that it is an area to not go into. It then is believed that outsiders should not invest in these areas. Now that people are not willing to invest in the areas, there is no hope of social or economical change. In turn these areas tend to get worse.

Then you have some of these areas that are considered bad neighborhoods, that people should stay away from, that do actually have higher end stores, but, since people have already labled the area, people don't know about the stores., so they assume, there isnt such a type of store. Many of times these stores then can not bring in the revenue to stay afloat.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:56 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,883 posts, read 1,753,802 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Possible solutions? one is for people to stop labeling these areas, that includes people of all ethnic backgrounds.

Let me explain...
Once an area gets labeled as a bad neighborhood, people start talking and it becomes common belief or thought, that it is an area to not go into. It then is believed that outsiders should not invest in these areas. Now that people are not willing to invest in the areas, there is no hope of social or economical change. In turn these areas tend to get worse.

Then you have some of these areas that are considered bad neighborhoods, that people should stay away from, that do actually have higher end stores, but, since people have already labled the area, people don't know about the stores., so they assume, there isnt such a type of store. Many of times these stores then can not bring in the revenue to stay afloat.
That has hardly the effect on things than what the OP mentioned. An area doesn't get a bad reputation for no reason.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,755 posts, read 23,230,467 times
Reputation: 6092
Hey Ron, I agree with your point of view here.

The only solution that I can see is for those black individuals/families that obtain median or above incomes to move out of those majority black areas, and establish themselves in sections where they will be the minority. I know it shoudn't be this way, but based upon the "thug culture" that certainly exist (and to a degree appears to even be admired by quite a few folks) in many majority black communitites, I see no way of convincing large retailers to locate stores in those areas.

In Philly and Cleveland, two cities I know really well, a few attempts were made to open shopping centers in the types of areas described in your OP, but they ultimately ended up shutting down. The level of crime associated with the areas, and intimidation preventing decent folks from coming to shop, made the ventures too difficult to sustain. The shoppers often become targets for those problem individuals.

Tough, and legitimate, issue.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Central, IL
3,408 posts, read 3,462,965 times
Reputation: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
That has hardly the effect on things than what the OP mentioned. An area doesn't get a bad reputation for no reason.
Yes the area may get a bad reputation for a reason, there is no denying that, but, it don't mean the reputation has to remain that way, but, for reasons that I mentioned, many of times, these areas stay being crime infested and the thug culture remains at large.

There are also many of these areas that earned a bad reputation, but have since became a lot safer, but because of common belief or thought, they are not recognized as being that way, so, still people do not invest in the area.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Neither here nor there
14,810 posts, read 13,569,082 times
Reputation: 32926
Watch the Glenn Beck videos posted on this thread. His audience of African-Americans speak to this issue.
 
Old 11-20-2009, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Toledo
3,861 posts, read 7,420,509 times
Reputation: 3646
Ron I can relate. The thugs are a big issue in many black communities. Why some people refuse to acknowledge this is beyond me.

I can't say that I have any good solutions. Most of my solutions would require the thugs, at risk kids, and the parents of at risk kids to work on themselves. We have programs for at risk kids and maybe we could ramp up those efforts. The problem is that most of these kids that stay in these programs are motivated to do better. Don't get me wrong, I think that's great, but how do we get to the kids that aren't motivated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top