U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 03:37 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,844,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
While I don't agree with gr99 on the bulk of his post, I would have to say that your last sentence is a breathtaking leap.
Why? Don't farmers hire illegals? Aren't they the ones responsible for providing them with thousands of jobs? If the farms in California stopped hiring illegals (pretty much everyone on a farm from Bakersfield to Sacramento is an undocumented immigrant) wouldn't there be a lot less motivation for them to come to the US?

Personally I don't find immigration to be a problem. I live within biking distance of the border and yet there hasn't been a day where an immigrant caused me to be worse off in any way. The benefits of those immigrants, however, are felt every day with the lower prices of goods and services.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 03:38 PM

30 posts, read 142,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
No. Military service doesn't teach you anything other than to blindly follow orders. I know because I was an Officer in the Navy.

Clearly you've never been to college and have no educated friends. Colleges are not simply "liberal professors mouthing off about their personal views". I learned about every major political philosophy, became fluent in spanish, studied advanced evolutionary biology, learned about Brazilian, French, Mexican and German history, took advanced writing classes, Calculus, etc.

Plus, one can go to college and serve in the military...I did and most of my friends did too.

You just proved the original post right...which is sad because it was done as a tongue-in-cheek parody of the bigotry displayed on these threads towards Blacks, Hispanics and Muslims.
The military doesnt teach you anything huh? First off, yes it does. Second off, I said the 10 years I spent in the military, I learned a lot. The different place I've been, the people I've met, the diverse backgrounds of people I work with, etc etc. Third, you were probably one of those weak officers that nobody listened to because you thought since you got a little brass on your shoulders, you deserved respect and it didnt turn out to be true, doesnt make you an expert on the military. Theres well over a million service members. Just because you couldnt hack it and got out doesnt mean everyone else shares your opinion kiddo.

I have been to college and so have most of my friends, while in the military. I'm currently pursuing a Bachelors in Technology at UAA and my wife is working on her Masters as we speak. I work with mostly officers who as you know, all went to college.

The only point that was proven was mine. You immediately drew conclusions without thinking despite all your "education." Too bad they didnt offer "Common Sense" at your school eh?

Old 11-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Another rural member who says he is more educated than someone who went to college and earned a degree. Score one for the OP
Rural?

Lets see...last 4 cities I've lived in have been Richmond, VA...St. Louis, MO...San Antonio, TX...and now Anchorage, AK. Not a rural area in there.

Way to draw conclusions without thinking...again.

Last edited by Robe81; 11-20-2009 at 03:53 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 03:46 PM

12,439 posts, read 9,951,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
hotair, I'm ashamed of you. I realize that you live in a pocket of conservatism and Baptist zealots, but that's not descriptive of the entire South and you know that.

I'm going to interject some things here as well. Some people carry on with their Southern bashing and feel justified because, well, look at how those Southerners voted. Not exactly Obama country, was it?

But do these same people ask where was the Obama campaign during the election? Did Obama make speeches, did Obama send out flyers, did Obama buy ads on TV? I understand, it was a close race, and he had to spend his dollars where they'd have the best chance of getting votes. But it's not exactly fair to criticize the people who live in places that got ignored by the Obama campaign, and were ignored by the Kerry campaign, and were ignored by other Democratic campaigns as well.

The Southern delegations to Congress are not predominantly Republican, but the depiction of red versus blue states does not honestly look at the complexity of Southern politics.
O.K. I agree somewhat. I agreed more with arizafan on what he said about doctors and rural areas. I know this to be true because my in-laws were paid much more to work in the rural areas as doctors than they would be getting in the more desirable locations like a metropolitan city or the coast.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:48 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
I learned Spanish and practiced it with the Mexicans who lived in a rural agrarian community. Who else knows Spanish here?

Old 11-20-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's a weak excuse! I had guys in my class who were in their late 30's and early 40's who had kids, wives who didn't work and nearly 400K in loans! I know others who joined the military. There are plenty of financial resources to those who are intelligent enough to find and pursue them.
For...what, exactly? So I could go out and NOT do work? If you're not using your muscles, you're not working. Using your brain comes easy.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robe81 View Post
The military doesnt teach you anything huh? First off, yes it does. Second off, I said the 10 years I spent in the military, I learned a lot. The different place I've been, the people I've met, the diverse backgrounds of people I work with, etc etc. Third, you were probably one of those weak officers that nobody listened to because you thought since you got a little brass on your shoulders, you deserved respect and it didnt turn out to be true, doesnt make you an expert on the military. Theres well over a million service members. Just because you couldnt hack it and got out doesnt mean everyone else shares your opinion kiddo.

I have been to college and so have most of my friends, while in the military. I'm currently pursuing a Bachelors in Technology at UAA and my wife is working on her Masters as we speak. I work with mostly officers who as you know, all went to college.

The only point that was proven was mine. You immediately drew conclusions without thinking despite all your "education." Too bad they didnt offer "Common Sense" at your school eh?
Stop insulting me. All it does is make you look bad.

I left the military because I was going to be sent to the Middle East for the rest of my life and I wanted some personal freedom. I was offered $60,000 just to stay. I turned it down.

Being an ENLISTED person in the military teaches you stuff that you should already know...like respect your superiors and follow orders. You are not taught to think, and you're certainly not taught to be independent.

What you learn in 10 years in the military can be learned in one semester abroad and through a little bit of disclipline in the home growing up. I enjoyed my time in the Navy, but I certainly gained a lot more of value from my education than from wearing the uniform and hooking up with dozens of women with Navy Officer fetishes...

Old 11-20-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I learned Spanish and practiced it with the Mexicans who lived in a rural agrarian community. Who else knows Spanish here?
Spanish was my minor IN COLLEGE where I not only learned how to communicate, but also read and write at a collegiate level. I read Spanish novels and watch Spanish films without the subtitles. If I hadn't gone to college, my Spanish would have been limited to incredibly elementary levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
For...what, exactly? So I could go out and NOT do work? If you're not using your muscles, you're not working. Using your brain comes easy.
No, try spending a day analyzing thousands of individual stock positions and coming up with a clear, cohesive (and beneficial) financial plan. Now try doing that 250 days a year.

I exercise for fun...I lift heavy items for the physical benefits...doing manual labor is easy work, hence the lower pay and larger pool of "qualified" applicants for jobs.

After all, someone with down's syndrome could be a manual laborer, but they certainly couldn't be an investment advisor!

Old 11-20-2009, 04:11 PM

And I think in my leisure time. I do the NY TImes puzzle, the LA Times puzzle, sudokus, cryptograms, all sorts of number and word games, logic puzzles. I read a lot--nonfiction--about anything that it pops into my head to want to learn more about. I'm great friends with the Dewey Decimal System.

I took the Enrolled Agent test and passed the first two parts of it. I still have to take the third part. I do taxes for ...fun. Up until last year, I was doing it for pay, but last year I volunteered to do it for free with the AARP. They don't charge excessive fees to do a cakewalk. Even attaching the various schedules--its STILL a cakewalk. Why should my employer get paid a higher rate for another five or ten minutes of my time? I work for an hourly rate, not a commission. It doesn't help ME any to create more forms for my clients, and run their bill up.

So this year, I'll probably forego doing it with the chain store, and just do it as a volunteer again Using my brain is easy--so it's a leisure activity.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Stop insulting me. All it does is make you look bad.

I left the military because I was going to be sent to the Middle East for the rest of my life and I wanted some personal freedom. I was offered $60,000 just to stay. I turned it down.

Being an ENLISTED person in the military teaches you stuff that you should already know...like respect your superiors and follow orders. You are not taught to think, and you're certainly not taught to be independent.

What you learn in 10 years in the military can be learned in one semester abroad and through a little bit of disclipline in the home growing up. I enjoyed my time in the Navy, but I certainly gained a lot more of value from my education than from wearing the uniform and hooking up with dozens of women with Navy Officer fetishes...
If you dont want to be "insulted", dont do it yourself. Its a two way street...if you want to be talked to with respect, give it first.

You dont know anything about Enlisted then other than what you were taught in OTS or whatever the Navy calls it. I always laugh at these Officers that come out of OTS that think the Enlisted are their personal pawns. Officers are pretty much the pencil pushers that do the "management" functions of the unit. The Enlisted pull the real work...and the NCO's do the real leading. To deny that is just foolish.

There is no possible way that you could ever learn 10 years of life experience in one semester at school...abroad or otherwise. How about oh, actually living abroad? Travelling and living among the locals? And like I said, most enlisted...at least in the AF...have a bachelors by the time they are an E-5.

Put it this way...you studied German history and culture right? Whats better? Sitting in some classroom or getting out there and seeing and smelling that stuff yourself? It seems pretty obvious to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or