U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 05:23 AM

60 posts, read 68,551 times

Advertisements

You are right! In fact I don't think that there are any people in an urban environment that look down on educated people or follow a pop-culture "religion" of societal self destruction.
Whats the matter?..couldn't get the tree house approved by the local planning commission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 06:00 AM

558 posts, read 708,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Right to work law deals with the right of the worker to have the freedom to choose to be union associated or not. That is, they can not be forced to such conditions.

As for labor law concerning overtime, which states do you refer to that do not pay overtime? I do not know of any. I do know of some who have variations of how they handle overtime hours, but none that simply just pay straight pay without such conditions.
I was just being facetious since his related comments had been written as though they were canon.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:46 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
While I agree that whites, in the US, have never experienced systemic racism, I'm not sure what you mean by "This is just a weak retort to use the victim card to avoid accepting responsibility for the racism that still exists in the South and rural areas toward minorities"

Who should be accepting responsibility and who is avoiding it, exactly?
There is an incredibly simple answer to this, IMHO, and it is the following: the white people who should be accepting responsibility for this are those who fully enjoy their white privilege, and in fact revel in it. They, at the same time and somewhat paradoxically, complain loudly on boards such as C-D whenever they perceive that their white privilege is somewhat and somehow eroding. To this white girl, and I think I'm not alone in this, such behavior seems to be more a species of a temper tantrum than a version of both reasonable and honest discourse. I've done this several times on these boards, and I'll do it again. I challenge any white person who feels victimized by what they call PC to describe to me how, exactly, they have been hurt by PC--you have to define what that is in order to answer the question. Then you have to describe some material effects of the alleged discrimination you've experienced. Sorry, but hurt feelings don't count as discrimination. Life is not fair, as any black or brown or tan person is more than capable of explaining.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:56 AM

19,081 posts, read 21,266,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
There is an incredibly simple answer to this, IMHO, and it is the following: the white people who should be accepting responsibility for this are those who fully enjoy their white privilege, and in fact revel in it. They, at the same time and somewhat paradoxically, complain loudly on boards such as C-D whenever they perceive that their white privilege is somewhat and somehow eroding. To this white girl, and I think I'm not alone in this, such behavior seems to be more a species of a temper tantrum than a version of both reasonable and honest discourse. I've done this several times on these boards, and I'll do it again. I challenge any white person who feels victimized by what they call PC to describe to me how, exactly, they have been hurt by PC--you have to define what that is in order to answer the question. Then you have to describe some material effects of the alleged discrimination you've experienced. Sorry, but hurt feelings don't count as discrimination. Life is not fair, as any black or brown or tan person is more than capable of explaining.
I agree that the level of goofiness coming out of those that complain about PC is cringe-worthy. But his post, as I understood it, read as if arguments against PC are just one tool to avoid taking responsibility. As if responsibility is clear for all, but some just fight against it. This is what I would like explained; hence the question.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:04 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,300,129 times
Quote:
I agree that the level of goofiness coming out of those that complain about PC is cringe-worthy. But his post, as I understood it, read as if arguments against PC are just one tool to avoid taking responsibility. As if responsibility is clear for all, but some just fight against it. This is what I would like explained; hence the question.
I agree that everyone should accept responsibility for their words and actions, and I guess I don't quite understand how I didn't answer your question, which is excellent, by the way. I really do think some people avoid taking responsibility, which is incredibly childish. Corporations in general, for example, don't want to take responsibility for the social harms they cause in terms of outsourcing and pollution, and they make everybody else pay for their bad behavior. To me, they are similar to abusive families. Abusive families break everything around them, every small helpless thing, and then, if they are even aware of the mess they have made, expect the rest of us to clean it up. That is the ultimate example of behavior that is not only bad, but also reckless, shameful, and selfish. I believe that racism is a species of child abuse--it hurts children profoundly. People need to stop doing it, right now.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:44 AM

19,081 posts, read 21,266,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I agree that everyone should accept responsibility for their words and actions, and I guess I don't quite understand how I didn't answer your question, which is excellent, by the way.
Thanks, tho, I'm not sure you understand my question. When I ask who should be taking responsibility, you might be correct in that those that spout off are contributing to racism. I'm just not sure that's what azriverfan meant because "the racism that still exists in the South and rural areas toward minorities" still...still. Racism of yesterday wasn't based on anti-pc sentiment, tho, it may be a cousin. That's food for thought that I haven't considered. From where I sit, it seems to be more of your position than his. Again, I won't know until he pipes in.

Quote:
I really do think some people avoid taking responsibility, which is incredibly childish. Corporations in general, for example, don't want to take responsibility for the social harms they cause in terms of outsourcing and pollution, and they make everybody else pay for their bad behavior. To me, they are similar to abusive families. Abusive families break everything around them, every small helpless thing, and then, if they are even aware of the mess they have made, expect the rest of us to clean it up. That is the ultimate example of behavior that is not only bad, but also reckless, shameful, and selfish. I believe that racism is a species of child abuse--it hurts children profoundly. People need to stop doing it, right now.
Consumerism and corps is a good example and pretty easy to identify. As consumers do we support these corps financially? Intentionally or not, responsibility is clear. The family growing their own crops, recycling, shopping at mom and pops, etc, imo, shouldn't take responsibility.

You offer another great analogy, in that racism is a species of child abuse. Well done.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:19 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 794,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
The souther culture period has destroyed the GOP.
It hasn't yet, but give it time, and with the proper stoking by Sarah Palin and Joe the Plumber, the destruction of the Republican Party will be complete.

The Republicans are going to split into a Wall Street-led Fiscal Conservative Party (The JP Morgans seems like a proper political party name) and the GOP (God's Ordained Party) which will take on a Socially Conservative Evangelical Party slant. The rural Southerners and Westerners will migrate to this branch. These two conservative branches will never come together on anything and it will ensure Democratic majorities in Gov't for years and years to come....

The class-based elitism which has been the traditional GOP's "dirty little secret" is FINALLY coming to the surface nationally....

This is why Fox Business Channel can't get any ratings. The Wall Street and Orange County, CA, crowd don't watch Fox News because of the Palin/Plumber pandering and, therefore, they don't give Fox Business Channel a chance. Even when Fox Business Channel hires Lou Dobbs it won't make a difference...

Old 11-22-2009, 12:30 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,302,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
[parody title]

Seriously how do you white rural Southern boys think you helping yourselves out? ( I'm a white southern boy myself from a rural town)

[ Fair warning: I'm going to generalize here]

You think it's a bad thing have an advanced education. You mock scientists. You cheer on any War they tell you is needed. You try and legislate morality. You try and push your religion into public schools and court houses. You bad mouth unions that have given this country the "weekend" and "overtime pay".
You're against raising the minimum wage so a man who wants to work can earn a living for his family. You're against healthcare for those less fortunate than yourselves. You actually whine when the rich must pay more of a share in taxes.

I now live in in a wealthy neighborhood and exclusive school district in the South. Do you think it's your type that is running the show here? Hardly.

Asians and Jews and transplants from the Coasts are on the rise here. They respect teachers, they value scientists, they know how important is is to have marketable skills. They don't push their religion on others. The unionized pilots here make very sure their careers and incomes are secure for their families sake. The Asian Doctors send their kids to advanced tutoring while your spending your money on a new "wave runner" or Z71.

You're killing us................You should travel to Europe and see how white boys are supposed to act......hint: They use their brains!
Amen.

But actually it's the "Working Class Hero" or "Archie Bunker" ethic or whatever that's doing it. It shows up in the north too. E.g. the classic "Yo I'm from Brooklyn (or Pittsburgh, or Joysee, or wherever) and I'm tough like ya know that singer guy Bruce Springsteen"... LOL! a man that sings! LOL!

My father had a big does of it. "Oh poo poo on those college boys"... except that they were earning bigger salaries than him and seeing to it that their kids were getting into Ivy League schools while his family was taking on stupid self limiting ideas...

He was a high school drop out that learned aircraft mechanics is the Air Force. Only reason he could get away with that attitude is that during his life there as a GE and Pratt & Whitney to work at... end of the cold war kinda shut that down. As the collapse of the auto industry occurs, another bastion of that thinking will collapse.

The jewish and asian folks inculcate their kids with a different ideal. The same ideal as the upper crust whites... shoot for the top positions. Working your way up from the bottom is a waste of time and life. Get a good education and fly in from the upper echelons... Case in point, seems jewish folks run the Fed, much of Wall Street, and the top firms in Hollywood. I.e. they have a stranglehold on the Money, the Capital, and the Media, LOL! Of course the other threat will be the agressive africanization that is occuring. But that's fodder for another thread. (I.e. the educated non-whites will take over the businesses, the ghetto cred blacks will take over the streets, LOL!)

So yeah, working class white men, especially those from the pre 60's era stupidly capped the achievement of thier children by passing on self limiting stupity that defended being stuck in the working classes as somehow superior.

Trust me, I try to make sure all the young people in the families I know, know this isn't the way to go. It took me quite some time to see through that brainwashing. Never did get my father to see through his. But hey, they assimilated him young, in the Air Force as a trained underling to turn monkey wrenches on B-52s. He was trained to know his place, which was always subordinate. Quite the opposite of what the future leaders get trained for.

Now as for rural as in farmers, etc. In some respects they actually do embody a self sufficient, independent attitude, as they are essentially, when successful, business owners. But that's a different concept that say the "Urban Cowboy" thing.

Unfortunately, big Agra is squashing that pretty well. Bottom line is, few people today in the U.S. have a way to be sufficiently independent enough to hold onto the ideals of early America. When Henry Ford got us all to come in from the fields and work in factories, we began giving up on our individual freedom.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:45 PM

10,720 posts, read 16,904,864 times
Quote:
What exactly did you fail to comprehend in my answer? Diva seems to understand what I saying and I thought my answer was fairly intuitive. Are you arguing that Whites in the South and rural areas do not discriminate against minorities more than people in urban areas outside of the South? When Whites from those areas are faced with acknowledging the rampant discrimination in their area, they will often downplay that discrimination by saying society has embellished it through emphasizing political correctness. Again, I'm not advocating PC in all cases but I was making a comment on it with regard to how Southern and rural whites use it. Nonetheless, I do feel that you understood my point and are simply asking this question as a weak attempt to discredit me.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,387,576 times
The true Southerner isn't a member of the GOP. Lincoln was part of the GOP and look what HE did to the South. The GOP members are people who migrated to the South from northern states, including Yankees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or