U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2010, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Outside always.
1,517 posts, read 1,291,929 times
Reputation: 1534

Advertisements

Hey this whole thread is insulting. I was born in the South and have lived here all my life. I wouldn't leave for anything. Also, I have my doctorate, have traveled extensively, and actually read books. Yes, there are some Southerners that have managed to live a well-rounded life. I also choose to live in the country. I would much rather hear the barn owls and crickets at night and count the stars than try to breathe through the smog and listen to traffic all night long. Also, riding in a truck because it doesn't get stuck and is able to get me where I want to go is my choice. You do not know how I feel about any topic. You are lumping all Southerners together in some ignorant sterotype that you probably saw on some movie. If you told me I had to move to the North, I would refuse. I would much rather live where life is good, the people are genuine, and we let people live the way they want to. Why don't you do the same and leave us alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2010, 04:42 PM
 
13,181 posts, read 7,961,187 times
Reputation: 4492
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Hey this whole thread is insulting. I was born in the South and have lived here all my life. I wouldn't leave for anything. Also, I have my doctorate, have traveled extensively, and actually read books. Yes, there are some Southerners that have managed to live a well-rounded life. I also choose to live in the country. I would much rather hear the barn owls and crickets at night and count the stars than try to breathe through the smog and listen to traffic all night long. Also, riding in a truck because it doesn't get stuck and is able to get me where I want to go is my choice. You do not know how I feel about any topic. You are lumping all Southerners together in some ignorant sterotype that you probably saw on some movie. If you told me I had to move to the North, I would refuse. I would much rather live where life is good, the people are genuine, and we let people live the way they want to. Why don't you do the same and leave us alone?
It's actually born out in statistics. Southerners have higher divorce rates, higher teenage pregnancy rates, lower incomes, lower rates of health insurance coverage, score lower on scholastic tests, and purchase more porn. They also recieve more Federal Dollars than they pay in Federal taxes.

Yet they hold themselves out as being the "true" Amercians. So moral and upstanding, and independent.

http://politicalirony.com/wp-content...7blowlarge.jpg ............click to enlarge

http://scatter.wordpress.com/2009/02...idizing-state/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 04:42 PM
 
9,820 posts, read 3,681,488 times
Reputation: 3154
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
[parody title]

Seriously how do you white rural Southern boys think you helping yourselves out? ( I'm a white southern boy myself from a rural town)

[ Fair warning: I'm going to generalize here]

You think it's a bad thing have an advanced education. You mock scientists. You cheer on any War they tell you is needed. You try and legislate morality. You try and push your religion into public schools and court houses. You bad mouth unions that have given this country the "weekend" and "overtime pay".
You're against raising the minimum wage so a man who wants to work can earn a living for his family. You're against healthcare for those less fortunate than yourselves. You actually whine when the rich must pay more of a share in taxes.

I now live in in a wealthy neighborhood and exclusive school district in the South. Do you think it's your type that is running the show here? Hardly.

Asians and Jews and transplants from the Coasts are on the rise here. They respect teachers, they value scientists, they know how important is is to have marketable skills. They don't push their religion on others. The unionized pilots here make very sure their careers and incomes are secure for their families sake. The Asian Doctors send their kids to advanced tutoring while your spending your money on a new "wave runner" or Z71.

You're killing us................You should travel to Europe and see how white boys are supposed to act......hint: They use their brains!
I am a white rural southern boy. I grew up in a place that had 1 stop sign and more cows than people. We raised most of what we ate until I was nearly 15. I think I can speak accurately to how insipid this thread is.

First we don’t mock scientists. We may take issue and mock some scientists but that is generally coupled with siding with a different scientist who disagrees with the guy we are “mocking”. I can only assume you are speaking of the Anthropogenic Global Warming debate where we White Rural Southern Boys have sided with the Roger Pielke’s of the world while taking shots at the Michael Mann’s, Keith Briffa’s and Phil Jones’ of the world. Considering the news of late, we seem to be on solid footing.

Personally my Grandfather was one of 7 brothers. 6 of the brothers became educators. 3 were principles and one was a state legislator. The 7th was a business owner and died a millionaire. There are several PhDs in my family and one of my dads first cousins worked for NASA. We don’t hate Scientists. Some of us are scientists….

When it comes to war, well my family has stepped up. I served in Desert Storm. Before that, there has been pretty fare representation going back to Revolution. Not every war but somewhere around 75% so far as I can tell. Cheer? Let me be quite frank with you. Only someone who has not been to war cheers war. Those of us who have served get that. We Southern boys (white and black) tend to know more about it than others as we are disproportionately more likely to stand up than the rest. Nobody who has seen it cheers it. What a sad small world the OP must live in to say such a thing.

As for legislating morality, let’s be honest. We are all trying to legislate our ethos. Those who want gay people to marry are trying to overturn the standard of all human history because their ethos suggests that a gay person not being allowed to marry is discriminatory.

As for Prayer in school, again, it was the ethos of a person who hated prayer that removed it from school. Madelyn Murray O'Hair sought to legislate her own morality. You turn history on its ear by suggesting we White Rural Southern Boys are doing something that hasn’t been done by the other side. AND I suspect those who lead the Christian conservative movement who are vastly more urbane and Midwestern would take exception that it is the White Rural Southern Boy that is leading this particular charge.

On the subject of Unions, well honestly I have certainly badmouthed them. It is altogether reasonable that my last dying breath will include something to my progeny about avoiding the evil of unions. However, I must add that my father in law, who was a White Rural Southern Boy before I was even a boy, is a retired union man. So your argument isn’t valid. We certainly are not homogeneous on the subject. I will say that your inability to understand the nuance of an argument is clear. Stating that one is opposed to unions today does not mean that unions have never had value. I don’t expect someone of your ilk to grasp nuance thus it is likely a waste of time to try. Nevertheless, it works like this. Unions provided many things that are and were good for humans up to a point. Then unions became less about protecting workers from unscrupulous businesses and more about gaining power for the unions themselves. In the end, the modern evolution of the union provides less safety and security for a worker and causes more hardship to businesses thus becoming a drag on the economy with no real benefit to workers. Again I am betting the nuance of the argument is lost on you. Thanks for playing though.

As for minimum wage, well honestly if a man with a family is working for minimum wage, I suspect he has had a number of wrong turns in his life. Generally speaking minimum wage is entry level, unskilled employment. If a man has a family and is at the same time an unskilled entry level worker, he either got a family before he should have, or he spent a lot of years doing nothing when he should have been working.

But on the subject the minimum wage creates an artificial bottom to an economy. It doesn’t help workers at all. When there is no minimum wage, the wage for entry level employment adjusts based on the number of workers needed. When that is set by arbitrary means, then the whole of the economy adjusts. Businesses build that into the cost of goods and service and workers gain very little if any purchasing power. Its feel good for those that hurt for the poor but wont help themselves, but it doesn’t do a blessed thing for anyone, because as the minimum wage goes up, so does the cost of everything. Purchasing power doesn’t change and those at entry level remain in exactly the same place they were in before hand.

“Against healthcare for those less fortunate than yourselves”. Really? We don’t want anyone who is less fortunate than ourselves to get to go to the doctor. We just want people to die. Really? Let’s just let that sink in for a bit. A poor 4 year old has their appendix bust and us Southern Rural White Boys want that kid to die because “they are less fortunate than us”. Let me generalize a bit. As a general rule, if you actually said that to a Southern Rural White Boy, he would likely knock your teeth right straight thru the back of your skull. And the rest of us would say you deserved what you got.

We aren’t against the less fortunate getting healthcare. Again we are at the point of nuance and anyone willing to make the above statement isn’t likely to get it but here goes. We Southern Rural White Boys simply do not believe that the government has a track record that lends itself to being able to provide better healthcare than the private sector. We Southern Rural White Boys understand that the mess we are in is more the cause of Government meddling than anything else and getting government out of the way would be a better method of insuring that those less fortunate than ourselves and ourselves for that matter get quality healthcare.

As a general rule we don’t oppose a progressive tax system. In fact we Southern Rural White Boys understand that the Bush Tax policy led to more poor people paying less taxes and a greater portion of the tax burden being paid by the wealthy. What we oppose is a tax and spend policy that rewards sloth and that retards economic growth. Keeping taxes on wealth/job creators at a proper level provides great initiative for those who produce wealth to reinvest and thus producing more jobs and greater economic growth.

I also live in a wealthy area. There are more of us White Rural Southern Boys here than any other group. However we are happy to see people of color (every hue) joining us and building a wonderful community of people who are driven to be successful. I look forward to sending my kids to our public schools because the level of competition is so very high and not succeeding is something that is just verboten. I don’t have a wave runner. I hear they are nice.

I have been to Europe. They needed us to show them how to act when some of their own were committing genocide (Kosovo). They don’t always use their brains. They do however look awful smug sipping their latté’s while sitting around in their Euro-jeans talking about who barbaric we Americans are.

As for us killing you…. Honestly die already us Southern Rural White Boys are tired of hearing jabber from those of you who’s 1 dimensional thinking gets passed off as somehow enlightened and intellectual.

As for you being a Southern Rural White Boy yourself, the rest of us want you to turn in your card. You just got kicked out of the club..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Outside always.
1,517 posts, read 1,291,929 times
Reputation: 1534
[quote=padcrasher;12502283]It's actually born out in statistics. Southerners have higher divorce rates, higher teenage pregnancy rates, lower incomes, lower rates of health insurance coverage, score lower on scholastic tests, and purchase more porn. They also recieve more Federal Dollars than they pay in Federal taxes.

Yet they hold themselves out as being the "true" Amercians. So moral and upstanding, and independent.

http://politicalirony.com/wp-content...7blowlarge.jpg ............click to enlarge

red state, blue state, welfare state, subsidizing state « scatterplot[/quote

I seriously doubt that you truly are a rural Southern man, but if you are you should be ashamed. Also, you can find anything on the web to support any claim you have. Haven't you figured that out yet? Since you claim to live in the South, you obviously need to move. I am sure your neighbors would love to know how you truly feel about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 PM
 
13,181 posts, read 7,961,187 times
Reputation: 4492
[quote=smel;12502428]
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
It's actually born out in statistics. Southerners have higher divorce rates, higher teenage pregnancy rates, lower incomes, lower rates of health insurance coverage, score lower on scholastic tests, and purchase more porn. They also recieve more Federal Dollars than they pay in Federal taxes.

Yet they hold themselves out as being the "true" Amercians. So moral and upstanding, and independent.

http://politicalirony.com/wp-content...7blowlarge.jpg ............click to enlarge

red state, blue state, welfare state, subsidizing state « scatterplot[/quote

I seriously doubt that you truly are a rural Southern man, but if you are you should be ashamed. Also, you can find anything on the web to support any claim you have. Haven't you figured that out yet? Since you claim to live in the South, you obviously need to move. I am sure your neighbors would love to know how you truly feel about them.

You're making my case for me.

I post links to sources using Government compiled data and you brush it off.

So typical of Southerners when they come across something that conflicts with their ideology. .......................They cover their eyes....Praise Jesus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
17,844 posts, read 7,881,468 times
Reputation: 5291
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, I think that you should consider that stereotyping is the first step to marginalizing a group of people. What you are doing here is trying to marginalize a wide swath of the American population. That, to me, is much more harmful than the fact that there are parts of the population that don't share your values and perspectives.


Yes i agree with your statement. He is most definitely marginalizing and stereotyping a certain group of People, this is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Outside always.
1,517 posts, read 1,291,929 times
Reputation: 1534
Padcrasher are you Southern or not? You claim to be, but you sure don't act like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Outside always.
1,517 posts, read 1,291,929 times
Reputation: 1534
Check out the statistics at www.statemasters.com , and you might just be surprised. Also, we have lower incomes because our cost of living is lower. If you truly live in the South, you already know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 06:09 PM
 
9,334 posts, read 3,293,030 times
Reputation: 2300
Last time I checked New Mexico, Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Maine, and Hawaii were not Southern States

Per Federal Tax Dollars paid by State, how many does each State get back:
New Mexico $2.03
Mississippi $2.02
Alaska $1.84
Louisiana $1.78
West Virginia $1.76
North Dakota $1.68
Alabama $1.66
South Dakota $1.53
Kentucky $1.51
Virginia $1.51
Montana $1.47
Hawaii $1.44
Maine $1.41

So actually it's more Northern and Western States in top positions, than Southern States 7/13. In fact Palin's Independent state of Alaska is in the No. 3 spot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2010, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Terra firma
1,374 posts, read 815,788 times
Reputation: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
[parody title]

Seriously how do you white rural Southern boys think you helping yourselves out? ( I'm a white southern boy myself from a rural town)

[ Fair warning: I'm going to generalize here]

You think it's a bad thing have an advanced education. You mock scientists. You cheer on any War they tell you is needed. You try and legislate morality. You try and push your religion into public schools and court houses. You bad mouth unions that have given this country the "weekend" and "overtime pay".
You're against raising the minimum wage so a man who wants to work can earn a living for his family. You're against healthcare for those less fortunate than yourselves. You actually whine when the rich must pay more of a share in taxes.

I now live in in a wealthy neighborhood and exclusive school district in the South. Do you think it's your type that is running the show here? Hardly.

Asians and Jews and transplants from the Coasts are on the rise here. They respect teachers, they value scientists, they know how important is is to have marketable skills. They don't push their religion on others. The unionized pilots here make very sure their careers and incomes are secure for their families sake. The Asian Doctors send their kids to advanced tutoring while your spending your money on a new "wave runner" or Z71.

You're killing us................You should travel to Europe and see how white boys are supposed to act......hint: They use their brains!
I grew up in DFW, TX which is technically the South, but has a little bit of a different flavor from the Deep South. Most of our major city areas are quite progressive and Austin is one of the most progressive cities in the nation.

However, I moved to Atlanta, GA in order to keep my job and I was amazed at how irrational, backwards, and self defeating the people were. Padcrasher's above description is a bit of an exaggerated caricature, but it's not far off the mark.

Bottom line: I'm glad to be back in The Lone Star State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top