U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,312 posts, read 50,576,723 times
Reputation: 60245

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Do you even know what causes someone to grow up gay? It is most common from a family where there is no father around. As in no male role-model. This is FAR more common in urban areas than rural areas.

There has been an slow movement of people from the country to the cities for more than 100 years. And it has been very dramatic in recent years. That goes for homosexuals and non-homosexuals alike.
Holy cow, I can't believe someone actually wrote that.

I WILL, however, assume that this is the twisted view of one person and not representative of the entire South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2009, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Alvarado, TX
2,914 posts, read 4,156,735 times
Reputation: 794
Strange how culture talks soon become an opportunity for Yankees, liberals, west-coasters and other reprobates to bash the South. While I currently live in a marginally southern state (Texas), when the yakking starts up I'm reminded of a statement I once heard. Do you know the difference between Yankees and hemorrhoids? They both come down for a while, raise hell with their benefactors, cause much pain and aggravation, but at least eventually the hemorrhoids go back up. I can insert other terms for Yankees, like liberals, west-coasters, democrats, etc., but I usually don't have to. The significance is understood. The only "ignorant" ones in this discussion are the ones who have never lived in the South, have no family in the South, or who have been liberalized by their so-called educations outside the South. More power to ya. Read my byline, it is exactly how I feel. So there. Pffffffffffft!

Last edited by Delta Planter; 11-20-2009 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:03 PM
 
10,543 posts, read 11,686,362 times
Reputation: 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
We also said rural areas which are located all over the United States and not just the South. We also implicated facets of African American culture namely the Thug (not hip hop) culture that is bringing them down. It would just be dishonest, if we denied this type of thinking is predominant in the South and rural areas all over the United States. I find it odd that you don't make the same arguments on threads that indict all Muslims as potential terrorists. You want political correctness to apply to this topic yet it has no place when describing Muslims? Interesting
I've never said all Muslims are terrorists,and I usually avoid those threads because they're stupid. This one is just as stupid, but as a white southerner, this thread applies more to me and gets my response. For reference though, please check this thread that I started. Giving Credit Where It's Due
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:04 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 16,848,438 times
Reputation: 9878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Personal study. High IQ. What do they call doctors that graduate in the bottom 10 percent of their class?

Doctor.

Doesn't make them "smart" because they were able to squeak by. Now, if they graduated with a 4.0, that shows that they can parrot back information that they've been taught, for the most part. Multiple choice tests mean anything to you?
And what you do call a class of 120 people with 4.0 college GPA's ....a medical school class! The worst person in a medical school class is still smarter than 99% of the population. I would like to see you take a medical school multiple choice exam. I doubt you would get 40% of the questions correct just on guessing alone. Medical school multiple choice exams don't conveniently have 4 choices. Many of them have A B C D E F G H I J K...I'm being serious. Also, they purposefully have to make the material hard to distinguish the class so the competition is insane. And no, we don't "parrot back" information. If that was the case, we would all get 90% because we can all memorize and regurgitate information. How do you think we got 4.0's in college while studying less than guys like you who got 2.7 GPA's. These exams require analysis and critical thinking. They are not easy

And "personal study" is comical. The good ole boys always claim that when they were not intelligent enough to pursue and finish college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:05 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,846,784 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
LOL! Stand by for Ruffles and Flourishes for the ossifer and gentleman!

You, of all people, should know military service teaches far more than just following orders, Shipmate (hm, I wonder if that is a good title?) It also teaches self-respect, respect for others, and gives one the ability to constructively, if it is needed, teach others in an easier way of doing a task. But, I digress.
Every one of those things you mentioned was about following (or giving in the case of us Officers) orders.

My subordinates were mostly just bodies without brains who would blindly follow any order given. While it's good to be able to follow orders, most of those kids couldn't make a decision or come up with a solution to a problem when needed. They don't learn that.

And plus, aren't respect and self-respect supposed to be taught by parents? And don't people train to be teachers at colleges?

Again, you display the ignorance that just proves the points being made here.

Plus, you disrespect me...ossifer is a very disrespectful thing to say and you'd be doing a lot of pushups (my favorite form of punishment) if you ever called me that when I was in the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:09 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,846,784 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Personal study. High IQ. What do they call doctors that graduate in the bottom 10 percent of their class?

Doctor.

Doesn't make them "smart" because they were able to squeak by. Now, if they graduated with a 4.0, that shows that they can parrot back information that they've been taught, for the most part. Multiple choice tests mean anything to you?
What do you call a doctor who finished in the bottom 10% of his class? Someone who still graduated college, who still did well enough on the MCATs to get into medical school, who studied enough in medical school to graduate, and who did well enough in their residency to become a doctor.

Again...IGNORANCE.

Wow.

They are certainly smarter than some person who didn't go to college, didn't take the medical boards, didn't go to medical school, didn't graduate from medical school, didn't have a residency...

Who would you trust to diagnose your illness, a doctor who was at the bottom of his class, or a guy who couldn't even get into college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,290,446 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
And what you do call a class of 120 people with 4.0 college GPA's ....a medical school class! The worst person in a medical school class is still smarter than 99% of the population. I would like to see you take a medical school multiple choice exam. I doubt you would get 40% of the questions correct just on guessing alone. Medical school multiple choice exams don't conveniently have 4 choices. Many of them have A B C D E F G H I J K...I'm being serious. Also, they purposefully have to make the material hard to distinguish the class so the competition is insane. And no, we don't "parrot back" information. If that was the case, we would all get 90% because we can all memorize and regurgitate information. How do you think we got 4.0's in college while studying less than guys like you who got 2.7 GPA's. These exams require analysis and critical thinking. They are not easy

And "personal study" is comical. The good ole boys always claim that when they were not intelligent enough to pursue and finish college.


Not rich enough, actually. I'm more than happy to take any test you care to challenge me on. Ever take an EA test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,290,446 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
What do you call a doctor who finished in the bottom 10% of his class? Someone who still graduated college, who still did well enough on the MCATs to get into medical school, who studied enough in medical school to graduate, and who did well enough in their residency to become a doctor.

Again...IGNORANCE.

Wow.

They are certainly smarter than some person who didn't go to college, didn't take the medical boards, didn't go to medical school, didn't graduate from medical school, didn't have a residency...

Who would you trust to diagnose your illness, a doctor who was at the bottom of his class, or a guy who couldn't even get into college?
Hell, I don't trust doctors...period. Common sense seems to work well enough for me. And how many geniuses are out there who didn't "live up to their potential"? You don't know who might be smarter than you. Could be the guy pumping your gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:20 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,846,784 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Hell, I don't trust doctors...period. Common sense seems to work well enough for me.
Don't get me wrong, I haven't been to a doctor in at least 18 months, probably more. But if I had a serious problem with my body, I wouldn't go see my buddy Jim-Bob at Home Depot and ask him to tell me what's wrong...I'd see someone who trained specifically to diagnose and treat my problem.

Quote:
And how many geniuses are out there who didn't "live up to their potential"? You don't know who might be smarter than you.
Not living up to one's potential shows that the person is flawed. They may have intellectual capacity, but they failed to live up to those expectations for a reason...

Quote:
Could be the guy pumping your gas.
I pump my own gas...this ain't Jersey or Oregon where we get our gas pumped...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2009, 01:24 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 16,848,438 times
Reputation: 9878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not rich enough, actually. I'm more than happy to take any test you care to challenge me on. Ever take an EA test?
That's a weak excuse! I had guys in my class who were in their late 30's and early 40's who had kids, wives who didn't work and nearly 400K in loans! I know others who joined the military. There are plenty of financial resources to those who are intelligent enough to find and pursue them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top