Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
And it's very likely the extension agent is trustworthy because he is one of you. He's white like you. He lives in the Country like you. It has little to do with his credentials. I'm sure he's a good ole boy.

This is the problem. RSW's let cultural divides get in the way of making rational decisions.
You really have no clue, do you ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 09:50 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
It does bother me when people make fun of higher education. Higher education means (generally) a broader scope. It can demystify foreigners, and "bubbas" alike.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:51 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
[parody title]

Seriously how do you white rural Southern boys think you helping yourselves out? ( I'm a white southern boy myself from a rural town)

[ Fair warning: I'm going to generalize here]

You think it's a bad thing have an advanced education. You mock scientists. You cheer on any War they tell you is needed. You try and legislate morality. You try and push your religion into public schools and court houses. You bad mouth unions that have given this country the "weekend" and "overtime pay".
You're against raising the minimum wage so a man who wants to work can earn a living for his family. You're against healthcare for those less fortunate than yourselves. You actually whine when the rich must pay more of a share in taxes.
So pretty much, this freedom of speech thing and expressing their political and social viewpoints is destroying the white culture.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:53 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
You know what. I wrote at the beginning of this thread.

"fair warning: I going to generalize here"

Are any of you good ole boys on the "black thug culture is destroying the black race" thread decrying the sterotyping over there???

Of course not! You're hypocrites as well!

Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
[parody title]

Seriously how do you white rural Southern boys think you helping yourselves out? ( I'm a white southern boy myself from a rural town)

[ Fair warning: I'm going to generalize here]

You think it's a bad thing have an advanced education. You mock scientists. You cheer on any War they tell you is needed. You try and legislate morality. You try and push your religion into public schools and court houses. You bad mouth unions that have given this country the "weekend" and "overtime pay".
You're against raising the minimum wage so a man who wants to work can earn a living for his family. You're against healthcare for those less fortunate than yourselves. You actually whine when the rich must pay more of a share in taxes.

I now live in in a wealthy neighborhood and exclusive school district in the South. Do you think it's your type that is running the show here? Hardly.

Asians and Jews and transplants from the Coasts are on the rise here. They respect teachers, they value scientists, they know how important is is to have marketable skills. They don't push their religion on others. The unionized pilots here make very sure their careers and incomes are secure for their families sake. The Asian Doctors send their kids to advanced tutoring while your spending your money on a new "wave runner" or Z71.

You're killing us................You should travel to Europe and see how white boys are supposed to act......hint: They use their brains!
You summed it up quite well & I can't add anything else but agree with the sad reality that ignorance is alive & well in the South like no other region of the nation.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:

Are any of you good ole boys on the "black thug culture is destroying the black race" thread decrying the sterotyping over there???

You, the OP of this thread calling us hypocrites ??
The narrow minded never look beyond their own nose.

I'm done with this thread.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:00 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A lot of the rural folks I know have great respect for the Extension agents and their knowledge of crop science and animal science. Far cry from the stereotype you describe.
This is just a PC excuse. Those stereotypes are real. Whites in rural areas and the South have to take responsibility for their image. Let me give you an example. I'm a physician. When I finished training, we were getting a ton of recruiting mail and phone calls. Any physician can tell you, the overwhelming majority(over 90%) of these recruiting calls were from rural areas and large cities in the South. Doctors don't want to live there. Practices and hospitals have to pay a recruiter 50K just to hire a doctor in the rural areas and Southern cities. On the coasts, it's saturated with physicians and you will make less money and it will hard to find a job. The most educated people don't want to live in the South and rural areas. That's telling! And that has a lot to do with Rural and Southern areas' reputation for being racist, xenophobic, bigoted, not demonstrating a commitment to education, and being religiously fundamental.

I'm a Republican and a Conservative but I don't relate to the White Rural and Southern Republican Conservatives and neither do any of my conservative constituents from large metros outside the South. The whites in large cities don't relate or identify with the whites in rural and Southern cities.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:01 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You, the OP of this thread calling us hypocrites ??
The narrow minded never look beyond their own nose.

I'm done with this thread.
I can understand your reaction because it hurts when the truth is so graphically articulated. I get angry when people attack California but I know some of the criticisms are true [ex: "worse smog in the nation"]. The bad rap the South gets is not because of the white people but the dumb people that seem to have a weird influence. It's only natural that people mock stupidity.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:02 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:

Actually, ignoring a patently ridiculous thread rather than commenting on it doesn't necessarily equate to hypocrisy.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:07 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
It does bother me when people make fun of higher education. Higher education means (generally) a broader scope. It can demystify foreigners, and "bubbas" alike.
Agreed! Beck, Hannity and Rush lack college degrees and a formal education and Southern and rural residents will defend them by belittling higher education and that it isn't needed to discuss politics and major issues affecting our society. In the South and rural areas, it seems like a higher education is put down and it shouldn't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies