Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 02:13 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
These people aren't Christians!
Funny but you sound like the Muslims who say terrorists aren't Muslims. So these people are not Christians but all terrorists are Muslims. Interesting. I love the double standard and hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 02:43 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Evangelicals won't claim WBC either.
WBC is the village idiot of the Christian faith. As long as WBC is around, everyone else can claim to be "moderate".

Old 11-20-2009, 03:01 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I strongly suspect the whole thing is an act and he's a closet democratic operative. He has ties to Al Gore.
he's not exactly in the closet..

Quote:
Phelps has run in various Kansas Democratic Party primaries five times, but has never won. These included races for governor in 1990, 1994, and 1998, receiving about 15 percent of the vote in 1998.[58] In the 1992 Democratic Party primary for U.S. Senate, Phelps received 31 percent of the vote.[59] Phelps ran for mayor of Topeka in 1993[60] and 1997.[61]

Old 11-20-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
WBC is the village idiot of the Christian faith. As long as WBC is around, everyone else can claim to be "moderate".
Antisemitism isn't unique to WBC. As I said earlier, the most famous and well reputed Baptist minister Reverend Billy Graham was recorded making anti-semitic remarks with President Nixon on the phone. Although I think it's less acceptable to make antisemitic remarks as it once was for Evangelicals, I think many of them still don't think highly of the Jewish faith as they hold Jews responsible for the death of Jesus and discredit it because it doesn't accept the New Testament.

In Nixon tapes, Billy Graham refers to 'synagogue of Satan' - USATODAY.com

Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Antisemitism isn't unique to WBC. As I said earlier, the most famous and well reputed Baptist minister Reverend Billy Graham was recorded making anti-semitic remarks with President Nixon on the phone. Although I think it's less acceptable to make antisemitic remarks as it once was for Evangelicals, I think many of them still don't think highly of the Jewish faith as they hold Jews responsible for the death of Jesus and discredit it because it doesn't accept the New Testament.

In Nixon tapes, Billy Graham refers to 'synagogue of Satan' - USATODAY.com
I'm fully aware of Graham's comments. They don't change what I said.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I'm fully aware of Graham's comments. They don't change what I said.
So when the most famous and reputable Baptist minister and leader made anti-semitic remarks, you still feel these views are limited to WBC? Interesting

Old 11-20-2009, 03:19 PM

More evidence of Baptists trying to convert or attack Jews

In 1980, SBC(Southern Baptist Convention) president Bailey Smith uttered his famous quote, "God Almighty does not hear the prayers of a Jew."

In 1996 the SBC passed a resolution calling on the denomination to "direct our energies and resources toward the proclamation of the gospel to the Jewish people," and hired a full-time home missionary to Jewish people in the U.S.

A 1999 prayer guide by the International Board sought conversion of Jews to Christianity during their High Holy Days, an initiative labeled "offensive and disrespectful" by Jewish leaders.

As recently as 2003, Jewish leaders criticized a Southern Baptist seminary president for using an analogy comparing the mandate to evangelize Jews to a surgeon's responsibility to inform a patient about the presence of a "deadly tumor."

Group Asks Southern Baptists to Stop Efforts to Convert Jews on EthicsDaily.com

Old 11-20-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
So when the most famous and reputable Baptist minister and leader made anti-semitic remarks, you still feel these views are limited to WBC? Interesting
How in the world did you get that out of what I said????

Old 11-20-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
How in the world did you get that out of what I said????
You said above: "WBC is the village idiot of the Christian faith" which implies these types of views are exclusive to WBC. Your words not mine. When Billy Graham and Bailey Smith, a former president of the Southern Baptist Convention both made anti-semitic remarks, I very seriously doubt this type of idiocy is limited to WBC.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
You said above: "WBC is the village idiot of the Christian faith" which implies these types of views are exclusive to WBC. Your words not mine. When Billy Graham and Bailey Smith, a former president of the Southern Baptist Convention both made anti-semitic remarks, I very seriously doubt this type of idiocy is limited to WBC.
Apparently you aren't aware of the meaing of the term "village idiot" or the degree of idiocy of WBC. Why on earth you are focused on anti-semetic part of WBC as the only proof of their idiocy escapes me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies