Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You are making way too much sense here for people who don't want to listen to reason.

Notice areas like Galeveston, Gulfport, etc that have been wiped out had people roll up their sleves and get back to rebuilding.

The area in NO that is below sea level should be turned into one big park.
Same with South Florida after Andrew. No crying there..they just "got to it" and got their homes rebuilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 06:32 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Same with South Florida after Andrew. No crying there..they just "got to it" and got their homes rebuilt.
I had a client that worked at a church in Shreveport during Katrina feeding & clothing people as they left NO. The people coming through she reported were some of the most unappreciative they had ever helped.

There were no "Thanks You's" just "What are you going to do for me next". Just a continuation of the welfare generations that have grown dependent on govt services.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:37 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Your Commander in Chief cannot operate in a state unless requested by the Governor of that state. It would be in violation of Posse Comitatus Act.
not sure but I thought that act was more about our military acting as police. this is not about policing the area it is the humanitarian aspect of this. besides we have presidents do things all the time that do not follow the proper channels. we do covert things as well. if this was one time for a president to take the bull by the horns and use his power it was then. one logistics officer could of handled the job better than bush did if they had the same power behind their titles .

Old 11-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
not sure but I thought that act was more about our military acting as police. this is not about policing the area it is the humanitarian aspect of this. besides we have presidents do things all the time that do not follow the proper channels. we do covert things as well. if this was one time for a president to take the bull by the horns and use his power it was then. one logistics officer could of handled the job better than bush did if they had the same power behind their titles .
Bush had his hands tied until the state asked for help.
In 2006 Bush asked Congress to revise the laws for emergencies.
It was signed in Oct. 2006 in the Defense Bill giving the President power to use the armed forces in a state during an emergency.
Then in 2008 it was totally repealed.

So you have posse comitatus Act and Insurrection Act.
BTW..the Governor has the authority to deploy the National Guard of a state.

Posse Comitatus Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Insurrection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a good timline detailing who did what. Enough blame to go all around. I'm not partial to any of them..they were all at fault here.
But we need to keep the Fed separate from the States..it was the lack of cooperation between them that made Katrina more of a disaster than it had to be. All three of them ignored the warnings.

TPM Hurricane Katrina Timeline

Old 11-21-2009, 08:58 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Bush had his hands tied until the state asked for help.
The freerepublic article says Bush called Blanco on Aug 26 -- and all the other claims -- I dont see backup for them anywhere, and the article doesnt give sources.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:12 PM

happy tex, sorry I don't buy that our president had his hands tied. even if he did. powerful people make phone calls and things happen. if he had to do it covertly so be it, it still stands he did squat little to take charge and make things better. bush could have easily called the gov. of NO and said I am sending help,? I agree there is enough blame to be past around to lots of agencies...but our president was the head cheese and he did a terrible job getting his people to do theri jobs.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:14 PM

Found this..it was politics.
Nagin-Repub
Blanco-Dem
Bush-Repub

Many Evacuated, but Thousands Still Waiting - washingtonpost.com

snippet:
"Behind the scenes, a power struggle emerged, as federal officials tried to wrest authority from Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D). Shortly before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans, a source within the state's emergency operations center said Saturday. The administration sought unified control over all local police and state National Guard units reporting to the governor. Louisiana officials rejected the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. Some officials in the state suspected a political motive behind the request."

Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
happy tex, sorry I don't buy that our president had his hands tied. even if he did. powerful people make phone calls and things happen. if he had to do it covertly so be it, it still stands he did squat little to take charge and make things better. bush could have easily called the gov. of NO and said I am sending help,? I agree there is enough blame to be past around to lots of agencies...but our president was the head cheese and he did a terrible job getting his people to do theri jobs.
Those are the laws of our land to protect state's rights. If the 3 idiots in charge (Nagin-Blanco-Bush) dropped their partisan attitudes maybe help would have gotten there earlier. That's a guess though on my part.

Don't you all remember all the TV interviews with everyone blaming everyone else ? I do remember Nagin all over the press and he was pretty livid too.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The freerepublic article says Bush called Blanco on Aug 26 -- and all the other claims -- I dont see backup for them anywhere, and the article doesnt give sources.
Google..but several of the articles that google found are no longer available on the sites. I do recall the fingerpointing though all over the news.
Eventually Bush took the hit for the Fed response and Blanco took the hit for the State reponse. I don't recall if Nagin took blame for the City's response.

In times of national emergency..politics should be thrown out the window and not given a second thought. At that point it should be one American dealing with another American to help Americans.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Those are the laws of our land to protect state's rights. If the 3 idiots in charge (Nagin-Blanco-Bush) dropped their partisan attitudes maybe help would have gotten there earlier. That's a guess though on my part.

Don't you all remember all the TV interviews with everyone blaming everyone else ? I do remember Nagin all over the press and he was pretty livid too.
I would say your guess is spot on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies