Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 01:47 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times

Advertisements

The fact is after an evacuation order is given, people need to get out of the city along evacuation routes ASAP. The problem with NOLA is that not everyone had a means of transportation, which is understandable being a larger city where a personal vehicle is not always necessary. Nevermind the fact that alternate options exist, such as buses or Amtrak. And while buses were in fact sent after the evacuation order was given, most of them ended up leaving the city at half or a quarter of their capacity due to lack of riders at the evacuation points... Even when such orders to evacuate are issued, a lot of people refuse to leave. This of course is not limited to NOLA..

The second issue is being able to accurately judge the impact a hurricane will have. Anyone remember the hurricane a couple years ago that was to hit NOLA again? It was called 'the mother of all storms' yet was nothing more than a below average occurrence. Several trains and hundreds of buses were sent to evacuate people, yet the storm was mild. The same was said for Katrina.. There is no way to have known the levees were going to fail and the city was going to be flooded.

And before anyone asks, yes I have lived in a hurricane prone area (Charleston, SC) for many years, and also experienced several floods further inland that were a result of tropical storms or hurricanes. I can understand the feeling that 'it is just another storm' that many NOLA residents probably had before Katrina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 01:50 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I already conceded that point, followed by a request to explain your meaning. You failed to provide an explanation, which in itself, tells me what your motivation was. Thank you again.

Neither will I.
Sorry, but you didn't concede squat. As usual, you simply yammered on glossing over the fact you injected race into my statement when it never existed in the first place then tried to backup your "interpretation" with a bunch of lame questions that didn't ever warrant a response.

If that constitutes a win in your book....congrats.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:52 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
As my African friends always ask: "Do they not have legs?"
some in fact did not have "legs" many were in wheelchairs

Old 11-21-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Hmm so every time the Miss River floods all those fools who live right next to the river should sue because the corps didn't do their job to control the river? BS eh? If I lived under the ocean and was told for the last thirty years a direct hit from a hurrican would flood the city I sure as hell woulda got out. I guess you would be sitting there like the rest of the fools waving at the coast guard to pick you up off your roof. Hey isn't the coast guard one of those evil fed agencies? Maybe the fools should sue them too for being too rough when they tossed em in the basket.

Oh wait according to Farrakhan Bush blew up the levies so maybe he'll testify and all this will go away.
I am not so stupid as to think that the corp can control the weather. please understand what I am saying. should I say it slower? the corp knew the levees would break, sometime when a storm hit. they did not address the problem in a timely manner. so if the corp knows the golden gate bridge has a problem and they just don't address it, years later many people die because of a failure...you think it isn't an outrage?

government screws up they should be help accountable. to bad mouth the coast guard as an evil agency is what, your way of throwing up a smoke screen? farrakan please, stay on point.

wanna talk about bush? he was the head man at the time wasn't he? when the "main stream media" can get into the thick of disaster to report that people have no water for days on end. old people are dying in the streets for days on end and the government hasn't got there yet. incompetence at it's finest! I have never been a commander in chief, but even I could have figured out how to get water to these people and help them to safety faster than bush did.

I have no problem saying when our government screwed up you want to be an apologist or defend the handling of katrina?

Old 11-21-2009, 02:45 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
some in fact did not have "legs" many were in wheelchairs
So, only those in wheelchairs were left behind. I feel much better about the situation now.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:49 PM

346 posts, read 407,872 times
Your true Bush hatred comes to the forefront like I knew the whole time. Your beloved msm did nothing but lie the whole time. Then you got that idiot Sean Penn tossing a rowboat into the water and sinking. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Well no maybe this is...........

http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/funny/katrina-bush-bread.jpg (broken link)

Is it the governments fault when I see on the old doplar radar that a tornado is heading my way in the next half hour and decide to sit out on the porch? Those people had food and water just not steak dinners like they wanted. YOU are responsible for you and yours. Maybe you can show me where in the Constitution it says the govermnet has to build levees for fools who want to live under the ocean.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:51 PM

346 posts, read 407,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
So, only those in wheelchairs were left behind. I feel much better about the situation now.
Maybe this will help em out next time.

http://www.ncaonline.org/files/nca_images/product_directory_images/mobi-chair.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-21-2009, 02:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
wanna talk about bush? he was the head man at the time wasn't he? when the "main stream media" can get into the thick of disaster to report that people have no water for days on end. old people are dying in the streets for days on end and the government hasn't got there yet. incompetence at it's finest! I have never been a commander in chief, but even I could have figured out how to get water to these people and help them to safety faster than bush did.

I have no problem saying when our government screwed up you want to be an apologist or defend the handling of katrina?
It certainly was...the Mayor of NO, the Governor of LA and the President of the US all pointing fingers at each other.

When the Walmart trucks of water got there before FEMA, I knew that the government should not be on anyone's list of who will help them.

Katrina should have been a wake up call to every American citizen..the government is NOT there to help when you need them. It will be every man for himself.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It certainly was...the Mayor of NO, the Governor of LA and the President of the US all pointing fingers at each other.

When the Walmart trucks of water got there before FEMA, I knew that the government should not be on anyone's list of who will help them.

Katrina should have been a wake up call to every American citizen..the government is NOT there to help when you need them. It will be every man for himself.
yep and in the state of confusion that was happening, I want my commander in chief to cut through the crap and get it done. this was horrible and there was no excuse for the failure to act by our president

Old 11-21-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Your true Bush hatred comes to the forefront like I knew the whole time. Your beloved msm did nothing but lie the whole time. Then you got that idiot Sean Penn tossing a rowboat into the water and sinking. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Well no maybe this is...........

Is it the governments fault when I see on the old doplar radar that a tornado is heading my way in the next half hour and decide to sit out on the porch? Those people had food and water just not steak dinners like they wanted. YOU are responsible for you and yours. Maybe you can show me where in the Constitution it says the govermnet has to build levees for fools who want to live under the ocean.
if you are refering to me as a true bush hater you would be wrong. I am a democrat but do not hate bush at all. do I think he was a good president, no. do I think he was all bad, no. do I think he lacks humanity, yes in some cases I do.

are you suggesting that the images we saw on tv, from the media was false?

you want to be the type of person that could care less about people then so be. by the way your not so funny photo of a beach recreation chair with wheels in reference to people in real wheelchairs shows a more than a lack of sensitivity. obviously you have no idea about the challenges of living in a wheel chair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies