U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:24 AM

1,740 posts, read 2,936,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
No different than the conservatives who shout down rational talk about health care or who require books be taken out of school libraries or who refuse to allow students to learn about gay marriage, same sex attraction, birth control and on and on. But let's not forget Alabama State Senator (GOP) Allen who wanted to ban Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote, Gore Vidal, Alice Walker and even some Shakespeare from college libraries. I guess next will be gay composers, artists and on and on.

All kidding aside, this poster can't be serious. The typical liberal cares nothing about the rights of ALL individuals, only those who hold the same misinformed beliefs. What I don't understand is why he omitted J.D. Sallinger from his list of those he says we conservatives want to have banned. As for me, as a high school English teacher, I covered some of these writers, but the mostly ultra-liberal homophobes on the school board — all card-carrying NEA commies — wouldn't allow all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 07:39 AM

30,149 posts, read 15,723,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Arianna Huffington Says Glenn Beck Should Be Excluded from Freedom of Speech, liberal blog co-founder likens popular Fox host’s show to shouting ‘fire in a crowded theater.’

Despite what you think of the man and his opinions, you can always turn the channel.

I hate to think this is actually how the typical lefty feels about Beck/First Amendment. Would any on the left like to comment?

Huffington Says Glenn Beck Should Be Excluded from Freedom of Speech (http://www.cultureandmediainstitute.org/articles/2009/20091120103645.aspx - broken link)
It's a pretty good idea to shout "fire" when there is a fire.

We have a fire. Our "house" is burning down, and it's burning fast.

Glenn Beck isn't the only person who is exposing the leftist agenda and the radicals that are currently running our government. There are many others; but, if you only get your news from the "Huffington Post", CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, CBS, etc, you wouldn't know that I suppose. They all get their news from one source: AP

No wonder they are all alike.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:44 AM

392 posts, read 943,106 times
I am one of the biggest advocates of freedom of speech you will ever find. In fact, I'm intimately involved in a huge case about it right now. but one thing people often confuse is being critical of what another says. You have a right as an American to speak your mind, , freedom of expression, freedom to create, freedom to protest, without the government shutting you up. But this does not mean others cannot be critical of you, tell you off, or get in your face for what you state.

You have a right to say stupid things, and I have a right to tell you what I think about the stupid things you say. In doing so, I am not violating your right to freedom of speech. People often confuse this. You will always be judged for the things you express, this is not the same as taking away your rights to say it.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:16 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,111,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It's a pretty good idea to shout "fire" when there is a fire.

We have a fire. Our "house" is burning down, and it's burning fast.

Glenn Beck isn't the only person who is exposing the leftist agenda and the radicals that are currently running our government. There are many others; but, if you only get your news from the "Huffington Post", CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, CBS, etc, you wouldn't know that I suppose. They all get their news from one source: AP

No wonder they are all alike.
Nonsense!

Ariana Huffington expressing her opinion of Beck's fear mongering and attention-whoring is no threat to his freedom of speech. Just as Beck is free to say outrageous things, Huffington has the same freedom to criticize those rantings.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:24 AM

3,704 posts, read 4,150,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
I am one of the biggest advocates of freedom of speech you will ever find. In fact, I'm intimately involved in a huge case about it right now. but one thing people often confuse is being critical of what another says. You have a right as an American to speak your mind, , freedom of expression, freedom to create, freedom to protest, without the government shutting you up. But this does not mean others cannot be critical of you, tell you off, or get in your face for what you state.

You have a right to say stupid things, and I have a right to tell you what I think about the stupid things you say. In doing so, I am not violating your right to freedom of speech. People often confuse this. You will always be judged for the things you express, this is not the same as taking away your rights to say it.
I think her comment goes beyond mere criticism. I think Beck is a fool and bad for political discourse. I remember watching him "debate" the leader of the CPUSA. Now, my title is not ironic, I hate Commies. Now, Beck spent the entire "interview" yelling at the guy and never let him say more than two sentences. It actually made me feel sympathetic to the scumbag, instead of letting him spout his discredited garbage, Beck felt it would be better to yell and sarcastically call him "comrade".

Back to my opening sentence. She specifically compared Beck's show to shouting "fire in a crowded theater". That metaphor is used by people as an example of a type of speech which is directly dangerous (thus should be outlawed). It makes her statement much more ominous if you see it in that light.

And in all fairness, I say the same thing when Ann Coulter or any talking head accuses to critics of the War on Terror as treasonous. Because we all know what the punishment for treason is in virtually all countries (even ones that otherwise don't have the death penalty)...

Old 11-21-2009, 10:50 AM

19,183 posts, read 27,779,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
Yes the left hates free speech. That's common knowledge.
Well, it is the right that is so fond of hate speech and other abuses of the right of free speech. All rights come with limiting responsibilities attached. It's common knowledge that right-wingers are far less likely than most to be willing to live up to those responsbilities.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:56 AM

19,183 posts, read 27,779,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
They all get their news from one source: AP. No wonder they are all alike.
And you get all your news from one source: the vivid imagination of Glenn Beck. Fact and reason, be damned. If Beck can imagine it out of thin air, why, it must be true...

Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,552,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
You just don't understand, is all.

America's economy wasn't trashed by a GOP congress and administration that deregulated Wall St after being paid off handsomely by lobbyists. America wasn't plunged into debt by a GOP congress and administration that borrowed a trillion dollars from China to give billionaires in America big tax breaks. America's employment wasn't slashed by a GOP congress and administration that did everything they could to close down American factories to ship those jobs to China. America's military wasn't stretched thin by two mismanaged Middle East quagmires, one of which was totally unnecessary.

No...

None of these problems existed prior to January 20th.

America is in serious trouble for one reason and one reason only: the right wing has lost an election! All hands to battle stations!
i understand too well and remember very well. pee wee herman would whine less when confronted with misdeeds clearly his own.remember me??i was standing next to you when you were cheering for bush and his decisions when we started the downward roller coaster ride. remember what you said when i stood up among my brothers to express my concern, shut up sit down and respect the office.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:53 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,166,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Stop. You know if you tilt to the right or left in the dichotomy of politics.
And what of those like me, who 'tilts' one way on some issues and the other way on some other issues? Or is everyone always 'automatically' one or the other simply because they happen to agree or disagree with you? In this case I think Ms Huffington is wrong. As I've stated before, free speech is not in place merely for the speech with which everyone agrees; it also covers that with which anyone (or everyone) disagrees.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:57 AM

29,011 posts, read 19,056,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
No different than the conservatives who shout down rational talk about health care or who require books be taken out of school libraries or who refuse to allow students to learn about gay marriage, same sex attraction, birth control and on and on. But let's not forget Alabama State Senator (GOP) Allen who wanted to ban Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote, Gore Vidal, Alice Walker and even some Shakespeare from college libraries. I guess next will be gay composers, artists and on and on.

"who require books be taken out of school libraries"

Do you mean books like the Bible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies