Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:05 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,269,911 times

Advertisements

I see the glass as 95% empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 07:05 PM

76,989 posts, read 47,311,479 times
Optimist of course. The fiscal doomsday mongering is starting to tire me. I am confident that the economy will begin to grow, and that makes the debt more affordable. I don't care if the debt is 100 trillion, if our economy was 200 trillion. After all, the only thing that counts is the affordability of the debt, not the size of the balance. Therefore I think the admin is on right track focusing on growing the economy as opposed to trying to pay off the debt.

GDP growth is the key, and next year, and in years to come we will see dramatic growth, and it will make the debt affordable, and the whole country will be cruising again. FOX, Glenn Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh etc just don't get it. They think the balance of the debt is the only important ingredient, and they just don't get it that if the economy grows enough, the debt burden shrinks even if the balance stayed the same. And of course when they don't get it, then how could any of their followers get it? They don't get it and their comments on this very forum is proof of it.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:07 PM

615 posts, read 1,689,152 times
I'm pessimisticly optomistic. See if you can make sense of that ;-)

Old 11-20-2009, 07:14 PM

76,989 posts, read 47,311,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
I'm pessimisticly optomistic. See if you can make sense of that ;-)
You should settle for 'sceptical optimist'?

Old 11-20-2009, 07:14 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,618,062 times
I'll let you know tomorrow after the senate votes to bring the health care reform bill to the floor. If it passes then yes, I'm optimistic about the future. If it doesn't, then I'm pessimistic about having to deal with the same political grid lock we've been facing since the repubs were swept out of power and decided to fight the current government tooth and nail.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,728,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Optimist of course. The fiscal doomsday mongering is starting to tire me. I am confident that the economy will begin to grow, and that makes the debt more affordable. I don't care if the debt is 100 trillion, if our economy was 200 trillion. After all, the only thing that counts is the affordability of the debt, not the size of the balance. Therefore I think the admin is on right track focusing on growing the economy as opposed to trying to pay off the debt.

GDP growth is the key, and next year, and in years to come we will see dramatic growth, and it will make the debt affordable, and the whole country will be cruising again. FOX, Glenn Beck, Hannity, Limbaugh etc just don't get it. They think the balance of the debt is the only important ingredient, and they just don't get it that if the economy grows enough, the debt burden shrinks even if the balance stayed the same. And of course when they don't get it, then how could any of their followers get it? They don't get it and their comments on this very forum is proof of it.
I like your optimism. I am also, but it will be a long road to recovery. I hope that we will not forget how it started and where and when it ended.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:21 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,948,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I'm a wait and see. I just have no idea what will happen. I voted for Obama because I do believe ideally, a well-run govt can do great things for us taxpayers.

Yet I'm afraid all of it will be misused and mishandled and go to waste. Just like $ pouring into the sinkhole war machine.

California is bankrupt due to the economic downturn that cannot sustain its social programs. I worked for that state and saw A LOT of waste happening. It is so unethical, if not downright immoral. An example would be if you paid me to babysit your kids and I took the $ and went out and spent it at the bar, leaving your kids at home alone.

I'm for a health system that insures all. Other countries are able to manage their funds to pay for it, why can't we?

When did this mismanagement begin?

I guess I'm pessimistic. Oh, I want to pull out of all foreign countries and close foreign bases (sorry, for those of you who love being stationed in Germany), and just send CIA operatives, Peace Corps volunteers, and diplomats in their stead. This'll save $, and be more effective.
Well beyond pessimistic now.
That's what I WAS.....during Bush's second term.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:35 PM

178 posts, read 479,295 times
Wow its a tough question. Let me say first I'm a liberal moderate democrat, who is for public health care and against gun laws. I think America needs to focus more on job creation and a lot less on bail outs anymore. We as Americans need to start buying American for we share some blame in this. The citizens of this nation cannot be angry there are no jobs and then finance a Mitsubishi. We cant sit around and say American products are crap I am going to buy this product because the Germans and the Japanese built it better. All the while we utter those words we don't look at the TV we just assembled and how it had a diode laying loose inside it. If we all keep doing this Im a pessimist. But Americans get angry and have a lot of pride to be the best so I am optimistic that we will get it together.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,522,174 times
I am truly optimistic about our nation and I will give all of you one example. On the morning of September 11th we weren't liberals or conservatives, Democrats or Republicans, black, white, hispanic, gay or straight. We were just Americans on that fatefull day and perhaps others across the world do not realize how strong we are as a country and I don't mean that in a egotistical or condescending way.
I am a first generation American born to immigrants who dearly love this nation and sometimes I hear this pessimism but I do understand it because we have always strived to be better than we are but also be critical of our shortcomings.
We must always question what we are doing and debate because anything less would be un American.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:35 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,948,422 times
[quote=MiamiRob;11714571]I am truly optimistic about our nation and I will give all of you one example. On the morning of September 11th we weren't liberals or conservatives, Democrats or Republicans, black, white, hispanic, gay or straight. We were just Americans on that fatefull day and perhaps others across the world do not realize how strong we are as a country and I don't mean that in a egotistical or condescending way.
I am a first generation American born to immigrants who dearly love this nation and sometimes I hear this pessimism but I do understand it because we have always strived to be better than we are but also be critical of our shortcomings.

Quote:
We must always question what we are doing and debate because anything less would be un American.[/quote
]

Getting harder to do when you have so many who would LOVE for nothing more than to AVOID debate with any faction of society that doesn't agree with their ideology or possible agenda.
This desire to AVOID HONEST debate.....with the PEOPLE (their true constituents).....and instead, listen to special interest groups and other lobbyists......is what I find to be most UN-American.

Also....there are those who may seek to stifle Free Speech and perhaps, despise the Constitution, have safety via politcal correctness..... that lurk around any corner.

They are just as un-American too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies