Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:49 PM

49 posts, read 83,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Why are you asking here;just do what you mind tells you to do. That way you wouldn't regret it when you get older and didn't at lesat try it. But you might learn that the grass is not always greener on the otherside but you have to see to learn it. Good luck PS- Success in any field comes after you enter the workforce ;not before in real life.
I asked mostly because I wanted to get other peoples ideas of this option for young black males in general, not so much in my personal case.

Also, it isn't as if I dislike living here. Houston is a great city. I just hear/read that there are other cities and areas in the US where there seems to be a sort of underlying bias/sterotype against black males, and wonder why they don't seek to avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 09:56 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace320 View Post
Hi, first time poster. I am a 20 year old black male in Houston. Currently, I am a senior in college and over the past few years have begun to learn about the issues "good" young black males seem to face. I am not going to explain or discuss them, because there are threads all over the place about it.

My question is, why don't young black men try living in other countries? I am personally considering possibly moving to Canada or Australia. I have also seen some videos on youtube about other who have moved, and said it was a great choice. I just wonder why more ybm don't seem to consider it?

So, what are your thoughts and opinions about this proposal. Also, which countries would you think would make for the best transition.
Not to be condescending, but what makes you think that you are a successful black man when you are a student & have not even begun your career yet? Sharp college grads are a dime a dozen in the first world. Unless you have some highly specialized skill, there is no reason for another country let you establish residency. You may not even be able to legally work in many other countries.

Unfortunately you will be a minority no matter where you go in the first world. You will always encounter some people who will discriminate against you for this reason. You have just as much chance of building a good life here in the US as any other place. Try to find a place either a. a thriving AA middle/ upper middle class (i.s. ATL) or a place with few blacks, but an ethnically open minded vibe (say Portland or Colorado Springs) & build you life. Don't let the haters get you down.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:00 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,937 times
Quote:
and wonder why they don't seek to avoid it.
I say vote with your feet. But leaving the US is kind of drastic. However, I think there's alot of us who've entertained living/working overseas. I'm one and I always flirt with the idea. Still I would be leaving more for adventure and cultural exchange than anything else.

Last edited by mossomo; 11-20-2009 at 10:21 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 10:01 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Not to be condescending, but what makes you think that you are a successful black man when you are a student & have not even begun your career yet? Sharp college grads are a dime a dozen in the first world. Unless you have some highly specialized skill, there is no reason for another country let you establish residency. You may not even be able to legally work in many other countries.

Unfortunately you will be a minority no matter where you go in the first world. You will always encounter some people who will discriminate against you for this reason. You have just as much chance of building a good life here in the US as any other place. Try to find a place either a. a thriving AA middle/ upper middle class (i.s. ATL) or a place with few blacks, but an ethnically open minded vibe (say Portland or Colorado Springs) & build you life. Don't let the haters get you down.
good advice hope for a follow through by the op

Old 11-20-2009, 10:08 PM

49 posts, read 83,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post

Sorry, I may have confused you with op and the title. I wasn't calling myself successful. In my original post I used the term "good" to describe myself. Good as in not falling into the negative sterotypes portrayed in the media. I was asking why successful young black males, ages 22 -35, don't seem to look at the option of leaving the country to avoid the negative bias.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:16 PM

403 posts, read 534,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
poster # 2 has a problem
looks like one of the many prejudice members on this site i guess.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:17 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
Haha, I'm thinking me and my fiance, who is asian, may move to Toronto or something in the near future. It's just much more of a chilled atmosphere up there.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:22 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love.doll View Post
looks like one of the many prejudice members on this site i guess.
you called that one wrong. im sure you were just hoping .sorry to let you down

Old 11-21-2009, 12:08 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure moving to NK would be impossible. I would say the same thing for Iran especially after the election controversy earlier this year. Nice sarcasm though.
As a young man I considered leaving for a short time, with the hope of staying in one or more countries for a decade or more, setting myself up financially, ultimately marrying abroad and then coming back to the USA to raise our children.

I was interested in Japan, Canada, Brazil, France, Britain, South Africa, the Dominican Republic, Guadeloupe, Martinique or Portugal.

Iran and Russia I wanted to visit, but not live for any amount of time.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:09 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
because if you dont like America you are looking for something different from America. these were the first two choices that came to mind. i say go for it.you might like it.

Your posts are always steeped in unassailable logic. I love reading them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies