Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Durham is by far one of the most liberal cities in the South. Durham county gave Obama over 75% of the vote.
I bet Austin probably came close to matching that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Another fiscal conservative I see. Texas should spend millions, possible billions of dollars, to move the capitol when it already has one that is full of history and that Texans love.
I dunno. Maybe they ought to move it to Del Rio! That way it would be more accessible to their slave labour force in Texas!

Old 11-22-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
We'll move the Capitol! We'll move it to San Antonio... wait you mean San Antonio voted for Obama ... ok move it to Dallas!... wait Dallas voted for Obama! Then try El Paso! You mean El Paso voted more heavily for Obama than Austin! How about Houston! You mean EVEN HOUSTON voted for Obama

Lubbock it is!
Lubbock or leave it!

Old 11-22-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
For once, irish, you actually made me smile. There are definitely people in Texas who hate Austin and who really would like to move the capital somewhere else. I don't know where exactly, just not Austin. But, I love Austin and feel lucky to have lived there. One thing that you might notice about this list is that several of the towns are anchored by or otherwise contain a large research university. That these towns would be in the top ten makes sense to me, as some economists have been arguing for years that the "creative class," people who make art, music, ideas or other things like that, represent the most vibrant part of our economy. I was persuaded by that argument when I first heard it, but now I am even more convinced given the current economy. The people who are going to survive are the people who can think of creative solutions--think "outside the box." Education is more important than ever--I think one's level of education and ability to be flexible is going to be a new divider in terms of who has things and who doesn't over the next 20 years.
I would say a large number- maybe not a majority but a large minority of people in Texas are anti education. They think it is better to sweat than to read. If "The Idiot" who used to be our President is any indicator, they are a ways down on the evolution scale.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Quanity vs quality.

There might be more red areas, but lots of people live in those blue areas. The suburbs outside of those blue areas are becoming more blue too.
If Obama and the Democrats are as smart as they like us to believe, next year after the mid terms, he should ram immigration reform with amnesty through. Once all the Mexicans in Texas become USA citizens, that might be enough to tip Texas into the blue column again for a long time to come.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:53 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoTex View Post
Cities in the South seem to be doing quite well. Salt Lake makes sense as well- conservative stronghold after all.
Anyone know how Olympia broke into the top 10?

Of course Texas rules as usual What do ya think?

2009 Best Performing Cities - 200 Largest Metros
Best Performing Cities 1 - 10 2009 Rank
1 Austin-Round Rock, TX MSA
2 Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood, TX MSA
3 Salt Lake City, UT MSA
4 McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX MSA
5 Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX MSA
6 Durham, NC MSA
7 Olympia, WA MSA
8 Huntsville, AL MSA
9 Lafayette, LA MSA
10 Raleigh-Cary, NC MSA

Dano
Look at the source HAHAHA

No Cred here

Old 11-22-2009, 07:00 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I would say a large number- maybe not a majority but a large minority of people in Texas are anti education. They think it is better to sweat than to read. If "The Idiot" who used to be our President is any indicator, they are a ways down on the evolution scale.
I know. I spent a fair amount of time trying to teach their children, and it was not easy. My job is much easier here.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 PM

433 posts, read 459,703 times
Quote:
Note that the areas where people actually live are blue. Texas consist of Dallas-Ft Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin and El Paso. The rest of the state is not worth an indian nickle.
So "The rest of the state is not worth an indian nickle" where people don't actually live are responsible for the 34 electoral votes for McCain?

Dano

Old 11-22-2009, 08:45 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'll let you in on a secret..people that believe those lists and move can't find jobs.
Austin unemployment at 8%. We have more people moving here than jobs created.
Newsflash..Dell laying off..47% drop in revenue.

Newsflash..we have our share of half finished subdivisions around here..weeds growing on the empty lots. Expansion stopped..layoffs, etc.

But that's ok..believe those magazines and what they tell you.
Just hop on over to the Texas forum and read a few posts about "Moving to Texas..how's the job situation".
You are as right as rain about that Happy Texan.

My wife, being a native Texan herself, has developed the "don't come here lookin' for work" attitude that I had all of those years up north in Montana ..

The job situation really does blow chunks here .. from Galveston, to Houston, over to Beaumont and back again .. there isn't even a pot for most to **** in by way of work.

If it weren't for my age, experience, independence, and creativity .. I'd be out of a job myself.

Last edited by bigskydude; 11-22-2009 at 09:01 PM..

Old 11-22-2009, 08:53 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Quote:
If Obama and the Democrats are as smart as they like us to believe, next year after the mid terms, he should ram immigration reform with amnesty through. Once all the Mexicans in Texas become USA citizens, that might be enough to tip Texas into the blue column again for a long time to come.
What Obammers and the boys up in DC forget about Mexicans, is that they are more fiscally conservative than even most Republicans are, and The Democrats can kiss their liberal ways goodbye when it comes to those who come from south of the border, because family values really are a thing to behold in the Mexican community ..

Sure .. legalize them all .. and this nation will tip to medium right for generations to come ..

We who would be working with the Mexican community on a daily basis already knows what's going to happen ... and for the liberal Dems, it aint-a-gonna-be-pretty ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies