U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-22-2009, 09:27 AM

27,209 posts, read 19,931,608 times
That's not the problem. The government, in general buy weapons from private contractors because they can do it cheaper. The government isn't proposing it builds weapons because it knows it can't compete. I used to work for a defense contractor and there is too much bureaucracy for them to compete. The USPS is failing and will continue to fail with the "green" movement. We will subsidize them until they are just abolished or forced to become more efficient. I don't expect all insurance companies to disappear but what will it matter when the government provided insurance gets "too big to fail"? We'll be revisiting these times we're living in now. And of course since it's a welfare type program once implemented it'll be nearly impossible to get rid of or cut it back for efficiency. You see the outrage at having to cut back medicare because of it's fiscal problems. Once we have an "option" and it needs to be "repaired" because it's costing too much the only viable option will be to just go all out single payer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:30 AM

9,999 posts, read 8,571,685 times
I'll tuck that prediction away that all insurance companies will fail because of a program that will cover less than 5% of the population. We'll see if you're right.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:35 AM

820 posts, read 449,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, I don't know. As has been pointed out, the Postal Service hasn't exactly sunk UPS or Fed Ex. The existence of the military hasn't kept private contractors from making billions in defense contracts (and has, actually, provided their income). Having oversight of transportation systems hasn't hurt private construction companies (and has, in fact, helped them).
Well the Postal Service corners the market on conventional mail delivery considering it's a federal offense for anybody other than you or the post office to go into your mailbox.

So what choice does someone have other than using USPS for conventional letter mail? The govt has it set up so you can't.

The USPS vs UPS argument always makes me laugh. All I can picture is the UPS man who always delivers to my door and if I'm not available always leaves a note. On the other hand you have the USPS who at my last employer we had a mailman that refused to get out of his seat to put mail in the mailbox. There was a small tree branch that kept him from pulling all the way up to the box, he could have delivered it by placing one foot on the ground, obviously to much effort. He would sit there for 10 minutes honking his horn and make you come pick up the mail from him directly. What could we do? We couldn't let someone else use the mailbox, it's illegal.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:37 AM

27,209 posts, read 19,931,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'll tuck that prediction away that all insurance companies will fail because of a program that will cover less than 5% of the population. We'll see if you're right.

Quote:
By 2019, CBO and JCT estimate, the number of nonelderly people who are uninsured would be reduced by about 31 million, leaving about 24 million nonelderly residents uninsured (about one-third of whom would be unauthorized immigrants). Under the legislation, the share of legal nonelderly residents with insurance coverage would rise from about 83 percent currently to about 94 percent. About 25 million people would purchase their own coverage through the new insurance exchanges, and there would be roughly 15 million more enrollees in Medicaid and CHIP than is projected under current law. Relative to currently projected levels, the number of people purchasing individual coverage outside the exchanges would decline by about 5 million, and the number obtaining coverage through their employer would also decline by about 5 million.
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/107xx/doc...r_11_18_09.pdf

Have you read the CBO report? Of course that could change with amendments and such and change even further by the time it gets passed, if it does.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:02 AM

19,913 posts, read 8,213,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Maybe, but it's not like anyone knows for sure. Like I said, the public option, as I understand it, will work like the private industry EXCEPT it will be government-run and available as an alternative. (but of course, if it doesn't turn a profit, money will be pumped into it anyway because they wouldn't let it fail if it isn't sustainable) It's possible that claims could be denied, just like they are with Medicare now, for instance, and in this case whoever needs to have something done will still have medical bills as a result. I don't think many people realize that Medicare denies claims, too... it's not just the private insurance companies who do this.

What types of claims does Medicare deny?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:12 AM

73,366 posts, read 33,588,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What types of claims does Medicare deny?
Medicare denies more claims than private insurers.

Medicare: Largest Denier Of Health Care Claims The Foundry (http://foundry.heritage.org/2009/10/06/medicare-largest-denier-of-health-care-claims/ - broken link)
Deny This: Guess Who Has the Highest Medical Claim Rejection Rate? | NewsBusters.org
Healthcare Economist Medicare more likely to deny claims than commerical health insurers
Medicare Denies More Insurance Claims Than the Private Sector Free Market Mojo

And you think this won't happen with our "new healthcare reform" ?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 AM

19,913 posts, read 8,213,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Medicare: Largest Denier Of Health Care Claims The Foundry (http://foundry.heritage.org/2009/10/06/medicare-largest-denier-of-health-care-claims/ - broken link)
Deny This: Guess Who Has the Highest Medical Claim Rejection Rate? | NewsBusters.org
Healthcare Economist Medicare more likely to deny claims than commerical health insurers

None of your links gave information as to why Medicare claims are denied only that they are.

This is what I found relating to why Medicare claims are denied:

Quote:
Some common reasons for denied medicare claims are; ineligibility, incorrect information, coordination-of-benefits issues, duplicate claims and missing information.

In October of 2008, Medicare will stop paying hospitals for "reasonably preventative"
or never events that should never happen in a hospital. These are events such as objects left in the body during surgery, air embollisms, blood incompatibility, vascualr-catheter associated infections, mediastinitis, urinary tract infections, pressure ulcer sores, and injuries from patient falls in a hospital.
Denied Medicare Claims | Medical Billing | Millin Medical | Long Island (http://www.millinmedical.com/denied_medicare_claims.html - broken link)

I also want to add that a lot of fraudulent claims are also denied.

Last edited by jojajn; 11-22-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 11-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
Well the Postal Service corners the market on conventional mail delivery considering it's a federal offense for anybody other than you or the post office to go into your mailbox.

So what choice does someone have other than using USPS for conventional letter mail? The govt has it set up so you can't.

The USPS vs UPS argument always makes me laugh. All I can picture is the UPS man who always delivers to my door and if I'm not available always leaves a note. On the other hand you have the USPS who at my last employer we had a mailman that refused to get out of his seat to put mail in the mailbox. There was a small tree branch that kept him from pulling all the way up to the box, he could have delivered it by placing one foot on the ground, obviously to much effort. He would sit there for 10 minutes honking his horn and make you come pick up the mail from him directly. What could we do? We couldn't let someone else use the mailbox, it's illegal.
For the record - I'm not defending how the Postal Service is run. That's not the point. It simply has a unique role in providing universal coverage to all Americans (even the most remote, uneconomically viable corners of the country), and yet very successful private-sector businesses are still able to co-exist, providing a system in which the private sector provides a lot of the service and the public sector fills in the gaps.

It's not without its flaws, and perhaps needs to be restructured now that we have so many private businesses in the business of delivering packages, but there are strong parallels to the current health care debate.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/107xx/doc...r_11_18_09.pdf

Have you read the CBO report? Of course that could change with amendments and such and change even further by the time it gets passed, if it does.
I guess my wording came off different than I intended. You very well may be right. I seriously want to wait and see what happens. I, personally, don't think private insurance will sink (and if they start to, you can be sure policies will be altered very quickly).

Old 11-22-2009, 10:27 AM

20,209 posts, read 6,928,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I do wish you would supply some credible sources. A couple of bloggers, Newsbusters, Heritage Foundation? Please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies