Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 03:52 PM

805 posts, read 1,506,139 times

Advertisements

Perhaps splitting the country up into 50 separate ones, just like how the EU contains separate countries, but they all cooperate in terms of trade and travel.

That way, each state is able to do the things it likes to do and if someone in one state is disgusted with its policies, they can easily migrate to another state.

The citizen gets what he/she wants, and the state gets rid of those who dislike how its run. Perfect!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 05:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,328,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Perhaps splitting the country up into 50 separate ones, just like how the EU contains separate countries, but they all cooperate in terms of trade and travel.

That way, each state is able to do the things it likes to do and if someone in one state is disgusted with its policies, they can easily migrate to another state.

The citizen gets what he/she wants, and the state gets rid of those who dislike how its run. Perfect!
That's how the US is supposed to be run, the entire idea behind states rights and the 10th amendment. The problem is to many federal politicians who have gotten away with violating the constitution. The feds have gotten WAY out of control with taxes, extortion (do what we want or you don't get funding), and passing laws they have no right to.

Sadly today that is NOT how the US is run and there probably isn't any way to get back to that short of tearing it down and starting over.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:22 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,766,567 times
I love the United States and am shocked that so many people want to see the United States fail because they don't like the President. In the eyes of a true patriot you are all traitors. If you don't like the USA you can leave, but you aren't taking a US state with you.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:24 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,688,603 times
I vote to do the split. The liberals get San Francisco and we get to keep the military. Fair trade.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:20 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,433,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I love the United States and am shocked that so many people want to see the United States fail because they don't like the President. In the eyes of a true patriot you are all traitors. If you don't like the USA you can leave, but you aren't taking a US state with you.
I voted for this president and I'm all for anyone seceding who wants to, and would vote for my state to secede if it were up for a vote. "If this be treason, make the most of it."

Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 PM

14,863 posts, read 8,149,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post

The only problem I have with the constitution is, I don't think it actually gives enough power to the states either. One of the causes of the civil war was the federal governments right to impose tariffs, the south wanted low tariffs and the north wanted high tariffs. And secondly, immigration policy isn't set by state governments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
That's how the US is supposed to be run, the entire idea behind states rights and the 10th amendment. The problem is to many federal politicians who have gotten away with violating the constitution. The feds have gotten WAY out of control with taxes, extortion (do what we want or you don't get funding), and passing laws they have no right to.

Sadly today that is NOT how the US is run and there probably isn't any way to get back to that short of tearing it down and starting over.
You are right, the only way to fix the country at this point, is either for us to all just start getting along, or to start over again from scratch. But how do you really start over? How would this whole process really work?

Quote:
I voted for this president and I'm all for anyone seceding who wants to, and would vote for my state to secede if it were up for a vote. "If this be treason, make the most of it."
I also voted for the president because I couldn't imagine four more years of Republican control, especially the wars, which I was opposed to from the start. But I would definitely vote to break the country up if it was an option.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:02 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,590,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I could not agree with you more. The calls for splitting up the country are one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:22 AM

14,863 posts, read 8,149,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I could not agree with you more. The calls for splitting up the country are one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard.
Why?

Old 11-23-2009, 01:48 AM

37,048 posts, read 41,993,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Why?
There are no real LINES on which to split the country. Nothing that will last anyway.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:44 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,445,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Although the motto is "strength in diversity" it's also a weakness when everyone acts in their own best interests. I was having a convo with my son about this very subject 2 days ago a lamenting the fact that we DON'T have an American Culture that everyone can rally around. We don't even have a culture that other have to assimilate into. It's a problem, no doubt about it. In simple terms it's like we are so concerned with the feelings of others that we stop caring about ourselves.
Really, we don't have an American culture? What would you call the Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July? These didn't originate in the British Isles or Germany.. Do they really care about the Super Bowl or college football in foreign countries? It's unique to us. Our culture might not be as refined or old as many other nations, but we do have a culture. After traveling abroad for extended periods of time, it's always noticeable how many common cultural attributes Americans share.

Look, I grew up with white, black, Asian, and Hispanic Americans. And in our little suburban melting pots in California we all ended up liking the same sports, music, ate the same foods, dressed the same.. I also had conservative family members in rural California, Wisconsin, and Georgia..And while we had some differing opinions politically and might have slightly different tastes in music, we weren't all that different. I used to hold some narrow minded stereotypes concerning the Southern US..until I actually traveled there and found that even people who were on the surface of a completely different political creed shared a lot of the same viewpoints I did on issues like the Iraq War.

If you travel around Europe, there is much more difference culturally in simply going from Germany to Italy(a very short difference) than there is going all the way from Maine to California. Honestly, I wish there were more regional cultures still apparent in the US. It's kind of disappointing to travel across the country and see the same styles of buildings, same stores and restaurants that'd I find back home in the NW.

Dividing up the country might sound to some like a quick-fix solution to our current national woes--but the problem is there aren't any easily delineated lines to divide us up by... Look at the voting patterns in the last several presidential elections. Culturally we're all mixed up as well. There are conservative Christians and small town rodeos right on the outskirts of the extremely liberal hipster oasis of Portland, Oregon. And it's not as simple as half the nation is conservative and half is liberal..There is a huge chunk of the American public in the middle that's fairly moderate as far as politics go. But then again, it's really the extremists on both the right and the left that seem to get the most attention when national issues come up for debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies