Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:57 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The term "death panels" is just a euphemism for a group of bean counters who will use statistics, and charts and graphs to decide what is too expensive, to extravagant or just seen as tossing good money after bad, and limiting specific medical procedures, operations, drugs and medicines. Column A will type of medical care, column B will be the age of denial, or cutoff age.

Column A____________________Column B____________
Mammogram ------------------ Under 40 years old
Premature baby care -------- ? months old at birth
Pacemaker------------------- 80+ years old
No, actually the term "death panel" is just a term coined by Republican propagandists.

What makes it worse, is that the very same Republicans, such as Grassley who tried to scare people "death panels" multiple times in his town-halls, actually VOTED FOR THEM in 2003. First they want them, and then they oppose them????? What's up with that???? And then Grassley goes on TV to admit that "death panels" were not even on the bill. Sheeesh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 10:00 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Do you really think killing granny is the answer or only the first step?
Quote:
Yep, the death panels are right around the corner and they're pushing out the propaganda to get them "acceptable".
Without a doubt the media giants are conditioning us to face the inevitable: government and private insurance will NOT go on paying for care for those with no hope for a meaningful quality of life (severe brain injuries from accidents, soldiers with PTSD & severe brain injuries, elderly who only have a few years left anyway---people requiring 24/7 care) The government, the American public, the media---everyone knows we cannot afford to take care of 300+ million people who are going to die in the next 50-odd years. We, as a nation, have to face this reality. It's in the hundreds of billions of dollars right now. In the next 10 years it will zoom to trillions.

Me personally, I don't care if I get the quality care in a hospital at a cost of (by then) $25,000/day. Why waste that kind of money when it can go to help a youngster hurt in an auto accident. Please just give me enough morphine to keep me so doped up that I don't know who or what I am. I just want to go from being in bed (when the pain and the long road to the inevitable start) to waking up to the Judgment Seat. My only fear: some ******* Dr. will fear the FDA and not order the pain meds for me.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:00 AM

1,179 posts, read 975,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yep, the death panels are right around the corner and they're pushing out the propaganda to get them "acceptable".
This is the kind of stupid talk the 60 minutes article was trying to stop. Do yourself a favor and actually watch the piece, rather than drone out your Beckbot non-sense.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:18 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Watch this excellent episode on last week's NOW on PBS about soldiers returning form the ME with devastating brain injuries and what it takes to administer care on a 24-hour basis by the VET and then by their loved ones when the Vet has to cut them loose to make way for more coming in. It's devastating. One wife, who has a PhD in chemical engineering has had to put her entire life on hold to care for her husband at home 24/7 because the government just cannot do it anymore. The husband is catatonic and has, in my estimation, based on the facts, less than a 1% chance of regaining any cognitive skills. She is a saint, but how long she can hold up is anybody's guess.

Coming Home? & Paradise Lost, Revisited . NOW on PBS

Old 11-23-2009, 11:05 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
That there are even any dissenting opinions on this is truely amazing. That it has become politicized is disgusting.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, actually the term "death panel" is just a term coined by Republican propagandists.

What makes it worse, is that the very same Republicans, such as Grassley who tried to scare people "death panels" multiple times in his town-halls, actually VOTED FOR THEM in 2003. First they want them, and then they oppose them????? What's up with that???? And then Grassley goes on TV to admit that "death panels" were not even on the bill. Sheeesh...
You are naive if you think there will not be any bean counters deciding when certain medical procedures will be denied, based on the age of the person seeking care, and the costs involved.

They will use cold hard statistics, were no thought will be given to the spirit of the 80 year old grandmother seeking a pacemaker. They will let statistics compare the age of the applicant to a comparative cost savings analysis, and deny the procedure. Granny will be seen as too old, past her statistical life expectancy, and the cost of installing a pacemaker someone who may only live a year or two longer is just too much of a financial burden on our taxpayer funded health care system.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:19 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
I am 60 years old. Both of my kids have my living will and I have a tatoo on my chest that says "do not resuscitate". In other words if I don't come around on my own, let it go.
I know someone that her mother had a stroke and the Doctors said it was useless to keep her on life support. The daughter refused to let her to be taken off and the mother recovered and lived a good and full life for another ten years.. Just goes to show that doctors don't always know what they are talking about..

Old 11-25-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You are naive if you think there will not be any bean counters deciding when certain medical procedures will be denied, based on the age of the person seeking care, and the costs involved.

They will use cold hard statistics, were no thought will be given to the spirit of the 80 year old grandmother seeking a pacemaker. They will let statistics compare the age of the applicant to a comparative cost savings analysis, and deny the procedure. Granny will be seen as too old, past her statistical life expectancy, and the cost of installing a pacemaker someone who may only live a year or two longer is just too much of a financial burden on our taxpayer funded health care system.
Thanks for sharing your personal theory.

Yes, every insurance company has their bean counters, and if you have pre-existing condition, then I'd recommend you never change your job because if you do, you'll never have medical insurance again. That's the way it works today.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:35 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks for sharing your personal theory.

Yes, every insurance company has their bean counters, and if you have pre-existing condition, then I'd recommend you never change your job because if you do, you'll never have medical insurance again. That's the way it works today.
In Texas if you change jobs the new group policy has to pick you up even with pre-existing conditions. If you go from one job straight to the other there is no waiting period...If not there is a one year waiting period but only on the pre-existing condition.. This could have changed from the time I retired but I have not heard about it.. I know my son went on his wifes policy at her job and the was no waiting period.. And he has a pre-existing conditions.. That was about two years ago.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
In Texas if you change jobs the new group policy has to pick you up even with pre-existing conditions. If you go from one job straight to the other there is no waiting period...If not there is a one year waiting period but only on the pre-existing condition.. This could have changed from the time I retired but I have not heard about it.. I know my son went on his wifes policy at her job and the was no waiting period.. And he has a pre-existing conditions.. That was about two years ago.
I am sorry to inform you that the pre-existing condition issue is a big problem for thousands of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies