Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:58 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I too was surprised when he got the nomination. I think most were, but I never thought he was forgetful or screwed up during the campaign. I just think he was a poor choice and missed the charm that helped Obama. Too many of us vote with our hearts instead of heads.

Nita
Anyone using their heads while voting wouldn't have voted for the McCain / Palin Team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 01:13 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
where did you get that idea? I had several employees when I was a manager for a call center who qualified for WIC. They didn't have infant children. Nita
WIC covers children up to the age of 5.

WIC is an acronym for "women, infants and children".

Old 12-03-2009, 08:47 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
WIC covers children up to the age of 5.

WIC is an acronym for "women, infants and children".
And she has a daughter. But she's way over 5 years old.

You have a misconception about WIC. Plenty of people get it, not just women with infants or children up to 5 years old. You're way off base on that.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:51 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Never processed a credit application from a conservative welfare pimp. I did lots of them from liberals. They generally took home a verifiable $5000 per month without actually working at a job. The key is having lots of kids born out of wedlock. Then they can get money for caring for their own children in addition to lawsuit settlement payments, social security disability, etc.
hahaha....laughable.

Conservatives...the saintly, "moral", integrity-filled pillars of society...hahaha

Better load up on the bread and mustard, folks. Because this guy is slicing the baloney thick and tossing it around.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
Anyone using their heads while voting wouldn't have voted for the McCain / Palin Team.

The very sad fact is, there was NO viable candidate to vote for. Big indication in the demise of a nation. I imagine many on both sides had to take their Pepto Bismol in order to make it to the voting booth.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveningGrace View Post
I'd be embarrassed too if I had to rely on tripping up 17 year olds as another way to make fun of Palin.
If the girl was wearing the shirt as a political statement, it was fair to question her.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
At what age should someone know who they're supporting? I was in boot camp at 17. Seventeen is plenty old enough to discern fact from fiction. And if 17 is too young, what's she doing there in the first place, wearing a t-shirt that makes a political statement? Unless her birthday was within the last few weeks, she'll be voting next year. Her age is no excuse for ignorance.
I too was in boot camp at seventeen, but that in no way makes one an adult...It if did our parents would not have to sign for us to join at 17...

Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
It's nice to see that even after the election, conservatives are still playing the "liberal gotcha media" card every time they expose themselves as being shamefully ignorant regarding the issues they care about most.

Last Wednesday, a media firestorm erupted after a seventeen-year-old girl named Jackie was interviewed by MSNBC's Norah O'Donnell while standing in line during Sarah Palin's Michigan book signing. Jackie, wearing a shirt that read, "The US government handed out $700 billion in Wall Street bailouts and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" was caught off-guard when O'Donnell informed her that Sarah Palin was on record as supporting the bailout.

Read the rest:
David Vines: If It Were Me, I'd Be Embarrassed

At 17 years old you don't know enough to know you don't know anything yet. I do not feel sorry for the girl at all. Yes, she is completely uninformed and probably not the brightest bulb in the the shield when it comes to politics, but at 17 who really is?

The embarrassment and blame should be placed with her father for lying to her and feeding her such dishonest garbage. I don't know anything more about this father daughter duo, other than what was shown on the video, but i will say the problem is not the 17 year old girl the problem is her father not teaching her to also think for herself.

When i was a teen i was the same way. Whatever my parents said was basically what i repeated in public and school, but we are all not given well informed parents, so for some of us it makes us look smarter than we actually are and for others of us it makes us look dumber than we actually are. She in this instance and question is on the dumber side of things, but it is just one question, so let's not "label" them idiots, just extremely uninformed about something they are passionately behind. (That's the scary part)

We really need to start teaching reasoning skills in school or at home. Parents really need to start to ask their kids questions as to why they believe in things, i know my Dad would grill me about the opinions he had that i repeated and my usual answer was because you said it and it made sense, which was unacceptable. I can't tell you how many mini essays i wrote on my opinion and why it was very important to form your own opinion but also recognize when you're given good advice.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
And she has a daughter. But she's way over 5 years old.

You have a misconception about WIC. Plenty of people get it, not just women with infants or children up to 5 years old. You're way off base on that.
I think you have WIC confused with food stamps. See the link below:

http://www.polkcountyhealth.net/wic/qualifications/ (broken link)

Old 12-03-2009, 09:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
At what age should someone know who they're supporting? I was in boot camp at 17. Seventeen is plenty old enough to discern fact from fiction. And if 17 is too young, what's she doing there in the first place, wearing a t-shirt that makes a political statement? Unless her birthday was within the last few weeks, she'll be voting next year. Her age is no excuse for ignorance.
Exactly right as Mr. Vines' essay proves.

Last edited by TigerLily24; 12-03-2009 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies