Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 PM

207 posts, read 324,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Oh I don't know about that. They used to own 1/4 of the country before you took it. Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California come to mind.
Do you understand the concept of how countries form? Just about every country in history came about from one group coming into an area and fighting someone else for land. We fought for the Southwest fair and square . We won it! If it is not rightfully ours' then I guess that means every other country in the world has some land they need to give up as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:21 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Oh I don't know about that. They used to own 1/4 of the country before you took it. Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California come to mind.

You left out Utah, part of Colorado and part of Wyoming.
Which were part of New Spain in 1819

Old 11-23-2009, 08:24 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
Ummm, okay. What percentage of KKK members have gone around killing people? The same with the Aryan Brotherhood? Give me examples from within the past 40 years. I don't support either group, by the way. But don't call them terrorists just because of their thoughts.
Please tell me this is a joke post?

To suggest that the KKK or the Aryan Brotherhood are something other than terrorist organizations reeks of racism.

That is precisely what they are and what they do.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I just found an interesting speech made by the Secretary of the Interior of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Administration where he defines what it means to be an American. Part of what he said was:

"What constitutes an American? Not color nor race nor religion. Not the pedigree of his family nor the place of his birth. Not the coincidence of his citizenship. Not his social status nor his bank account. Not his trade nor his profession.

"An American is one who loves justice and believes in the dignity of man. An American is one who will fight for his freedom and that of his neighbor. An American is one who will sacrifice prosperity, ease and security in order that he and his children may retain the rights of free men. An American is one in whose heart is engraved the immortal second sentence of the Declaration of Independence."

It makes more sense than most of the stuff I've read on this thread. I believe that second sentence Mr. Ickes was referring to was: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." And his speech was part of a debate where he was trying to get America to help Britain out during WWII and we all know how that turned out...he wasn't talking about Americans fighting Americans. To me, anyone who is talking about overthrowing our government and is stockpiling guns and ammo for "the day" is a traitor, not a patriot. We have had peaceful transfers of government for centuries and true Americans understand the importance of that.

USA Patriotism! ... Harold L. Ickes' Definition Of An American (May 18, 1941)
And when the Secretary under FDR made that statement, this nation was 90% white. If he was refering to the blacks and Native Americans, I am most CERTAINLY NOT against that as I already explained. I highly doubt it was ever FDR's intention for this country to become majority nonwhite. If it was his intention, then why did we have to wait all the way until 1965 for an immigration law to be passed by Kennedy that started allowing waves of immigrants to come in from non-European countries?

And the "all men are created equal " bit is constantly taken out of context. If you remember your American history, that really only applied to free white men who owned land. Now I am not saying I agree with that viewpoint 100%.

And before anyone mentions Lincoln, I have read some stuff he said first hand that was down right racist. He wanted to free the slaves but then he also wanted all blacks shipped back to Africa (again, not saying I agree with that).

Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Please tell me this is a joke post?

To suggest that the KKK or the Aryan Brotherhood are something other than terrorist organizations reeks of racism.

That is precisely what they are and what they do.
It is one thing to call them racist, but don't call them terrorists unless you have evidence that they are actually plotting to kill someone. I don't know about you, but in my lifetime I don't really remember too many instances of KKK members killing someone. Again, am not supporting them. And do you consider the Black Panthers terrorists?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Do you understand the concept of how countries form? Just about every country in history came about from one group coming into an area and fighting someone else for land. We fought for the Southwest fair and square . We won it! If it is not rightfully ours' then I guess that means every other country in the world has some land they need to give up as well.
Using your logic, if the American government made a deal with the Mexican Government to annex Mexico as a protectorate or state, would you accept them as Americans or would you deport them all to Brazil?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
It is one thing to call them racist, but don't call them terrorists unless you have evidence that they are actually plotting to kill someone. I don't know about you, but in my lifetime I don't really remember too many instances of KKK members killing someone. Again, am not supporting them. And do you consider the Black Panthers terrorists?
In all honesty, you'll have to refresh my memories on the Panthers. The only thing I remember them doing was scare the sh*t out of the white population by exercising their second amendment rights and of course Hoover had them killed for doing such a blatent thing. Imagine, blacks openly walking the streets with loaded firearms. Intolerable!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Here WE go again with WE, I didn't fight for Texas or California and either did you. So how can that be used to measure your Americanism or mine

Old 11-23-2009, 08:46 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
And when the Secretary under FDR made that statement, this nation was 90% white. If he was refering to the blacks and Native Americans, I am most CERTAINLY NOT against that as I already explained. I highly doubt it was ever FDR's intention for this country to become majority nonwhite. If it was his intention, then why did we have to wait all the way until 1965 for an immigration law to be passed by Kennedy that started allowing waves of immigrants to come in from non-European countries?

And the "all men are created equal " bit is constantly taken out of context. If you remember your American history, that really only applied to free white men who owned land. Now I am not saying I agree with that viewpoint 100%.

And before anyone mentions Lincoln, I have read some stuff he said first hand that was down right racist. He wanted to free the slaves but then he also wanted all blacks shipped back to Africa (again, not saying I agree with that).
I don't presume to put words in a historical figure's mouth the way so many people here are willing to do. But in our not so distant history Italians and Irish were not considered to be white, back when they were recruited here to work in the coal mines. The Chinese have been here since they built the railroads. Throw in the blacks, the Spainish and the Native Americans I would say we've never really had the all white nation of your illusions except for maybe that short period between the Mayflower and the first importing of slaves. The Statue of Liberty says words to the effect, "give me your tired, your poor and people longing to be free." I'm sorry for you that in this century those poor people longing to be free are people of color.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Here WE go again with WE, I didn't fight for Texas or California and either did you. So how can that be used to measure your Americanism or mine
That would be the right wing royal "We". The "We" of Manifest Destiny. As in "We" are entitled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies