Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I really hope I am never treated by a judgmental Doctor like that.
and do you blame him or her? I certainly don't. Why should we pay for people to use the emergancy room when they seem to be able to afford some things many of us either can't or we work hard for. You are another example of take from those who work and give to those who do not. The doctor didn't say he didn't do his job did he?

Lucario, we are not talking about those who have lost their jobs, these abuses have been going on for years, not just in the past year or so.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 11-24-2009 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The ER problem is one of the many problems with the current HC system. Everyone who does not have insurance use the ER services, and to treat a patient at ER costs 10 times more than the ones who are treated at the doctors clinics, and the cost is directed to the tax-payer, and the patients who have insirance.
I do agree with you. That is one thing that does need to be changed.. Let's hope, if and when we get a health bill it will address this very problem.

Nita

Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Working in a hospital in California for close to twenty years, I've seen the abuse on a daily basis. You can keep your head buried in the sand but the truth is the system is being abused.

.................................................. ..................................................

Ok, so your point is what? We should deny medical care to the poor period? Or do you think we ought to have a "court" that hears each case and than decides whether someone is really entitled to be seen at the emergency room? Of course, some may die while this decision is being made.

Look, I'm sure there are people who take advantage of free emergency services. Personally, I'd like to send the population of "illegals" back to Mexico or wherever.

However, doesn't it make more sense to create a taxpayer funded free clinic near the hospital that treats sore throats, infected slivers, sinus infections, and anxiety disorders? That way the ER docs would have a place to send these people and ER rooms wouldn't be full of people creating a dangerous situation for those who truly need the care they offer?

If you think this is an argument against universal healthcare its not. Universal healthcare could probably deal with these patients cheaper than seeing them in an emergency room.
I don't think that was her point, she was simply saying the abuse is more common than many realize.. Ask any doctor or nurse. In fact, our granddaughter, who is a nurse and wants to work ER has been forewarned by many in the field, most of what she will see isn't the trauma situation like she thinks, but the same ole, same ole patients weekly: on medicaid and suffering from colds, etc or think they are suffering from something.

Nita

Old 11-24-2009, 11:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
You are correct when you describe people without health insurance, as you have above. However, those who fall into those categories are only about 25% of the "47 million without health insurance". (Census Bureau's own stats.) The large majority of those without health insurance fall into one of 4 categories:

1) illegal immigrants
2) those making more than $75,000 per year but choose not to be in a plan
3) younger workers who choose not to participate in their employers health plans
4) those eligible for government programs but, for one reason or another, have not been enrolled.

The true statistics regarding people without health insurance are difficult to nail down because of the fluid nature of people moving into and out of the various programs and plans available.

Those who object to what is being offered now, as I do, largely agree that something should be done to cover those who want it, need it but cannot get it but we do not think it necessary to demolish the existing structure to correct what needs to be corrected. After all, if "47 million people" are without health insurance but only a few million of those fall into the truly needful category, that leaves 275,000,000+ who are quite happy with what they have now.
First, I want to correct something I posted earlier. The number of "involuntarily uninsured" is actually 57%, not 47%. Well over half.

Let's look at the 4 categories posted above.

1. About 25% of the uninsured in this country are non-US citizens. Not all of them are "illegal immigrants".
2. 37.4% of people with family incomes >$70K are "voluntarily uninsured". (From the link I posted). This does not mean that 37.4% of the uninusred make >70K.
3. Younger people are more likely to be uninsured, and also more likely to be involuntarily uninsured, solely on the basis of income. More are probably VI on the basis of working for employers that don't offer insurance (many work part time in retail, restaurants, etc than older people).
4. I don't know of any studies of the actual # who are eligible but not enrolled, but I doubt it is as large as many seem to think. Everyone on welfare is automatically enrolled in medicaid, for example.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-24-2009 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-24-2009, 11:28 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and do you blame him or her? I certainly don't. Why should we pay for people to use the emergancy room when they seem to be able to afford some things many of us either can't or we work hard for. You are another example of take from those who work and give to those who do not. The doctor didn't say he didn't do his job did he?

Lucario, we are not talking about those who have lost their jobs, these abuses have been going on for years, not just in the past year or so.

Nita
I was referring to the poster who complained about the cars people drove up to food pantries in. Having volunteered at a food pantry, I can tell you that these people are hardly gaming the system. Those who are professionals or former professionals are very much embarrassed about their changed economic status.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:45 PM

272 posts, read 295,595 times
I agree their are people who take advantage so does that mean those who do not take advantage but have a need should be punished. One gold tooth cost let's say $500 you pay once a pair of shoes $100 once what every two years or year, cell phone $50 dollars a month. yes maybe they should let their teeth rot wear cheap shoes, forget the cell phone and put it towards what the $800 dollars a month insurance cost when you may not need till your 50 years old. Putting all those goodies together will not pay the $800 dollars they need a month to pay for insurance.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:09 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,503,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think that was her point, she was simply saying the abuse is more common than many realize.. Ask any doctor or nurse. In fact, our granddaughter, who is a nurse and wants to work ER has been forewarned by many in the field, most of what she will see isn't the trauma situation like she thinks, but the same ole, same ole patients weekly: on medicaid and suffering from colds, etc or think they are suffering from something.

Nita
Exactly.... I am not saying I am for or against universal health, but something as to be done to stop all the abuse.

By the way... I'm a dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies