Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2009, 10:48 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,760,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
To the OP

I would suspect for the same reason that "progressive" liberals hate so many people. Because they hate everyone who does not comply with their personal vision of what they believe everyone else's existence should be.

"Christians" are no more hateful than "atheists" if they try to manipulate others through force.

You are deflecting just like others and generalizing the question. I said many. I said conservative christians not all. I gave many clear examples of what I was speaking about. You cannot compare that to such a vague statement. Please show me your info to support that progressive liberals as a whole hate anyone or have a stance of discrimination. I doubt that you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,661,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
You are deflecting just like others and generalizing the question. I said many. I said conservative christians not all. I gave many clear examples of what I was speaking about. You cannot compare that to such a vague statement. Please show me your info to support that progressive liberals as a whole hate anyone or have a stance of discrimination. I doubt that you can.
I don't think you know what a true Christian is so it's not possible to have a discussion on the same level.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:05 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,757,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Because the majority of christians are hypocrites, they go to church on Sunday and backbite their neighbors after the service...
They don't wait until after service, they're in the pews ignoring the priest whispering over the sermon. You know it's completely hopeless when the pastors wife and the pastor himself are throwing into the habit. Children hear everything, and many of my lessons in church were examples of what never to be. Shall we have contests between denominations offering the prize to the worst gossips? I wish organized religion would take pause as congregations and look hard at themselves if they truly meant to have a relationship with their maker. Leadership ought to be steering them away but it's far more lucrative to use it as a tool.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
They don't wait until after service, they're in the pews ignoring the priest whispering over the sermon. You know it's completely hopeless when the pastors wife and the pastor himself are throwing into the habit. Children hear everything, and many of my lessons in church were examples of what never to be. Shall we have contests between denominations offering the prize to the worst gossips? I wish organized religion would take pause as congregations and look hard at themselves if they truly meant to have a relationship with their maker. Leadership ought to be steering them away but it's far more lucrative to use it as a tool.
It's human nature, and hasn't changed much over the years. Some of the early churches had the same problem. St. Paul addressed it. People slip and fail all the time, but most realize it and resolve to do better. Some prefer to stay in that state and entertain their baser natures. Just because people do that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep striving towards higher ground.

One's relationship with God is personal and you (not you, generic you) can't blame the church, the pastor, the priest, or anyone else for failure to maintain that relationship on the level where it ought to be. And you can't do that without wanting to because that requires commitment and true repentance.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I don't think you know what a true Christian is so it's not possible to have a discussion on the same level.

Re-read the thread man. I know a ton about christianity. It was forced down my throat for 12 years of school by hypocrites. This is another tactic for you to try to discredit me even though you can't. I probably know more about christianity than half the posters on here defending the religion.

If you have any actual response I would love to hear it.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
It's human nature, and hasn't changed much over the years. Some of the early churches had the same problem. St. Paul addressed it. People slip and fail all the time, but most realize it and resolve to do better. Some prefer to stay in that state and entertain their baser natures. Just because people do that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep striving towards higher ground.

One's relationship with God is personal and you (not you, generic you) can't blame the church, the pastor, the priest, or anyone else for failure to maintain that relationship on the level where it ought to be. And you can't do that without wanting to because that requires commitment and true repentance.

One of the things I love about christianity. The unfettered defense for everything. When things go good it is because of the grace of god. When things go bad its humans slipping in human nature or god testing us. No need to think for yourself or believe that maybe just maybe you can do things on your own. So all good things like sunshine, water, food, shelter, family , prosperity etc etc are because of god. However all bad things like cancer, aids, war, violence, poverty are just a test from that same god

Old 11-28-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Re-read the thread man. I know a ton about christianity. It was forced down my throat for 12 years of school by hypocrites. This is another tactic for you to try to discredit me even though you can't. I probably know more about christianity than half the posters on here defending the religion.

If you have any actual response I would love to hear it.
Like I said, it appears to be futile to argue, rather than to discuss.

Quote:
One of the things I love about christianity. The unfettered defense for everything. When things go good it is because of the grace of god. When things go bad its humans slipping in human nature or god testing us. No need to think for yourself or believe that maybe just maybe you can do things on your own. So all good things like sunshine, water, food, shelter, family , prosperity etc etc are because of god. However all bad things like cancer, aids, war, violence, poverty are just a test from that same god
You know, I don't understand everything about God and what happens to us here on earth, and why. My family has been through some horrendous times under Communism. Some of them did not surive. Why does God allow unthinkable suffering and atrocities to be committed by people? There's a rabbi that wrote a book entitled "Why Bad Things Happen to Good People". You might give it a read sometime.

I do know that I take my very next breath because God allows it. So do you.
And I don't allow the actions of other people to rob me of my faith in God, even if I don't understand everything about Him. What I do understand is more than sufficient for now.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:44 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,431,784 times
Quote:
I dont believe this. I know many christians who support abortion and gay rights but they are afraid to speak out against the church or afraid t leave the church. It's the whole fear of God concept.

Fear of an all loving God seems way to hypocritical

It is not fear of God it is fear that you will not be with Him in Heaven.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:52 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,431,784 times
Quote:
Again deflecting does not make your beliefs or actions any better. I have not seen to many muslims on this forum. Plus the topic was conservative/ fundamental christians to begin with. I find any organized religion that feels the same way to be just as guilty but that does not make it ok for christians.

I am not deflecting but you are trying to make it seem as though only Christians have these feelings about Heaven and we are not the only ones. The point I was trying to make is why does no one question Jews feelings on Heaven or Muslims feeling on Heaven. Why does no one call them hypocrites. People are very quick to slam Christians when we hardly have a foothold on Heaven and Hell.

You think we are hypocrites because YOU FEEL that people are born gay well not every one feels that way.

You think that we are hypocrite because YOU FEEL that God should let anyone that is "good" into Heaven.

Well none of what you feel matters. It is about God and His laws. Either you chose to follow them or you don't and just like any thing in life if you don't follow the rules you are many time punished. Nothing hypocritical about that.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Like I said, it appears to be futile to argue, rather than to discuss.
futile because you don't have any real stance for your argument.

Quote:
You know, I don't understand everything about God and what happens to us here on earth, and why. My family has been through some horrendous times under Communism. Some of them did not surive. Why does God allow unthinkable suffering and atrocities to be committed by people? There's a rabbi that wrote a book entitled "Why Bad Things Happen to Good People". You might give it a read sometime.

I do know that I take my very next breath because God allows it. So do you.
And I don't allow the actions of other people to rob me of my faith in God, even if I don't understand everything about Him. What I do understand is more than sufficient for now.
But see that is merely your belief. I believe that me taking my next breath has nothing to do with the god you believe in. I do believe in powers greater than I and believe that we are spiritual people in our own ways. But anyway Exactly what I believe is not really the issue. The reality is I do have an understanding of what christianity is and chose not to accept it. As I chose not to accept other organized religions as well. I find the majority of them to be stolen from ancient beliefs held by pagans and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies